Tiktok anti-gay censorship

Oxx

Apparently TikTok's censorship rules include censorship of:

• “Intimate activities (holding hands, touching, kissing) between homosexual lovers”
  • “reports of homosexual groups, including news, characters, music, tv show, pictures”
  • “protecting rights of homosexuals (parade, slogan, etc.)”

Whilst China is set on suppressing Islam within its borders it's apparently happy to bow to Muslim demands globally.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/26/tiktoks-local-moderation-guidelines-ban-pro-lgbt-content

Edited by Oxx
Forgot link
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I hope it's OK that I am posting in a topic which has been inactive for a few months...Feel free to delete if not.

You have confirmed what I suspected regarding TikTok. I hope public pressure steps up on TikTok to change their censorship policy and I can only hope, one day, that China wakes up and embraces modernity. I spent some time teaching in China and ended up leaving early (after around 6 months). I couldn't deal with the ignorance and (sometimes) outright homophobia within China. What's worse is the hypocrisy... You go into a Gay bar/club in China and it's PACKED. Now I realise you can't assume every person is gay, but still...

To follow-up on what you said Puchaiyank... It worries me that you're absolutetely right and so many people (especially young people) are now accessing TikTok. People, generally, are easily swayed and China could definitely use the platform to meet their own ends.