Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

Other than walking street there is another area with go go bars in

older part of pattaya.. I think there’s a LK hotel and one starts with

A with back rooms Green.. what’s that area called? Go go bars opened

Or on last leg? 

My apologies I’ve not been to Pattaya 3-4 years living up here in the northeast 

On 9/25/2020 at 4:37 PM, pegman said:

I saw on a YouTube vid recently that my old local, BJ3 Beer Bar on the Soi Diamond island @ Walking, is still going. Tip and her family owned it for >35 years she told me. For those whose minds are in the gutter it was named after her brother in law Bill Jones, same as SoiBJ. Great place for warm beer and cold women.

nice! I like my beer like my women--cold n bitter!   hey-yo!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Other than walking street there is another area with go go bars in

older part of pattaya.. I think there’s a LK hotel and one starts with

A with back rooms Green.. what’s that area called? Go go bars opened

Or on last leg? 

My apologies I’ve not been to Pattaya 3-4 years living up here in the northeast 

I guess you mean LK Metro area, down from 2nd Rd via Diana towards Buakhao. Not really an older part of town, but does look it. ????

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 8:48 PM, aussiexpat said:

Hope Bodega bar, 5 star bar, Irish rovers, metro bar and le-pub are still doing okay

Yes, would like to know how things are going in Soi 13/1  13/2 (Soi Post Office/Soi Yamato), as it was my "home-turf".

Especially concerning "Bodega". Bodega and Patrick (the owner) have been there for ages.
In case "Bodega" should close, that would be a clear indication to me that things have gone from bad to worse.

On 9/27/2020 at 12:59 PM, aussiexpat said:

Is Kink in LK Metro still open?

I took two of my mates there who thought downstairs was pretty special...so then I took them upstairs for some real fun ????

Kink still open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Yes, would like to know how things are going in Soi 13/1  13/2 (Soi Post Office/Soi Yamato), as it was my "home-turf".

Especially concerning "Bodega". Bodega and Patrick (the owner) have been there for ages.
In case "Bodega" should close, that would be a clear indication to me that things have gone from bad to worse.

Many bars in Soi Post Office closed and were re-opened as massage parlours. Riviera Beach still going  plus a few others that don't do too much. Soi Yamato the Swan (prev Ritz) seems to do a bit, not sure about the rest. 

Bodega struggling, rare to see above 10 in there but even at that they are doing better than the 2 Wonderful and the Meeting Point. 

Hard Times all round, the future looking a bit dubious at the minute. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, DJ54 said:

I think there’s a LK hotel and one starts with

A with back rooms Green.. what’s that area called?

The one that starts with A is the Areca Lodge, and the LK Metro, Soi Diana, Soi Buakhaow area is partially open - maybe faring a bit better than Soi 7 or 8, Walking Street etc. but still not busy.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 12:21 AM, rott said:

Many bars in Soi Post Office closed and were re-opened as massage parlours. Riviera Beach still going  plus a few others that don't do too much. Soi Yamato the Swan (prev Ritz) seems to do a bit, not sure about the rest. 

Bodega struggling, rare to see above 10 in there but even at that they are doing better than the 2 Wonderful and the Meeting Point. 

i went to the Bodega Bar a couple of years ago.  I went to see a bar girl who had just started working there.  I knew her from another bar previously. 

Upon walking in and saying hello to her, a service member of staff approached us and asked what I would like to to drink.  I said a beer for me, and I asked my friend what she would like to drink and she said a beer also. 

The service staff member said words like, "She can only have lady drink."  I said, something like, "I understand.  One beer for she, lady drink price.  No problem." 

The service staff member explained my bar girl friend could only have a "lady drink" which I guess would have been coloured water, and of course at the lady drink price.  Obviously to maximise profits. 

Anyway, mamasan overhears the conversation and confirms my bar girl friend can't drink what she wants and she can only have the Bodega Bar's lady drink. 

I cancelled my order, wished my friend good luck working in Bodega Bar and walked out.  She could have said coke or sprite, no problem to me, but she actually wanted a beer.

She stopped working in that bar a few days later, and I have never been back to the Bodega Bar since. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 3:41 PM, Leaver said:

i went to the Bodega Bar a couple of years ago.

Gone are the days whereby one bought a Spy or whatever at regular prices for the girls that work there.... I think of the Wonderful Bar next door too. I wonder if one bought 2 beers and tried to give one to the lady....... I expect she would not be permitted to drink it, and has a quota to work off.

Bodega bar was never really a lady drinks bar though, that's why I liked it. 

No hassle and it got so all I'd have to do is sit down and I'd hear the waitress sing out 'beer singh', I never had to ask ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Gone are the days whereby one bought a Spy or whatever at regular prices for the girls that work there.... I think of the Wonderful Bar next door too. I wonder if one bought 2 beers and tried to give one to the lady....... I expect she would not be permitted to drink it, and has a quota to work off.

As I said in my post, I told the service staff one beer for me, and one beer for my friend (bar girl) because she actually wanted to drink a beer.  She could have said anything from orange juice to whiskey and coke, but she actually wanted a beer. 

I didn't have a problem paying the lady drink price for the beer.  I wasn't ordering two beers for me, to give her one. 

What management of The Bodega Bar wanted was their bar girl staff to drink flavoured water, at around 140 baht a lady drink, or whatever it was, to maximise profits.   

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

As I said in my post, I told the service staff one beer for me, and one beer for my friend (bar girl) because she actually wanted to drink a beer.  She could have said anything from orange juice to whiskey and coke, but she actually wanted a beer. 

I didn't have a problem paying the lady drink price for the beer.  I wasn't ordering two beers for me, to give her one. 

What management of The Bodega Bar wanted was their bar girl staff to drink flavoured water, at around 140 baht a lady drink, o whatever it was, to maximise profits.   

Why do you still care so many years later that you never went back? Find a bar you like, learn its rules and enjoy life.

As I said, Bodega is known for being a hassle free bar where lady drinks are not on its list of priorities, but still they upset you

Edited by aussiexpat

17 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Why do you still care so many years later that you never went back? Find a bar you like, learn its rules and enjoy life.

As I said, Bodega is known for being a hassle free bar where lady drinks are not on its list of priorities, but still they upset you

I thought you started this thread because you didn't like being told what to post in Leaver's thread?

Oh well, back to Leaver's thread.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I don't care, and it didn't upset me.  There was no big scene.  The girl stopped working there a few days later.

Since then, when going past the bar, I haven't seen any girls that take my fancy, so haven't been back into the bar.  Are they still running the lady drink system?

I prefer Wonderful Bar to Bodega Bar.  

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't care, and it didn't upset me.  There was no big scene.  The girl stopped working there a few days later.

Since then, when going past the bar, I haven't seen any girls that take my fancy, so haven't been back into the bar.  Are they still running the lady drink system?

Bodega is not a girl pick up bar. It's like me complaining I couldn't get a steak dinner at McDonalds lol 

42 minutes ago, polpott said:

I thought you started this thread because you didn't like being told what to post in Leaver's thread?

Oh well, back to Leaver's thread.

No, I started this thread because of Leaver's constant negativity and being outside of my 2nd home of Pattaya, I preferred positivity and nice memories of bars people can bring to keep me and others going until we get back. 

Hearing favourite bars are still open gives us great hope ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Pity you don't go there a bit more often, they would be glad of the custom. ????

Ref lady drinks I understand that a third goes to the lady herself. They used to be on a quota to get a certain number per month, don't know if this still applies even pre-covid. 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, rott said:

Yep! Even on my last visit (February), I noticed that many small bars in the aerea were converted into massage-parlors. Even then, the masseuses were massively "underemployed".
I don't want to think how things must be now.

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Bodega is not a girl pick up bar. It's like me complaining I couldn't get a steak dinner at McDonalds lol 

Indeed. Bodega was never a girl pick up bar. Farang ownwner's business concept was always: Have Farangs bring their ladies (makes for a relaxed non competitive athmosphere, he felt). Bar employees could not be bar-fined as a matter of company policy. He allowed for some freelancers, not connected to the bar. But everthing always very "low-key".

Patrick was/is known as a strict but employee-friendly boss. Some employees have been working for him for over 10 years.

Pre-covid, the place was packed day and night for 20 years. (location, location, location).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

What management of The Bodega Bar wanted was their bar girl staff to drink flavoured water, at around 140 baht a lady drink, or whatever it was, to maximise profits.

Obviously, although a fairly narrow perspective and rather controlling. If they added their normal 'margin' to their price for a beer, likely a 200 baht hit to buy the lady a beer. The GGBs do silimar with the regular LDs and the tequila ones. And I recall a place in Bangkok showing me a LD price list which depended on the drink type. From 160 which was the standard lolly water (which they likely don't even want to drink), some mid range option (tequila) and a mixed drink at about 360. I have certainly lost my shyness when asked to buy a drink and openly ask the price now.

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Obviously, although a fairly narrow perspective and rather controlling. If they added their normal 'margin' to their price for a beer, likely a 200 baht hit to buy the lady a beer. The GGBs do silimar with the regular LDs and the tequila ones. And I recall a place in Bangkok showing me a LD price list which depended on the drink type. From 160 which was the standard lolly water (which they likely don't even want to drink), some mid range option (tequila) and a mixed drink at about 360. I have certainly lost my shyness when asked to buy a drink and openly ask the price now.

I would have paid over the odds for the beer for her, but the option didn't exist.  It was about me going to her new work place and buying her a drink for "good lucky" and a bit of "face" for her to the management.    

As it turns out, not only did The Bodega Bar lose a customer that night, and for the next couple of years, but they also lost a staff member shortly after.

Go figure.   

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

As it turns out, not only did The Bodega Bar lose a customer that night, and for the next couple of years, but they also lost a staff member shortly after.

Go figure.   

Yeah, they seem to have a short sighted view when making their policies up. The old customers are basically chucked on the trash heap. An LK Metro BB irritated me.... the girl told me bar fine was 300 after midnight (when I thought they had to close), so I waited 10 minutes, only to be told by a male manager it was 500 until 1am.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah, they seem to have a short sighted view when making their policies up. The old customers are basically chucked on the trash heap. An LK Metro BB irritated me.... the girl told me bar fine was 300 after midnight (when I thought they had to close), so I waited 10 minutes, only to be told by a male manager it was 500 until 1am.

So you cancelled your thoughts on the male manager and plumped for the lady instead.....:cheesy: