Mazda 2 troubleshooting

Brunolem

This thread is mostly intended to Mazda 2 owners, or potential owners.

Last year, I bought a new Mazda 2, the top of the range model.

With time I have discovered that this car has a number of conception defects, the most annoying by far being the vibrations inside the cabin.

On a smooth road, everything is perfect, but as soon as the road becomes like a cheese grater, which happens a lot in Thailand, especially in Sisaket province, you better not leave anything (pen, can...) free to move inside the cabin.

As if that was not enough, it appears that the vibrations progressively untighten the screws or bolts or whatever holding the aircon vents, thus creating an irritating metallic noise...of which the people at Mazda appear to be well aware of.

While I intend to sell this car asap and never come close to a Mazda again, I would like to know if some of you, Mazda 2 owners, have come into the same kind of problem, and if so, how did you remedy to it?

Your input is welcome

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

My GF is planning to buy one next year (or ...er I am planning to buy one for her to drive). I did some initial research and I haven't heard too much about this issue...in fact it seems it's one of the most popular selling cars in Thailand the past few years. Interested to hear other owners chime in on this. Our neighbor has one and aside from replacing the battery after 18 months, everything else seems OK as far as I know.

• Like 2

I had a Mazda 2 for 5 years from 2015 until a few months ago when I sold it. It was the current model and it had exactly the same problem as yours. The car was fine on very smooth road surfaces but when you got away from the city the vibrations could be quite bad. The tyre noise was quite bad so we often had the radio up loud which sort of diverted your attention from the vibrations and tyre noise. It's a shame because other than that the car had a lot going for it.

When I asked about the problem, I heard many other owners had found the same. So it's not just your car. Mazda 3s including the current model have a similar problem.

30 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I had a Mazda 2 for 5 years from 2015 until a few months ago when I sold it. It was the current model and it had exactly the same problem as yours. The car was fine on very smooth road surfaces but when you got away from the city the vibrations could be quite bad. The tyre noise was quite bad so we often had the radio up loud which sort of diverted your attention from the vibrations and tyre noise. It's a shame because other than that the car had a lot going for it.

When I asked about the problem, I heard many other owners had found the same. So it's not just your car. Mazda 3s including the current model have a similar problem.

Thank you very much for that. 

It's "comforting" to know that I didn't buy a rotten apple by bad luck, but that all the Mazda apples are actually rotten. 

Having said that it is totally unacceptable that, in the year 2020, cars can still suffer from issues supposed to have been delt with decades ago... and even more unacceptable that Mazda knowingly keeps on selling for years cars suffering from such issues... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Drivers who are used to have the radio constantly turned on, especially at high volume, won't notice what I describe... 

had a mazda 3 for 5 years not the slightest problems, exchanged it to a mazda 5 for the past 2.5 years nothing to complain...oh sorry, did had a big problem 2 months after the purchase, the gas pump stopped working had to wait 3 weeks for Japan to send another one, other then that perfect, no noise, no rackling/rumbling/vibrations at all... back home 40+ years ago had many of Mazdas, including Miata,  never had a problem, that's why I keep buying Mazda

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mazda make fantastic cars and in some ways Mazda seems to be what Honda once was amongst the Japanese car manufacturers - producing cars for "drivers" with cutting edge features and technology ahead of the competition.

But Mazda most certainly does have a problem producing cars free of vibrations. The new Mazda 3 and the Mazda CX30 both have these issues. Mazda 3 was first released late last year and CX30 this year. As you say, Brunolem, this is not good enough in 2020! Drive them on perfect surfaces and they're a dream, but get them on roads where the surface isn't perfect and the vibrations and noises detract from the whole driving experience.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about getting either a Mazda 2 or 3. I think that in comparison to the Mazda lineup, all other cars seem dull and uninspiring, both inside and out. The design is simply gorgeous and the interior is way above the rest in terms of overall design and "feel".

If vibrations on rugged roads are the only complaint so far, I'll love it even more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I have a Mazda 3 bought in June 2016. All fine, no major problems. Beautiful design, very snaz. Spunky & peppy. But built for Japanese driving, not Thai country roads. Fine when I'm driving it but my b/f's driving knocks a few weeks off its lifespan every time he gets behind the wheel ...

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I have a Mazda 3 bought in June 2016. All fine, no major problems. Beautiful design, very snaz. Spunky & peppy. But built for Japanese driving, not Thai country roads. Fine when I'm driving it but my b/f's driving knocks a few weeks off its lifespan every time he gets behind the wheel ...

Spunky is a good thing?

I have a Mazda 2 from 2014. Do not have the issues you describe.

i have had a few Mazda Miatas.....great fun car.....engine pretty much bullet proof.

suggestion....our other car is a Suzuki Ciaz. I believe they are in the same price range. I much prefer driving the Suzuki....if you sell your Mazda, check out and test drive a Ciaz. A very comfortable and easy car to drive. It sells for around 600,000. A/C is excellent compared to the tired Mazda a/c. The Suzuki dealership here in Korat is excellent on every visit.....across the country it might not be as good. Good luck.

• Like 1

Haven't had a problem with vibration on my Mazda 2. Did have a problem with white dust, my GF was freaking out because she thought it would give her cancer. Could not explain it's the stuff you can't see that will.

Turned out there were white sound deadening blocks of foam plastic in the front door panels, and they had been manufactured with dodgy resin or catalyst. Problem solved by re-installing them after wrapping them in cling plastic.

As a small car, I prefer it to the ones with CVT, the choice of being able to operate it as an automatic or select manual mode was a big selling point with me. I come from a generation that was taught how to drive cars with manual transmissions.

IMG20200730101251.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I have a Mazda 2 from 2014. Do not have the issues you describe.

i have had a few Mazda Miatas.....great fun car.....engine pretty much bullet proof.

suggestion....our other car is a Suzuki Ciaz. I believe they are in the same price range. I much prefer driving the Suzuki....if you sell your Mazda, check out and test drive a Ciaz. A very comfortable and easy car to drive. It sells for around 600,000. A/C is excellent compared to the tired Mazda a/c. The Suzuki dealership here in Korat is excellent on every visit.....across the country it might not be as good. Good luck.

Tired Mazda a/c? I never get past 2 on the dial, it's got 5 or 6 settings from memory. My GF complains it's too cold on 2, have to dial the temperature up.

Are you sure the refrigerant is not leaking? Your car is 6 years old, may be worth checking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

I had a Suzuki Swift before the Mazda...good car, but a bit rustic.

I plan to buy something bigger now, like the new Nissan Kicks...looks interesting, an electric SUV that produces its own electricity...

If the suspension is very tight on corrugated road surfaces, then reduce the tyre pressure by 2-3psi down to about 30-32psi cold.. This will definitely reduce the firmness of the ride quality. Also brand of tyres.. I've always loved the ride of the Michellin for comfort and reduced road noise.. One other option worth considering are after-market shocker dampers offering a softer ride experience.. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, owenm said:

If the suspension is very tight on corrugated road surfaces, then reduce the tyre pressure by 2-3psi down to about 30-32psi cold.. This will definitely reduce the firmness of the ride quality. Also brand of tyres.. I've always loved the ride of the Michellin for comfort and reduced road noise.. One other option worth considering are after-market shocker dampers offering a softer ride experience.. 

Great advice. Over-inflated tires is big issue here, and it is defiantly worth checking. 

Correct pressure should be noted on a sticker inside the door-jam. My spec is 29, and they're always 45 when I get it back form service...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, owenm said:

Agree, I only buy Michelins here for my cars. Better grip in wet weather conditions as well.

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Great advice. Over-inflated tires is big issue here, and it is defiantly worth checking. 

Correct pressure should be noted on a sticker inside the door-jam. My spec is 29, and they're always 45 when I get it back form service...

That's the Thai philosophy, more is always better.

12 hours ago, owenm said:

That is what i was going to suggest. Lower the tyre pressures, try it its free. 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:53 PM, Lacessit said:

Agree, I only buy Michelins here for my cars. Better grip in wet weather conditions as well.

You work for Michelin??, plenty of decent tyres around. Nexen are excellent rain tyres. 

The most expensive doesn't equate to the best. 

11 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

You work for Michelin??, plenty of decent tyres around. Nexen are excellent rain tyres. 

The most expensive doesn't equate to the best. 

No, I don't work for Michelin. Having driven a range of vehicles with various brands of tyres for just under 60 years, IMO Michelin are the best in all conditions.

Never heard of Nexen prior to your post. If I wanted expensive, I'd be buying Coopers.