Warning! Initial "12 month" retirement visa application.

22 hours ago, Nout said:

Best way to do it. Cuts through crowds  cuts down on waiting times and means you are not running around chasing paper work like a hapless peon. Do you drink in a bar or brew your own beer

what crowds when I did my extension in May there was one person in front, in and out in 35 minutes, but you do have to fill in the extra two forms still with address and sign, oh the stress!

23 hours ago, J Town said:

When I went to Jomtien for my initial retirement visa in 2016, I talked to the IO back in room 7 (I believe) and she explained I could do this mountain of paperwork, all in Thai, which included several trips to Bangkok or pay her 19k baht and I'd receive a 15-month visa, extension of stay, and multi re-entry. I had the money in her hand that afternoon.

My "expedite" fee was only 10,000 ????

17 hours ago, vandeventer said:

What mountain of paperwork? With the real retirement visa with 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 months there is very little paperwork.

I think I counted 28 copies, picture, and forms last time I did not retirement. Also the first one. We had to drive back home make pics in front of The house, inside dining room, kitchen, Papa id card (registered in his housebook and need his signature and copy id card, and much more), so first time it was two trips a total almost 400km to get everything done. Next time it will be much easier since we hope we know what to do, and what to bring of copies, pics, id, etc. 

The good part was, the helpers on the immigration filled out all the forms for us, and marked where to fill in personal info and signatures, so they did a great job for us, also because we had printed out old forms given by a link from  one member here ???? so all good. 

Edited by Tagged

I am aged so memory may not always concur with what I think I recall, but I distinctly remember several of the more knowledgeable TVforum responders about visa or extension issues.  I seem to remember them saying that even with the amnesty, one who's visa/extension of stay expires during the amnesty, they should renew that extension prior to the final date instead of waiting until the end of the amnesty.  They further stated that if one did not do this, they would not be fined or classified as overstay during the period of the amnesty but one would never really know if they would just be able to extend again for a year after the amnesty period was over.  Seems to me this is exactly what the "experts" (in my opinion anyway) had advised one to do to avoid this problem  From my perspective, it seems that the IO could just as easily said that the extension was void after the expiration April date of the original non "o" and therefore the individual should depart the country and then file for a new visa.  My opinion anyway - never take a chance here if trying to circumvent the rules.  I wouldn't announce providing money for an IO to "fix" my visa which I would never do anyway.  I pay my 1900 each year and have done so for almost 20 years with very little if any problems.  Hope it continues that way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only confirms what was said previously. The Ministry of the Interior gave a certain group of aliens permission to remain in the Kingdom as a special case. Extensions are subject to T & C's, there was no extension involved, it was permission to remain without penalty.

Immigration merely implemented that policy as they saw fit.

Taking bits of immigration text and trying to change the context does not help anyone whatsoever.

17 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Desk 7 only does changes of visa,for example from 60 days TR to a 90 days Non-immigrant O. If using the monthly income method you need an income letter from your embassy and that paper has to be certified by the authorities in BKK. That's the only reason for the trip to BKK, and you don't need the income letter to be certified again,just once. This doesn't mean it's worth ฿19,000 instead of a total of ฿3,900. 

ROOM 7, not the desk. The office behind the place where you go to show proof of 800k baht having been in the bank after renewing your extension. And this was upgrading a tourist visa to a retirement visa. She showed me many forms that were all in Thai, and explained I'd have to make several trips to Bangkok. Perhaps she played me, but I was quite satisfied to pay her 19k baht, hand her my passport, and a few days later have absolutely legal stamps in my passport.

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Only confirms what was said previously. The Ministry of the Interior gave a certain group of aliens permission to remain in the Kingdom as a special case. Extensions are subject to T & C's, there was no extension involved, it was permission to remain without penalty.

Immigration merely implemented that policy as they saw fit.

Taking bits of immigration text and trying to change the context does not help anyone whatsoever.

The word "extension" is used multiple times in this document, you should try to read it a few more times, then you might understand it.

I very much doubt the room 7 19000 bht senario. Jomtien has always been very straight forward in all my extensions. I did pay an agent to convert my initial visa into a long stay extension but having seen how that was done have done all subsequent 7 extensions myself

59 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I very much doubt the room 7 19000 bht senario. Jomtien has always been very straight forward in all my extensions. I did pay an agent to convert my initial visa into a long stay extension but having seen how that was done have done all subsequent 7 extensions myself

I had a long-stay visa (ME) with an immigration stamp starting on The 1st of December, 2013. But then I went on honeymoon holiday to Laos with my Thai girlfriend in January 2014 and returned back to Thailand where I got another visa. So I actually had two visas in my passport, both multiple-entry. Then I went to Jomtien where they had hired this German idiot who opened my passport with the wrong page because he was manically after German overstayers. 

Never again will I go to Jontiem personally where they hire German idiots that quite obviously know nothing about immigration laws. 

Anyway, this German idiot was fired, and I occasionally went to Jontiem immigration again. And this time no problem at all. 

Edited by micmichd

22 hours ago, vandeventer said:

What mountain of paperwork? With the real retirement visa with 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 months there is very little paperwork.

On the basis of his subsequent posting below he was clearly referring to a non-O conversion which in 2016 did entail a few trips to Bangkok with a mountain of paper work since only CW processed such conversions for LOS as a whole then. IMHO it is a refreshingly welcome change for a poster, when referring to a "retirement visa", to actually mean a real genuine McCoy visa like he has done, as distinct from an annual extension of stay masquerading as one, like you and a number of others (including the OP) have done! 

4 hours ago, J Town said:

ROOM 7, not the desk. The office behind the place where you go to show proof of 800k baht having been in the bank after renewing your extension. And this was upgrading a tourist visa to a retirement visa. She showed me many forms that were all in Thai, and explained I'd have to make several trips to Bangkok. Perhaps she played me, but I was quite satisfied to pay her 19k baht, hand her my passport, and a few days later have absolutely legal stamps in my passport.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Call me a liar, I really don't care. That was what happened. As I posted before, she may have played me, but I found it a fair deal. And I now do the extensions myself. It was the initial change from tourist visa to retirement visa. Nuff said.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

what crowds when I did my extension in May there was one person in front, in and out in 35 minutes, but you do have to fill in the extra two forms still with address and sign, oh the stress!

I also did my last 1 year extension in May, but no extra forms. It was exactly as last year. I was inside immigration maybe 10 min. Should have been less if it wasn't for the guy before me which didn't have a clue about the required 12 months bank statement as he was from Australia. He got rejected and was told to come back with correct documents. 

31 minutes ago, J Town said:

Call me a liar, I really don't care. That was what happened. As I posted before, she may have played me, but I found it a fair deal. And I now do the extensions myself. It was the initial change from tourist visa to retirement visa. Nuff said.

You are correct about the ฿19,000 for 3+12 months at desk 7. BUT, it's not worth it when the normal price is ฿2,000+฿1,900. Plus the trip to BKK if using the monthly income method. 

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

I very much doubt the room 7 19000 bht scenario. Jomtien has always been very straight forward in all my extensions. //

Jomtien is easy for Retirement Extensions, sure, but for the first step - the conversion to the Non-O and the first Extension - I heard many people being "offered" such deal of nearly 20'000B to get it done quick and easy... Looks like it's always the same lady managing this inside business.

So yes, corruption exists in Jomtien Immigration too. ????

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You are correct about the ฿19,000 for 3+12 months at desk 7. BUT, it's not worth it when the normal price is ฿2,000+฿1,900. Plus the trip to BKK if using the monthly income method. 

It was COMPLETELY worth not having to make SEVERAL trips to Bangkok. 19k minus 2k+1900k = 15,100k. Maybe I have more money than sense but as I stated, it was worth it to me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, J Town said:

It was COMPLETELY worth not having to make SEVERAL trips to Bangkok. 19k minus 2k+1900k = 15,100k. Maybe I have more money than sense but as I stated, it was worth it to me.

Didn't you get a multi entry permit also...that's another 3,800 off the 19k

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, J Town said:

I do my own annual extensions. Having the 800k baht in the bank makes it a breeze. It was the initial change from a tourist visa to the non imm o that required the forms in Thai and several trips to Bangkok. I was quite happy to have her do it.

I expect that was some years ago when these conversions could only be done there, more recently local offices can do them.

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I expect that was some years ago when these conversions could only be done there, more recently local offices can do them.

Yes it was. Normally one starts this process outside Thailand. Having come in on a tourist visa put me in a hard spot.

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

The word "extension" is used multiple times in this document, you should try to read it a few more times, then you might understand it.

Obviously "context" is not in your vocabulary.

I have never indicated what interpretation would be what was intended. Between the ministerial notice, immigration announcement and infographic, ambiguity has raised it's ugly head, even immigration have a difference of opinion. Only the arrogant would claim they know which opinion would be right.

In many, anti government sentiment has created a narrow minded perspective, based primarily on self interest.

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously "context" is not in your vocabulary.

Context is quite irrelevant in this situation, as the ministerial notice, as well as the immigration notice call it "extension".

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have never indicated what interpretation would be what was intended.

In your previous post you did just that, you said it's not an extension.

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Context is quite irrelevant in this situation, as the ministerial notice, as well as the immigration notice call it "extension".

In your previous post you did just that, you said it's not an extension.

"Context" is more than relevant, maybe not to someone who cannot tell the difference between an extension to a ministerial notice and a visa extension.

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

"Context" is more than relevant, maybe not to someone who cannot tell the difference between an extension to a ministerial notice and a visa extension.

There is no such thing as an extension to a ministerial notice. They don't extend it, they update it.

But the Cabinet extended the permission to stay of foreigners (in short "visa extension")

Edited by jackdd

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no such thing as an extension to a ministerial notice. They don't extend it, they update it.

But the Cabinet extended the permission to stay of foreigners (in short "visa extension")

You really do have a problem with context, so feel free to believe anything you want.

21 hours ago, J Town said:

It was COMPLETELY worth not having to make SEVERAL trips to Bangkok.

//

What are these "trips to Bangkok" that you seem to be so angry about?

Most people don't need such "trips" to get their yearly extension... (AFAIK :unsure:)

Can't your Embassy issue documents and send them by mail?

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

What are these "trips to Bangkok" that you seem to be so angry about?

Most people don't need such "trips" to get their yearly extension... (AFAIK :unsure:)

Can't your Embassy issue documents and send them by mail?

GAWD this is irritating. NOT "angry" about the Bangkok trips, irritated by people asking questions I already answered.