Need a certificate of residence

I now have a non-O (volunteer) visa, I need a certificate of residency to open a bank account and get a driving license so I can "live normally" in the country. I searched for info on internet but it seems that in Bangkok, it is possible to get one only after the first 90 day report which I obviously haven't done, because my non-o visa just started.

My embassy will not do it as it is the kind of country which doesn't give a damn about its own citizens (EU European country, non-UK).

So what can be done in that case? I have a rent lease (service apartment). Can't I just go to CW with that document? 

Or do I have to wait until next year to be able to open a bank account? The certificate of residence seems an important document requested in many situations.

Chaeng Wattana has a firm requirement that you need to be doing 90 day reports to them to apply for a certificate of residency.

Try to do a 90 day report since you probably have been in the country longer than days. They might do one if you explain why you need to do one.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana has a firm requirement that you need to be doing 90 day reports to them to apply for a certificate of residency.

Try to do a 90 day report since you probably have been in the country longer than days. They might do one if you explain why you need to do one.

related question: I have received my ED-visa extension from Chaeng Wattana a few weeks ago, together with a notice to do my 90-day report in December. As I have never previously done 90-day reports but have stayed in Thailand now since March, do you think the visa extension essentially serves as the first 90-day report? (which would allow me to request the residence certificate). 

10 hours ago, span1668 said:

through agent 

If the agent obtained the extension from a different Province than where you were registered as residing, then your now registered as residing in a different Province using a false address.

This is why the cost usually includes the agent submitting 90 day reports on your behalf.

Either contact the agent to obtain a C of R from the IO that issued the extension, OR, file a new TM30 at CW to formally change your address, then submit your own 90 day reports and obtain the C of R from CW.

36 minutes ago, triplez said:

As I have never previously done 90-day reports but have stayed in Thailand now since March, do you think the visa extension essentially serves as the first 90-day report? (which would allow me to request the residence certificate). 

No they would not. You need a record in their system that you did a 90 day report.

some banks, my SCB here for example, will sometimes accept a proof of address, say a contract with a landlord, or some other proof of where you live. I used my Thai driving licence when I opened my account.  It very much depends on the Branch. If you have anything that shows where you live, try that.  

13 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Bangkok Bank gave me one in Chiang Rai with a 6 month tourist visa and the Tiraks assistance. I was promising to move in money for a house and the 800k though.

Bangkok Bank gave me a bank account in Pattaya, and my Thai gf signed as a guarantor. I live in her house. 

Do you have someone in Thailand that you can trust and that trusts you? 

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

If the agent obtained the extension from a different Province than where you were registered as residing, then your now registered as residing in a different Province using a false address.

This is why the cost usually includes the agent submitting 90 day reports on your behalf.

Either contact the agent to obtain a C of R from the IO that issued the extension, OR, file a new TM30 at CW to formally change your address, then submit your own 90 day reports and obtain the C of R from CW.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Or just read what is stamped in his passport, usually it states where the visa was issued.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You need contact agent. They could have obtained your non o anywhere. 

OK, thank you. Will check first the mention on the passport

56 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Bangkok Bank gave me a bank account in Pattaya, and my Thai gf signed as a guarantor. I live in her house. 

Do you have someone in Thailand that you can trust and that trusts you? 

OK, will check. So far for the bank account but you cannot get a driving license without a CR. And a driving license is an important document here, it is also a proof of your "local" identity

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No they would not. You need a record in their system that you did a 90 day report.

OK, thank you. 
And you are saying that it might be possible to do the initial 90 day report now already (2 months before the due date)?

31 minutes ago, triplez said:

And you are saying that it might be possible to do the initial 90 day report now already (2 months before the due date)?

It is a big might. But you could try since you been here already for more than 90 days.

18 hours ago, span1668 said:

only after the first 90 day report which I obviously haven't done

Open a bank account for first time is kind of tough and you need to obtain document that are required. 

Some people claim that they could open a bank account by a "drivers license", even if they could, because they already had a bank account in that bank, not the 1st account. 
Yes, you need to do your 1st 90 day report before applying for a "certificate of residence". 

19 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Bangkok Bank gave me one in Chiang Rai with a 6 month tourist visa and the Tiraks assistance. I was promising to move in money for a house and the 800k though.

The power of suggestion . well done..

To answer your stayed question succinctly:

After doing a 90 day report as UJoe said just go to immigration with a passport size photo, fill out the form with your residence address whether renting or owning. Contrary to popular belief you do not have to have it done by your landlord if you are renting. You may need to show a rental contract though with your landlords ID card, name, etc. I think it costs about 200฿ for each one. 

The recipient often takes your original, such as for a license, so if necessary get more than one at once. You need a photo for each one. 

7 hours ago, The Theory said:

Open a bank account for first time is kind of tough and you need to obtain document that are required. 

Some people claim that they could open a bank account by a "drivers license", even if they could, because they already had a bank account in that bank, not the 1st account. 
Yes, you need to do your 1st 90 day report before applying for a "certificate of residence". 

"Yes, you need to do your 1st 90 day report before applying for a "certificate of residence"."

That's how it works at immigration in CW. Not the same in every province. 

19 hours ago, The Theory said:

Anyway you need a Certificate of Residence in order to get a driver's license......

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a big might. But you could try since you been here already for more than 90 days.

Some banks have a waiting period of 180 days to see if enough money is coming in. 

I needed my Bangkok Bank account immediately in 2014 and took my Thai gf to the bank branch. She guaranteed for me because she knew I'd get permanent pensions, and then everything was oK.  

On 9/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, span1668 said:

Or do I have to wait until next year to be able to open a bank account? The certificate of residence seems an important document requested in many situations.

Your other option is with the consent of the landlord, register your abode with the local Amphoe and obtain a Yellow House book (Tabien Baan) and Thai ID card for foreigners.

You can then use the book as proof of address for a bank account and driving licence.

13 hours ago, micmichd said:

Some banks have a waiting period of 180 days to see if enough money is coming in. 

I needed my Bangkok Bank account immediately in 2014 and took my Thai gf to the bank branch. She guaranteed for me because she knew I'd get permanent pensions, and then everything was oK.  

Banks sometimes ask for a Thai person to counter sign something (usually a copy of their ID card) but that isn't a financial guarantee, more like a reference in case there are any questions by the bank in the future.

Your Thai friend will not be liable for anything that happens to this account.

Archived