Pheu Thai faces inner turmoil as Sudarat and five key members resign from their posts

rooster59

Pheu Thai faces inner turmoil as Sudarat and five key members resign from their posts

By THE NATION

800_82861bc55543d92.jpg

In a surprise development, Sudarat Keyuraphan has quit as chief strategist of Pheu Thai Party.

In a Facebook post on Friday evening, she said: “Although I am no longer the chief strategist, I am still a party member who is committed to working for the people and pushing for the amendment of the Constitution. I would like to thank all people who have been supporting the party and me all these years, and thank other members of the strategic committee for their hard work and sacrifice.”

On the same day, four other members of Pheu Thai's strategic committee -- Kittiratt Na Ranong, Watana Muangsook, Phongthep Thepkanjana and Bhokin Balakul -- also posted on their Facebook pages that they had quit the committee. Party deputy secretary-general Jirayu Huangsub posted on FB that he too had resigned from his position.

A news source revealed that signs of disagreement within the party were visible since last week when MPs from the northeastern provinces refused to attend the party’s meeting because they were discontented with the current policies proposed by the strategic committee and the leadership of party chief Sompong Amornwiwat.

Full story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395163?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-26

27 minutes ago, pegman said:

The real fireworks have not begun yet.

Not sure as they will pull strings and tricks  to keep power and they will use force if they see fit. They only care about  them, the Elite and? And it is they as a group formed council. If real fireworks are going to happen then that might entail spilt blood, but one thing is for sure, they will not give up their source of income easily without a cost. How much are the younger generation willing to go to is the question. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Since Nation doesn't want to do TVF threads about the real news, I'll just quote Thai Enquirer:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/18858/government-plans-to-dissolve-house-to-keep-senatorial-advantage-if-november-vote-goes-astray/

The game is now definitely on. The delay in voting will cause severe anger.

That would definitely tip the balance, the gloves would be off if the government try to pull a stunt like that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

If I had a cushy job as a Senator with all the brown envelope benefits I am certainly going to vote to lose my job by voting to my cushy job. I am a lemming.

They don't get brown envelopes any longer...it's all digital.....the payments won't fit into paper bags ????

in house fighting ..... It was only a matter of time, 

and folks on here haven't a clue why Thailand must have someone who can take control. This is Thailand where opposing political parties can never stay together and unite peacefully. It always has been and always will be.   imo  

The nation needs something more akin to the FFP. Younger, more progressive minds. The age of the dinosaurs is coming to an end. They are nearly extinct. Soon, the great and courageous youth of Thailand will demonstrate that they are the only hope this nation has of moving forward. They are the true patriots and they will take over. They will oust the super toxic army. Just watch. It is inevitable. Away with the prehistoric clowns. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

in house fighting ..... It was only a matter of time, 

Happens in every party, but started very quickly with Palang Pracharath Party, actually about weeks after they grabbed power.

You ever heard about that party Steven?

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thailand must have someone who can take control.

Yes, but there is a difference between someone who takes control by force, and someone who can control.

The former Thailand has already, the latter they will hopefully have before the end of the year, when the former has been removed

Edited by Susco

I think the article is wrong. There is no turmoil in Pheu Thai. This is all about the next election.

What they know is that the new progressive parties will take a huge portion of the vote and leave them and the Palang with much reduced seats and therefore no real power.  

They don't want to be a bit part of someones else' coalition they want their own coalition with them on top. Indeed they may be left out completely in the cold if there is a landslide for the progressives.

They will now remodel themselves and try and become the "new" future forward or be the controlling member of an alliance. I would not trust them as far as I could throw bus to be honest. The Thai in the street deserves better than what Palang or Pheu Thai have given them in the past.

Edited by MRToMRT

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It would seem deals are being made behind closed doors. This will surely only make matters much worse. 

I think you are right. Potjaman recently was photographed giving a donation, and there was also a photo op of her family all in yellow (minus the square faced guy who was unable to get a flight in to join the family fun). The timing together with the resignation of certain people from their positions in the party seems far too coincidental.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I think the article is wrong. There is no turmoil in Pheu Thai. This is all about the next election.

What they know is that the new progressive parties will take a huge portion of the vote and leave them and the Palang with much reduced seats and therefore no real power.  

They don't want to be a bit part of someones else' coalition they want their own coalition with them on top. Indeed they may be left out completely in the cold if there is a landslide for the progressives.

They will now remodel themselves and try and become the "new" future forward or be the controlling member of an alliance. I would not trust them as far as I could throw bus to be honest. The Thai in the street deserves better than what Palang or Pheu Thai have given them in the past.

I am not so sure about that. Will the "progressives" get more votes than the other parties? I don't think so. We are seeing a lot of news online for that group which is misleading. We tend to see content we are interested in or follow so of course if you follow this line, everything will look rosy. But what percentage of the voting age population is really following politics online and sharing opinions? I would not not think it is all that high. People need to look outside their bubble or comfort zone. Start following posters from the other side on facebook or twitter or whatever. 

Having said that, I really do hope that the Move Forward Party's support grows considerably as every other party seems to be so self serving and their candidates are in politics for themselves first, party second and Joe Public last.