Jump to content

Sidewalk transformer on Chaweng's beach road


Recommended Posts

I don't know why the authorities didn't just do a compulsory purchase of small plots of land along the way, so that the boxes could be set back. IF Chaweng ever becomes  busy again, it won't take long for a drunk driver  to crash his motorbike into one of them, sticking out in the road as they do.

 

BTW. My GF tells me there has been a long ongoing discussion about this on the Samui webpage.

 

When I asked her what she was he was laughing at on her phone last night, she showed me a Youtube video with all these bigwigs having their photos taken by one of those hideous boxes.

 

She translated that they are going to have a rethink on how / if they can improve it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, churchill said:

Good to put cables underground but why the huge cabinets ? They look awful ,  no planning , where are pedestrians meant to walk ?

Well, huge cabinets are actual transformers that turn high voltage to something that won't fry all your stuff at home the moment you plug it in. But maybe Bangkok's 4m high placement (other than not blocking pavements) is better, though I'm sure pedestrians inconvenience wasn't their main concern, floods likely were.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Well, huge cabinets are actual transformers that turn high voltage to something that won't fry all your stuff at home the moment you plug it in. But maybe Bangkok's 4m high placement (other than not blocking pavements) is better, though I'm sure pedestrians inconvenience wasn't their main concern, floods likely were.

A few meter high placement would come handy in extreme floods as well.

Oh, wait, thats too far in the future . .

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 2:32 AM, khunPer said:

There should be five huge transformer boxes in all.

 

It seems like some locals have complained. A Thai news article in MGR Online mentions that Surat Thani's governor has been visiting the beach road today (September 25th) to inspect, and find a solution...

LOL. Seems I'm not alone in my criticism of the pavement blocking monstrosities. 55555555555555

 

In the town I live in they have also buried all the overhead cables and wires on main street. There is ONE ground level transformer, not 5 or more, and it is less than head height, and dimensions of less than half the one in the photo and it is set behind the pavement, so not blocking anyone.

Could it possibly be that some many so large boxes were more about money and pockets than any actual requirement?

What is plain is that something went very wrong in the planning stage- even the Surat Thani governor thinks so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In the town I live in they have also buried all the overhead cables and wires on main street. There is ONE ground level transformer, not 5 or more, and it is less than head height, and dimensions of less than half the one in the photo and it is set behind the pavement, so not blocking anyone.

Does your towns main street have thousands of air conditioners running at the same time in hundreds of resorts and offices?

Does your towns main street also have hundreds of restaurants where cooking is done by using a mix of gas and electric?

What you don't seem to understand is the concentration of power consumers in a limited area  there is in a beach resort and this is not a specific Samui problem.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lom said:

Does your towns main street have thousands of air conditioners running at the same time in hundreds of resorts and offices?

Does your towns main street also have hundreds of restaurants where cooking is done by using a mix of gas and electric?

What you don't seem to understand is the concentration of power consumers in a limited area  there is in a beach resort and this is not a specific Samui problem.

LOL. Before they buried the cables they had the same number of air conditioners etc and the transformers were nowhere near that large.

 

You apparently miss the point that in my town the transformer is not blocking the pavements. They could have 50 transformers and none would block the pavements. Thailand, the hub of blocked pavements.

 

Even the governor of Surat Thani thinks there is a problem blocking pavements with huge boxes like that.

 

this is not a specific Samui problem.

What other town in Thailand has similar?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Before they buried the cables they had the same number of air conditioners etc and the transformers were nowhere near that large.

Sigh.. Are you daft? There were small and medium size transformers in the concrete poles everywhere. Hundreds of them only on Chaweng Beach Road, and by removing overhead cabling and the concrete poles they have to place the equal capacity of transformers on the ground.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You apparently miss the point that in my town the transformer is not blocking the pavements.

I've already given my opinion of the transformer placement in another post.

What I responded to was your inability to understand why there can't be just one big transformer somewhere.

Edited by lom
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 5:43 PM, lom said:

Sigh.. Are you daft? There were small and medium size transformers in the concrete poles everywhere. Hundreds of them only on Chaweng Beach Road, and by removing overhead cabling and the concrete poles they have to place the equal capacity of transformers on the ground.

I've already given my opinion of the transformer placement in another post.

What I responded to was your inability to understand why there can't be just one big transformer somewhere.

No I'm not daft but............................

 

What I responded to was your inability to understand why there can't be just one big transformer somewhere.

Apparently you didn't read the OP. I copy pasted the relevant part below in case you missed it again.

By all means have one or more big transformers but don't put them blocking the pavement. Given the governor is concerned, I think my complaint is entirely justified, but if you disagree, take it up with him. Bye.

On 9/26/2020 at 2:32 AM, khunPer said:

The audit found that True to the complaint There is a large electric cabinet of the Provincial Electricity Authority. Koh Samui Branch Has installed an electrical cabinet in front of Chawengree Hotel, Gen Beach Resort, Moo 2, Chaweng Beach Road Found a large electrical cabinet. More than 2 meters high, located on the foot path. And still overflowing on the road about 50 centimeters and there is also in front of Soi Green Mango It is located about 800 meters from the first point, found that the large electrical cabinet is located in the same way. There are five large electrical cabinets installed in such a way.

and there is also in front of Soi Green Mango It is located about 800 meters from the first point, found that the large electrical cabinet is located in the same way. There are five large electrical cabinets installed in such a way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...