Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

4 hours ago, petermik said:

So you cancelled your thoughts on the male manager and plumped for the lady instead.....:cheesy:

She was 500 and I balked at the moving of the goalposts.

I never enquired wrt him, do it yourself.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:03 AM, jacko45k said:

Yeah, they seem to have a short sighted view when making their policies up. The old customers are basically chucked on the trash heap. An LK Metro BB irritated me.... the girl told me bar fine was 300 after midnight (when I thought they had to close), so I waited 10 minutes, only to be told by a male manager it was 500 until 1am.

At the time, I thought the business model so strange, that the boss may have been away, and they were stealing from the bar.  

On 10/5/2020 at 7:59 AM, polpott said:

Much more revealing is this interview with Bryan Flowers. Sounds as though he's broke and won't survive until the end of next year. Starts at 11.40.

Interesting interview.  He says he can stay in the game for another 3 or 4 months.  Not sure what he's hoping will happen in 3 months time.  

On the debate between open frontage bars and enclosed bars, many times I would go into an enclosed bar because of the air conditioning on a hot day.  It's a more pleasant environment. 

A solution would have been to enclose some bars, but with clear glass.  Charge 5 baht more a beer for the air conditioning if they must. 

Bar tables or benches can still face the street for people watching.  The girls can still be outside for dragging in customers, and if privacy is needed inside the bar if it starts getting wild, down goes a roller blind that also acts as signage on the other side. 

Edited by Leaver

48 minutes ago, Leaver said:

On the debate between open frontage bars and enclosed bars, many times I would go into an enclosed bar because of the air conditioning on a hot day.  It's a more pleasant environment. 

All the bars I frequent on the Darkside are closed bars, in fact I would guess that the majority of bars on the Darkside are closed. One of the newer and more popular bars has a large outdoor seating area out front with pool table and rail, and a closed bar behind. Smokers outside, non smokers inside. Seems to work well.

3 hours ago, polpott said:

All the bars I frequent on the Darkside are closed bars, in fact I would guess that the majority of bars on the Darkside are closed. One of the newer and more popular bars has a large outdoor seating area out front with pool table and rail, and a closed bar behind. Smokers outside, non smokers inside. Seems to work well.

Some make call that "rocket science."  ???? 

Learned today that an ancient go-go from the Golden era, Classroom, has been reopened in its old location on Soi Pattayaland 13/4 for a few weeks now. I stopped by.

More like a small modern reincarnation of the old Classroom w/ half of the old go-go now a bar and resto. Totally redone from what remember. Maybe 4 stations around the room for individual dancers. Retro decor, nicely done. Music videos. Some of the music is old rock (heard The Kinks twice) but the most a bleh modern dance music. No techno or rap, at least, and played at reasonable volume. The girls still wear their pseudo school uniforms, so our Brits should find that exciting anyway. Distinctive, yes.  

Well-lit during the daytime w/ light from the windows. Night would lend a far more intimate feeling. I'll consider stopping in again some late evening.

I was the only customer in there during the hour I spent. Pretty courageous of the owner, and I wish him/her well.

Soi Pattayaland 13/4 is in sad shape, so Classroom is a real gem amid the ruin.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Learned today that an ancient go-go from the Golden era, Classroom, has been reopened in its old location on Soi Pattayaland 13/4 for a few weeks now. I stopped by.

I don't think it ever closed did it?

Tried to re-invent itself as a Music Bar a couple of years back, but as you say now attempting to be a GoGo again.

CR never closed except during lockdown.

Same owner & key management for years & a few proper old Pattaya heads frequent it, well run & you never have to worry about padding plus they have a loyalty scheme so the more you spend is noted & will increase your bar-bill discount (I understand that other bills that you may decide to pay also go towards this discount)

Sue's Place is still ticking along & you'll pass it odd time with decent groups of US faces having a few & telling war stories.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Why, because Pattaya is "bursting" with domestic tourism.  That's why.  ????

Again: domestic tourists are mainly here on weekends and holidays. I went during the week, as noted. Again: you may check on weekends and holidays.

Me, I'm not aware that Soi Pattayaland 13/4 has ever had any businesses that might appeal to domestic tourists and compete with other domestic venues. But I've been out of touch for more than a decade, when almost all the go-go girls left. Have you noticed any during your pre-COVID Boyztown visits? Make your next visit on a weekend or holiday and do report back for those as interested as yourself.

Edited by BigStar

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Neither does most of Central Pattaya.  

But it has the mall, which you always carefully ignore in your little doom mutterings. It's always had considerable, abiding appeal for domestic tourists from the beginning. Indeed, it would have long been bankrupt if it'd been relying solely upon your baked-beans-on-toast Big Spenders staying around Soi Buakhao.

And it has a large number of businesses & restos with which you're unfamiliar. So you might compare the condition of Soi Pattayaland 13/4 with that of the mall during your upcoming visit.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But it has the mall, which you always carefully ignore in your doom mutterings. It's always had considerable, abiding appeal for domestic tourists from the beginning. Indeed, it would have long been bankrupt if it'd been relying solely upon your baked-beans-on-toast Big Spenders staying around Soi Buakhao.

And it has a large number of businesses & restos with which you're unfamiliar. So you might compare the condition of Soi Pattayaland 13/4 with that of the mall during your upcoming visit.

Bangkok has malls.

Why would Thai's on  weekender from Bangkok go to the malls here, unless for cheap eats in the food court?  

28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Bangkok has malls.

Why would Thai's on  weekender from Bangkok go to the malls here, unless for cheap eats in the food court?  

Bangkok has food courts. Mystery, innit? Why don't you go ask them? Always expecting spoon feeding . . . .

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Bangkok has malls.

Because they like it. Thais love malls. I go at least once per week to eat in Central, never in the food court. Always more Thais than farangs sat around me. On long weekends its pointless going as all the decent restaurants are full. No different to the off season last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Because they like it. Thais love malls. I go at least once per week to eat in Central, never in the food court. Always more Thais than farangs sat around me. On long weekends its pointless going as all the decent restaurants are full. No different to the off season last year.

I hardly see any in the brand name retail stores in the malls here.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I hardly see any in the brand name retail stores in the malls here.  

TVF Economists have never seen any shoppers in any Thai mall because a shopper is defined as a farang only. Part of the bigotry. True, farang are either too poor or "value conscious" to shop in the mall stores. Or perhaps owing to class warfare they simply refuse to acknowledge the other farang who do. Selective perception. 

In the real world, domestic tourists do shop in the retail stores, just as domestic tourists from London shop in the retail stores at Brighton--the same stores they have at home. Pre-COVID, Asian and ASEAN tourists did as well. I always see them, particularly on holidays, but also weekends and after work hours. You've been told all this numerous times and your arguments already debunked, notably in this thread:

On 7/26/2020 at 10:19 PM, newnative said:

Someone posted back why would they want to shop in Pattaya when they have so many malls in Bangkok.  The answer was that during the week they leave for work at 5:30am and return around 7 or 7:30pm, or later, dead tired.  On the weekend they do all the chores they are too tired to do during the week.  When they come to Pattaya, they actually have the glorious free time to go shopping and, yes, buy those 2000 baht Adidas someone mentioned.  

But you can't remember anything and just keep repeating the same bigoted nonsense. No point in doing it again here. Go read that thread or several others. Anything mentioning Central or T21 will do.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

TVF Economists have never seen any shoppers in any Thai mall because a shopper is defined as a farang only.

I don't see Thai, or farang, in the retail shops in Central or T21, so no bigotry.  

Apparently, you do.  Can you name a few of the popular stores in these malls?  

38 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't see Thai, or farang, in the retail shops in Central or T21, so no bigotry.  

Apparently, you do.  Can you name a few of the popular stores in these malls?  

In fact there are fewer farang for the reasons I gave you. There definitely are Thais and Asians you're (cough) unable to see. Remember, you're unable to see any more Thais on weekends and holidays than at any other time, even though there are vastly larger numbers then.

And Russians--I told you in a previous thread of Russians buying Levi's in the Levi's shop, which you've forgotten. Indians--ran into a number of families buying up stuff in Uniqlo one Saturday afternoon. WOT?

I could list some relatively popular shops very easily, several spring to mind, but that won't help your eyesight in the least; later, you'll forget and repeat the same thing. Or, you'll just claim you haven't seen any. Got that already for the 10th time.

At least you've now been able to recall, for the moment at least, the existence of a large shopping mall in Central Pattaya that is in fact a major attraction for domestic tourists. And it turns out you've never known of any domestic tourist attractions on Soi 13/4. Are we done?

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There are plenty of restaurants and large malls in central Pattaya that would appeal to Thai domestic tourists. And the Beach of course. I think they find it more appealing now without the usual international crowds. 

Can you name some restaurants you have consistently seen some Thai tourists in around the Central Pattaya area?

9 minutes ago, polpott said:

Try going to the 5th/6th floor of Central. There are several.

There seems to be a misunderstanding.

When I say "Central Pattaya" I don't mean Central Festival Pattaya.

I basically mean from Klang to Tai, and from Beach Road to 3rd Road.  

I don't see many Thai tourists in restaurants in this area,  

As for Central Festival, and T21, I do not see many Thai tourists in the RETAIL shops in these malls.  

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Go ahead.  

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

but that won't help your eyesight in the least; later, you'll forget and repeat the same thing. Or, you'll just claim you haven't seen any. Got that already for the 10th time.

And to preempt your next fallacious "argument:" Argumentum ex silentio.

I might mention another time-honored principle of TVF Economics, the Lines At  Cashiers Rule. I touched on this in an earlier thread, which you've forgotten.  The Rule states that a shop isn't doomed only if a near-sighted Economist's Eyeballs At Random can see, at any time during opening hours, shoppers lined up at the cashiers, goods in hand, ready to pay. This phenomenon is never seen in any mall's shop, hence all the shops are technically bankrupt and exist for money laundering. All of them, throughout Thailand.

So if I bothered to take a few pics of various shops with Thais in them looking around, they're still not shoppers. That's 'cause our Economists insist that in Thailand there can be no looking before buying, as there is other countries. In Thailand there's only looking before looking.

It derives from the bigoted refusal to admit that there's a middle class in Thailand with money who do and can buy. There's only the poor low class:

On 6/12/2020 at 4:09 PM, Leaver said:

This data came from the increase sales of Sangsom and som tum in Pattaya.  ???? 

A similarly invalid bigoted assertion is that Bangkok Thais can't spend in Pattaya malls because Bangkok has malls. But Londoners, though they have malls and shops in London, spend in malls and shops in Brighton--same shops as they have nearer to them.

Further, "day trippers" are always recognized as tourists in the UK, with their numbers always given in the tourist stats for any resort, esp near a city. If there's a decrease in the number of day trippers, that's noted as a cause for concern. Middle class Thais do come in for the day, spend, and leave. Others stay over a night or more.

I didn't even know what "day tripper" means until I heard the Beatles song and read a translation. So all our Brits, especially, including yourself, know the importance of domestic tourism for UK resorts, including the day trippers, but they just somehow are unable to remember any of it when it comes to Thailand. Why's that?????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And to preempt your next fallacious "argument:" Argumentum ex silentio.

I might mention another time-honored principle of TVF Economics, the Lines At  Cashiers Rule. I touched on this in an earlier thread, which you've forgotten.  The Rule states that a shop isn't doomed only if a near-sighted Economist's Eyeballs At Random can see, at any time during opening hours, shoppers lined up at the cashiers, goods in hand, ready to pay. This phenomenon is never seen in any mall's shop, hence all the shops are technically bankrupt and exist for money laundering. All of them, throughout Thailand.

So if I bothered to take a few pics of various shops with Thais in them looking around, they're still not shoppers. That's 'cause our Economists insist that in Thailand there can be no looking before buying, as there is other countries. In Thailand there's only looking before looking.

It derives from the bigoted refusal to admit that there's a middle class in Thailand with money who do and can buy. There's only the poor low class:

A similarly invalid bigoted assertion is that Bangkok Thais can't spend in Pattaya malls because Bangkok has malls. But Londoners, though they have malls and shops in London, spend in malls and shops in Brighton--same shops as they have nearer to them.

Further, "day trippers" are always recognized as tourists in the UK, with their numbers always given in the tourist stats for any resort, esp near a city. If there's a decrease in the number of day trippers, that's noted as a cause for concern. Middle class Thais do come in for the day, spend, and leave. Others stay over a night or more.

I didn't even know what "day tripper" means until I heard the Beatles song and read a translation. So all our Brits, especially, including yourself, know the importance of domestic tourism for UK resorts, including the day trippers, but they just somehow are unable to remember any of it when it comes to Thailand. Why's that?????

Your post is big on words, small on facts.

Name some retail shops in Central Festival Pattaya where domestic Thai tourists are purchasing?  Simple question. 

As I have posted previously, the majority of Thai pedestrian traffic I see in Central are visiting the banks and telecommunication shops, not the retail shops.