Regular haunts that survived

aussiexpat

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Can you name some restaurants you have consistently seen some Thai tourists in around the Central Pattaya area?

Lengkee.... McD, KFC... MK...Pattaya Beer Garden, Dang Dum...Som Tum Na Muang.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

When I say "Central Pattaya" I don't mean Central Festival Pattaya.

I basically mean from Klang to Tai, and from Beach Road to 3rd Road. 

But that includes Central Festival Beach Rd!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Maesriruen. See a good many Chinese in there in normal times. FITs, not tour groups. And Hops has been doing really well.

That place in front of The Balcony  Nua/ Tesco Lotus / Soi 4 was very busy on Friday when I passed. The road was busy when I drove South into town...with BKK plates.... and they most surely will end up eating in restaurants or on the beach. 

The ballrooms are always busy weekends at the Amari.... I know cos the Expats Club can never get in them.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Merely a misunderstanding on your part owing to an inability to see that there's a big mall on Beach Road south of Klang. The name's auspicious, innit, reflecting both the ownership and the location in the central Pattaya area. Hence as noted, now that you're aware not only of the mall but of its name,

Please report back when you've done that. And @jacko45khas give you some others. Oh--BTW, domestic tourists come in on the weekends and holidays. So that's when you'd see them.

I don't think anyone here has forgotten about your not seeing anything. Did you? And that claim's already been addressed. Why go 'round and 'round?

Still waiting for you to name some retail shops in the malls that are seeing some trade from domestic Thai tourism.  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Still waiting for you to name some retail shops in the malls that are seeing some trade from domestic Thai tourism.  

Uniqlo. Went in for some shorts the other day and was too busy so decided to come back another day.

• Like 1

Went to Harbor Mall today, first stop was Shabu for lunch, when we entered we were the only customers, like 8 more people showed up, the other eating places were dead. The Sushi restaurant had one couple. So many shops are shut down and the I don't understand how the open places can remain open. But it's (The Mall) hanging in there.

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Went to Harbor Mall today, first stop was Shabu for lunch, when we entered we were the only customers, like 8 more people showed up, the other eating places were dead. The Sushi restaurant had one couple. So many shops are shut down and the I don't understand how the open places can remain open. But it's (The Mall) hanging in there.

Its been like that since it first opened.

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its been like that since it first opened.

Not like this, amazing any of it is still open. It's a great place for the kids to play. I know it was slow pre-covid and the thing is that it wasn't tourists that gave it much business before.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 7:07 PM, swissie said:

Indeed. Bodega was never a girl pick up bar. Farang ownwner's business concept was always: Have Farangs bring their ladies (makes for a relaxed non competitive athmosphere, he felt). Bar employees could not be bar-fined as a matter of company policy. He allowed for some freelancers, not connected to the bar. But everthing always very "low-key".

Patrick was/is known as a strict but employee-friendly boss. Some employees have been working for him for over 10 years.

Pre-covid, the place was packed day and night for 20 years. (location, location, location).

You mean most of those ladies were some old fart's missus? Or they were bar fines from other bars brought in for a cocktail by their punters? Either way, I reckon lot's of exceedingly poor choices were on display.

The Wild Chicken on Soi Post Office is now a virtual bar with currently 43 of the hard-core regulars, including the owner, scattered around the world and living their lives vicariously as a LINE group.

I heard a rumor last month that the TQ on Beach was in dire straits and close to shuttering. Any news on that?

5 hours ago, polpott said:

Uniqlo. Went in for some shorts the other day and was too busy so decided to come back another day.

H&M is also busy.

BTW, plenty of restos on the North end of Beach Road are popular with Thais on weekends (Red Steps, Green Tree) plus street food stalls do a roaring trade.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Until tomorrow.  Then dead.  

Well it was about Thai tourists who are generally mainly here at weekends. But you do see some there midweek. Hooters also gets some at weekends. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The Wild Chicken on Soi Post Office is now a virtual bar with currently 43 of the hard-core regulars, including the owner, scattered around the world and living their lives vicariously as a LINE group.

I heard a rumor last month that the TQ on Beach was in dire straits and close to shuttering. Any news on that?

Years since I've actually seen a customer in the Wild Chicken. 

TQ would not be a surprise, sadly. 

I've yet to see anyone in the new Witherspoons on Beach Rd. 

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

Still waiting for you to name any attractions on Soi Pattayaland 13/4 you'd noticed pre-COVID during your Boyztown visits, or now, that might attract domestic tourists.

Now you've learned that the beach attracts domestic tourists, hence many are seen on the promenade in central Pattaya. You probably did notice that 13/4 isn't beachfront.

Then it turned out that restaurants catering to Thai tastes attract domestic tourists. You'd never noticed any throughout central Pattaya so demanded testimony. SHOCK!  Lengkee.... McD, KFC... MK...Pattaya Beer Garden, Dang Dum...Som Tum Na Muang. Maesriruen, Hops. And of course the restaurant floors of Central Festival Pattaya Beach.

Waiting for you to waddle out of Soi Buakhao and verify you can see domestic tourists in those restos. I'd mentioned MK to you before, BTW, yet you denied any domestic tourists go there.???? If you can't see any, what's the point of giving you more names?

And the naming of the beach and restaurants is sufficient to disprove the ignorant assertion that central Pattaya has no attractions for domestic tourists.

So then the goalpost must be moved, of course. Now it can't be restaurants. Before domestic tourists can visit central Pattaya, they have to be buying in retail shops. Buying is buying, innit?

Then you're given the names of some retail shops. @polpott: Uniqlo. Went in for some shorts the other day and was too busy so decided to come back another day. @champers: H&M.

Uh-oh. Suddenly it can't just any retail shops. Those domestic tourists on the beach, in the restos, and retail shops in the mall of central Pattaya can't be classified as domestic tourists. The new definition is that a domestic tourist must be seen buying in locally owned retail shops!

That no doubt means strictly mom & pop, the owners Pattaya natives and residing full-time in Pattaya. No Thai corporations, no international subsidiary controlled by Thais, Thai franchisee, etc. FINALLY! Nobody's gon' verify that irrelevant standard of local ownership, so in your mind you're proved that no domestic tourists visit central Pattaya.????

That's quite an effort on your part, all those unaccustomed mental gymnastics. Why not just waddle out of Soi Buakhao--on a weekend or esp a holiday--and check out the beach, restos, and retail stores named? Compare with Soi Pattayaland 13/4 Pre-COVID and now. Give up the bigotry, the trolling, and understand the simple reality of domestic tourism. Been going pretty strong for the past 5 years. Oh--might get new eyeglasses first. You can afford First Optic, surely.

Waiting for the report!????

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Until tomorrow.  Then dead.  

Excellent progress! You've

1. recognized the presence of domestic tourists in central Pattaya and

2. managed to remember that most domestic tourists visit on weekends and holidays!

Write down this Eureka! info on a Post-It note and stick on your computer monitor. 

But we have a problem. You haven't visited Hops during the week to verify whether it is indeed truly dead, but just blew some hot air. Some domestic tourists come in then as well.???? Waiting for the report.

13/4, does the Shamrock qualify as an attraction? Always seems to have had a crew of regulars. 

Not been in the Classroom since it's re-incarnation but I wish Mr F the best of luck. 

Not familiar with the rest of them. 

23 minutes ago, rott said:

13/4, does the Shamrock qualify as an attraction? Always seems to have had a crew of regulars. 

Not been in the Classroom since it's re-incarnation but I wish Mr F the best of luck. 

Not familiar with the rest of them. 

Not for domestic tourists. I've been meaning to stop by Shamrock for old time's sake.