Trump to nominate conservative judge Amy Coney Barrett to succeed Ginsburg, sources say

rooster59

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

As for laying all the blame on the expected mess of the elections - given things were out in the open a long time now, shouldn't have Trump been a wee bit more proactive getting the Postal Service in shape?

No, because there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. The right did not want to change the way the election was gonna happen, and did not want to fund it. The Democrats did all of this, make no mistake about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mama Noodle said:

No, because there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. The right did not want to change the way the election was gonna happen, and did not want to fund it. The Democrats did all of this, make no mistake about it. 

I'm not making any mistakes. Given your previous comment about Covid-19, I guess it would be futile to point out it's an issue. As for the Postal Service, it wasn't so much about not changing it as degrading operation.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Everyone on planet earth knows Biden is losing his marbles and will bomb the debates, if he even nuts up and does them at all. This isn’t even debatable. 

Everyone except Trump and his handlers who are now claiming that Biden will do well in this because he has a lot of experience in political debates. Looks like they're backing down from their insinuations and claims about Biden since they expect the event to expose the extent of their falsehoods. By setting up the expectation that Biden will fumble, they have managed to make him the underdog.

Trump falls into the trap he set for Biden

Some on Trump’s team are bracing for a humiliating loss at next week's debate — after Trump lowered expectations for Biden by mocking his acumen for months.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/23/trump-biden-first-debate-420189

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Even if they did overturn roe, which they won’t, it would only mean states can regulate abortions. States can still opt to allow them. 

Or forbid them legally as before Roe. Fortunately, shoul me and my signifícate other be graced with such a decision, we could afford to seek medical help in a more enlightened country. Thus again, those with financial resources need not be restricted by your medieval attempts to restrict our rights.

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Abortions will become illegal and 10's of thousands of women will/might die......?

I cannot tell the future but if we do go back to a time before a Roe ... only those without financial means will be affected. Those with financial means will, as before Roe, seek medical services in a more enlightened country.

3 hours ago, riclag said:

According to this article :

Cato Institute's Shapiro said that abortion backers should not worry about the chance of Roe v. Wade being overturned if Barrett is put on the court.

"She gave a lecture a few years ago at Jacksonville University saying that the core holding or Roe is unlikely to change. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/amy-coney-barrett-case-rulings

If I remember right  kavanaugh is unwilling to change roe v as well

It looks like your safe

More than Roe is at stake...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

I just do not think going after a good person because “trump” is gonna do anything other than make people angry. 

Most people on both sides are well past angry already. The current level of devisiveness in America is not fully trump's doing but certainly part of his legacy and a primary tool of his trade.

He has incessantly worked to comprehensibly alienate large segments of American society and the majority of our foreign allies while fawning over the autocrats he fervently wants to emulate. He has succeeded in co-opting the Republican party beyond recognition to even longtime conservatives. He has sullied his office with transparent nepotism, degraded essential agencies with unqualified sycophantic political appointments, and forced the best and brightest of our civil servants to choose between their careers and their sworn duties. He has been a corrosive element to every level of a government that he disdains and has never cared to understand. He has foresworn his sacred duty to the majority of the American people to instead cater to a minority of bigots and deconstructionists who want only to see the government burn. He has failed so spectacularly in his duties as to force the citizenry to recognize that democracy demands vigilance and active informed participation of the electorate. 

Decisively ending his presidency will not end the problems we face but is an essential beginning to forging  possible solutions to them. His most important contribution to democracy may be a unifying rejection of his values by a majority of Americans. 

America has a vital choice to make regarding the very soul of the country they wish to live in and to pass on to their progeny. It is not a choice framed by political party boundaries but by the moral and ethical values they wish their country to embody. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Even if they did overturn roe, which they won’t, it would only mean states can regulate abortions. States can still opt to allow them. 

You act like that's a trival mater. The problem there is that the people seeking them would then have to cross state lines to a state that allowed them. Often the people getting abortions are teenage girls who are trying to avoid people knowing and as we've seen in the past when abortion was illegal they in those situations will turn to shadier means to get it done. Which is unsafe.

8 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Wow, I did not know that Amy Coney Barrett wielded such power.  Let's make her a Marvel Superhero.  The Church-Lady?  LOL

And here I thought that the post referred to the Donald's election. Must have gotten post responses confused.

Some reporting has brought to light Barrett is a member of a Charismatic Christian group named 'People of Praise' which ex members have called out as a cult. Will be 'interesting how she deals with this matter at her hearings, though extremely doubtful anything will get republicans to change course; will be same BS process as the impeachment hearings.

https://www.newsweek.com/amy-coney-barrett-people-praise-group-inspired-handmaids-tale-1533293m/us-news/2020/sep/26/amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court-donald-trump-people-of-praise

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Would they be attacking her as "A JEW" if Jewish i wonder ?  I suspect not....so shes devout, has adopted two black kids, has a down syndrome son, well respected with top of the class honours in study, outstanding performance in both academic and government service, overall an impeccable CV with very strong bi partisan support previously ... hmm  good luck to the Dems for not looking even more stupid and unhinged than with Kavanagh. Perhaps they will drag out some lesbian claiming rape while at high school. Im betting they will mention her whiteness just because its topical... 

If I were Trump id be just sitting back and lapping up the clownworld show the Dems are bound to provide in the coming weeks.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Would they be attacking her as "A JEW" if Jewish i wonder ?  I suspect not....so shes devout, has adopted two black kids, has a down syndrome son, well respected with top of the class honours in study, outstanding performance in both academic and government service, overall an impeccable CV with very strong bi partisan support previously ... hmm  good luck to the Dems for not looking even more stupid and unhinged than with Kavanagh. Perhaps they will drag out some lesbian claiming rape while at high school. Im betting they will mention her whiteness just because its topical... 

If I were Trump id be just sitting back and lapping up the clownworld show the Dems are bound to provide in the coming weeks.. 

She wasnt good enough for trump to pic her after he interviewed her last vacancy.

2 hours ago, englishoak said:

You'll be disappointed. Her membership of a potential cult will be questioned, as will the adoption procedure since quite a few irregularities happened in similar cases.

But she seems fair and will be treated fairly.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:37 AM, riclag said:

Its meant to be!   Good things come in 3 !

gorsuch  kavanaugh  and  barrett

I look forward to the continued nomination and confirmation of Originalists to the bench.

Trump will likely have three more appointments in his second term.  Thomas and Alito (both Originalists) will retire, and it is likely that Breyer (an Activist) will also retire.  Filling all three with more Originalists will likely give the court a 7-2 best-case advantage to Americans who love the US Constitution.  The lone remaining activists on the SCOTUS will be Soto and Kagan with Roberts being an occasional ally.

And that's only the SCOTUS.  The Appellate courts will also see some new faces, and Trump will have appointed well over 300 during his two terms.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I cannot tell the future but if we do go back to a time before a Roe ... only those without financial means will be affected. Those with financial means will, as before Roe, seek medical services in a more enlightened country.

if Roe is overturned, the abortion issue will most likely return to the states -- where it belongs.  It is not uncommon for social issues to be decided at that level of government and not on a national scale (like gun laws and DLs et al). 

That's why the US has a federal republic.  It allows people the freedom to move where society suits them. If everything is decided on a national scale, there's nowhere to move except OUT of the country.

There will be some states that will provide financial means and will allow abortions, but Planned Parenthood will still exist in states that allow their presence.  Even before the weak attempt by Obama to force Americans to pay for everyone's healthcare, there were states that had their own healthcare systems.  And there was Medicaid for the needy, which had been in place since the 1960s.  Ironically, many of the people who signed up for Obama's idea were shoved into Medicaid.

The point is that states have autonomy in many issues and will continue to do so.  The 9th and 10th Amendments will explain that to those unfamiliar with the federal republic.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ricohoc said:

Specifics usually aren't in the quiver of those who throw stones at the United States. 

While most Americans have no view one way or the other what happens in other countries when they pick their leadership, too many outside our borders think it is their business to lecture us when determining our path.

I understand the rules here more than anybody ,I think!

I know this is a international forum and people are entitled to their opinion!  Except if insulting! Which by the way it wasn't!

I just asked for more specifics! This poster for all I know has a different political system or parliamentary rules! 

Maybe he's not familiar with my countries laws of the land etc etc .

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comments removed
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ricohoc said:

if Roe is overturned, the abortion issue will most likely return to the states -- where it belongs.  It is not uncommon for social issues to be decided at that level of government and not on a national scale (like gun laws and DLs et al). 

That's why the US has a federal republic.  It allows people the freedom to move where society suits them. If everything is decided on a national scale, there's nowhere to move except OUT of the country.

There will be some states that will provide financial means and will allow abortions, but Planned Parenthood will still exist in states that allow their presence.  Even before the weak attempt by Obama to force Americans to pay for everyone's healthcare, there were states that had their own healthcare systems.  And there was Medicaid for the needy, which had been in place since the 1960s.  Ironically, many of the people who signed up for Obama's idea were shoved into Medicaid.

The point is that states have autonomy in many issues and will continue to do so.  The 9th and 10th Amendments will explain that to those unfamiliar with the federal republic.

And the Constitution, including the Amendments will continue to define what Rights Americans have. These rights are American rights and not subject to states deciding whether they will allow or enforce. Thus we no longer have slavery, all women have an equal right to vote, the FAA can regulate airlines ...Nope, I reject your outlook that states define American Citizen Rights. Thus, the concern for the members of the a Supreme Court of the United States as the Court deals only with Constitutional issues affecting all ... regardless of which state you reside within.

4 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

And the Constitution, including the Amendments will continue to define what Rights Americans have. These rights are American rights and not subject to states deciding whether they will allow or enforce. Thus we no longer have slavery, all women have an equal right to vote, the FAA can regulate airlines ...Nope, I reject your outlook that states define American Citizen Rights. Thus, the concern for the members of the a Supreme Court of the United States as the Court deals only with Constitutional issues affecting all ... regardless of which state you reside within.

Each state has their own constitution! Its a complex situation ,especially when they conflict with the federal one ,they in many ways design it to resemble the federal one! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_constitution_(United_States)#:~:text=In the United States%2C each state has its own written constitution.&text=State constitutions are usually longer,between government and the people.