Thailand COC Seeks Further Amnesty For Foreigners

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The seeming end of the amnesty has probably allowed Immigration to get a good handle on how many Tourists and Border Runners remain in Thailand, and also where these folks are staying (at least on the

Google this search term for the article: Chamber of Commerce seeks visa amnesty for tourists It's great to hear that there are many Thais who really do want us to stay here longer. They have expres

Yes - not knowing Thailand well, I must say I was still a little surprised that the government didn't implement some kind of official temporary regulation amendement to allow allow foreigners to simpl

5 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

It's kind of late isn't it? Many who couldn't or didn't want to get a visa would have already gone home or made arrangements to.

Numbers at immigration over the last few days counter that.

It would seem unlikely they will do an about loss of face now, unlesss International pressure is brought to bear, they seem to react to that better than domestic criticism.

Given some time it will not make a difference...... or maybe. In a months time, those who just obtained their one and only Embassy letter will be back in the queues.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

It's kind of late isn't it? Many who couldn't or didn't want to get a visa would have already gone home or made arrangements to.

Probably a diplomatic decision. My guess would be they didn't want to step on any toes of some more powerful people in the govt, prior to the 26th deadline. 

My opinion only.

Edited by audaciousnomad
38 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Google this search term for the article:
Chamber of Commerce seeks visa amnesty for tourists

It's great to hear that there are many Thais who really do want us to stay here longer. They have expressed upwards that they are grateful for the farangs who stayed behind and continue supporting their businesses rather than flee back to their home countries.

Problem is, TVF Economists have already thoroughly discredited and sneered at the Thai COC for daring say the contraction of fourth quarter GDP may lessen by a modest 2-3 per cent. For example,

So we'll have to refuse any extensions that may arise owing to their help, sorry. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Problem is, TVF Economists have already thoroughly discredited and sneered at the Thai COC for daring say the contraction of fourth quarter GDP may lessen by a modest 2-3 per cent. 

So we'll have to refuse any extensions that may arise owing to their help, sorry. 

We've got survive before we can thrive.  So if a change in stance will help us extend further, I'm grateful for it. All things considered, I have more confidence to be able to get back on solid footing by waiting it out here rather than in those other countries(including my own) who have crashed and burned spectacularly in managing the health of both their citizens and their economies.

• Like 1

Why do they need another amnesty extension?

They've already implemented pretty much perpetual 30 day extensions for anyone who can produce a letter from their embassy or a medical certificate indicating they can't or shouldn't fly out.  Seems like the only real difference is that the extensions aren't automatic.  You have to take some action and pay for the each 30 days.

Long term visa/extension holders haven't been denied extensions they qualified for.  Agents and Thai Elite Visa purchases have taken up a lot of the slack for people on the fringes.   I'm sure that leaves some good people out in the cold, but not many in the target demographics.  Mostly folks that don't meet the requirements for the visa they'd like, regardless of Covid.

It's interesting that the article in the source that can't be linked indicates that 70% of the foreigners they're trying to keep are Chinese, with "others being from Japan and Europe".  So, western foreigners are just a small part of the equation, in spite of all the protestations about us being crucial to propping up the Thai economy.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not against extending the amnesty.  But any reasonable discussion needs to start from an understanding of the actual situation.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, greggraham said:

So they raised the issue 3 times, including recently with the PM and the Interior Ministry, and were told it's "in the process", but nothing happened. 😶

I noticed too. It gave me the impression that the CoC is not on a level playing field with others in the hierarchy of govt here. They are more of a mouthpiece for small and medium enterprises in Thailand, but not having much leverage in terms of "moving the earth" here.  But at least we can see that we are not alone in our thinking that us remaining here indeed does help prop up the economy. Maybe if they keep squeaking, then the amnesty gear will get its oil again. 😉

• Like 2

The "amnesty" party is over as of close of business 26 Sep/Sat (well, maybe 28 Sep/Mon at some immigration offices).   

Over the past few weeks it should have been obvious as the nose on your face that if a person needed/wanted to stay in Thailand they were going to have to get the appropriate visa/extension.  The government was simply not interested in providing another amnesty extension period.  

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Pib said:

The "amnesty" party is over as of close of business 26 Sep/Sat (well, maybe 28 Sep/Mon at some immigration offices).   

Over the past few weeks it should have been obvious as the nose on your face that if a person needed/wanted to stay in Thailand they were going to have to get the appropriate visa/extension.  The government was simply not interested in providing another amnesty extension period.  

There was a party?  Didn't get an invite. 😛 

• Haha 1

They were alway so going to extend the amnesty after 26th.

Good luck to everyone.

I’m going to drown my sorrows in magic truffles in Amsterdam.

• Haha 2