Thailand Road Carnage: At least seven dead in early morning Korat tour bus smash - driver "fell asleep"

rooster59

Thailand Road Carnage: At least seven dead in early morning Korat tour bus smash - driver "fell asleep"

bus.JPG

Image: Daily News

Around 4.30 am today Pho Klang police in Nakhon Ratchasima received reports of a tour bus having smashed into a truck trailer at an intersection on the Korat to Kabinburi Route 304.

At the scene the Pansuk tour group bus from Roi-Et was on its side. 

Dead bodies were strewn all over the road surface. 

At least seven were found and more were feared dead inside the wreckage. Many injured were rushed to hospital. 

Truck driver Thanasak said he had slowed before going through an intersection - the kind that just has flashing lights at night.

He thought that the bus that slammed into his rear had not braked at all and the driver had probably fallen asleep behind the wheel.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-26

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jvs said:
8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So the trucker thought that the bus would slow down for him? I guess in the same vein as Thai traffic lights needing a countdown timer, they will need to install brake lights on the front of vehicles so that second-guessing like this can be eliminated in the 'investigation'. Will certainly make playing 'chicken' and 'shooting the gap' much more exciting.

The bus was driving behind the truck?Truck slowed down but bus kept going,bang.

Oops... my speed read, sorry. Yes, looks like the slowing truck was rear-ended. It might be interesting to see who was in what lane. Overnight buses tend to ride the smoother right-hand lane and in my experience on the Mitrapharp and 304, most heavy trucks usually park up overnight and very few move before first light. The embedded video shows a well-lit and wide junction with traffic lights and the front part of the truck in the nearside lane but the trailer skewed out across the left-hand lane. Does indeed look like a simple, high-speed rear-ender.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

They should make sure that this gets headlined in the Chinese media. Then the Chinese will understand that the regular carnage among tourists here isn't specifically directed against them but is completely random, and so be able to return as tourists in future feeling much safer, lol.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, jvs said:

Another terrible accident that could have been avoided but i doubt anything will change after this time either.

Entirely true. "Road Carnage" in Thailand, like gun culture (read: violence) in America is endemic and immutable. Nothing will change. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo53 said:

Probably no requirement for buses to have seat belts installed!

Buses are definitely required to have seat-belts, and passengers are required to use them !  The staff on the buses from Hua Hin to Swampy are very strict about this legal obligation.

• Like 2

We have not had a report like this in a while, multiple deaths. Driving is back to normal I see.

No seat belts. Reckless driving, no licenses.

Another commission board will be set up and issue studied... with same results......

RIP   

He didn’t fall asleep - he wasn’t paying attention to road traffic. It’s called situational awareness 

sadly, but this country refuses to accept driving accountability so excuses like wet roads falling asleep brake failure are tossed about

they will say anything as long as it isn’t driver error...Zero acceptance of driver’s fault and until drivers are held accountable and punished, driving behavior will remain the same...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

Probably no requirement for buses to have seat belts installed!

From what I know they should be especially the minivans a friend of mine has about 10 minivans all fitted with belts and the drivers are to make sure all passengers wear them, I hired one to go to the airport to pickup some friends and the driver did say to belt up please

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So the trucker thought that the bus would slow down for him? I guess in the same vein as Thai traffic lights needing a countdown timer, they will need to install brake lights on the front of vehicles so that second-guessing like this can be eliminated in the 'investigation'. Will certainly make playing 'chicken' and 'shooting the gap' much more exciting.

So, you don't read so well... the bus was BEHIND him!

• Like 1