Jump to content

Apply New Credit Card in Thailand


Recommended Posts

Dear All 

 

 

I just wondering will i able to apply a new credit card from other bank if i only work in Thailand since July? 

Because i got my Thai Citibank Debit Cars doesn't accept quite some place e.g. Big C, 7-11....

 

My salary was around 240K/ month and on 1 year work permit...

 

 

Edited by Martinxx0630
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i am retired, no job, no work permit and if I stay in Bangkok much longer, soon no money    but Bangkok Bank gave me a Visa Credit Card after I open a fixed account to use as collateral. 

Most Thai banks will want to see a work/pay history for a minimum of 6 months before they will issue an unsecured credit card. Such cards are available to expats with a work permit. Like @Crossy, I ha

Nice salary..

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

but Bangkok Bank gave me a Visa Credit Card after I open a fixed account to use as collateral. 

Then I pay the balance automatically every month from my conventional savings account. zero interest charge. 

 

 

Standard procedure with Thai Banks.   Essentially just borrowing money from yourself and paying back each month.

 

Did the bank give you the passbook to the fixed account?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have several "real" Thai credit cards so it's quite possible, credit limit around 5 times my monthly salary. It can't hurt to ask but your issue is going to be your short work / banking history.

 

I would kick off with one of the secured cards, your current bank will likely offer one. Once you get some history you could go for a "real" credit card

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

 

 

Standard procedure with Thai Banks.   Essentially just borrowing money from yourself and paying back each month.

 

Did the bank give you the passbook to the fixed account?

yes actually the accounts were opened about a year before I asked for the card. 

it is where I keep my 800,000 baht retirement extension of stay money. 

i did not link the accounts with a ATM. They can't even be accessed online. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes actually the accounts were opened about a year before I asked for the card. 

it is where I keep my 800,000 baht retirement extension of stay money. 

i did not link the accounts with a ATM. They can't even be accessed online. 

Does the " yes" refer to my question about you having the account  passbook tied to the fixed account.    You were given a savings passbook for the  fixed account?

 

If you don't have it, be sure to get it or close out the account if you move from the area where the bank is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Does the " yes" refer to my question about you having the account  passbook tied to the fixed account.    You were given a savings passbook for the  fixed account?

 

If you don't have it, be sure to get it or close out the account if you move from the area where the bank is.

yes i have a passbook. thank you for info.

Edited by NCC1701A
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Martinxx0630 said:

...since July?

 

Most Thai banks will want to see a work/pay history for a minimum of 6 months before they will issue an unsecured credit card. Such cards are available to expats with a work permit. Like @Crossy, I have one but it took some persistence to get it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blackcab said:

 

Most Thai banks will want to see a work/pay history for a minimum of 6 months before they will issue an unsecured credit card. Such cards are available to expats with a work permit. Like @Crossy, I have one but it took some persistence to get it.

Citibank did offer me a citi prestige card but it's around 40K ( just around 1.5 times of my salary) but I mainly looking for kbank or scb as lots of shop offering discount for this 2 bank. 

 

SCB staff did offer me to purchase a 4M insurance product with them so they can offer me a scb first ac with scb first credit card but I no reason to purchase a 4m baht insurance lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you have an account with the same bank your employer trades with you might ask your office manager or finance manager to ask the bank. 

 

I have Citibank visa and Thai American express. Also had a K-Bank visa or master card but never used it. In every case, they approached me. 

 

Also note that most cards here carry an annual fee, but if you use the card they will refund the fees when you call and squeak....

 

 

Edited by Yellowtail
sp
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Assuming you have an account with the same bank your employer trades with you might ask your office manager or finance manager to ask the bank. 

 

I have Citibank visa and Thai American express. Also had a K-Bank visa or master card but never used it. In every case, they approached me. 

 

Also note that most cards here carry an annual fee, but if you use the card they will refund the fees when you call and squeak....

 

 

I did try to apply Amex platinum but they rejected me. They didn't tell me a reason but I think I only provide them one month salary record and bank statement that's why they rejected me. ( at that time I only have one month salary record in bank) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that hard - I have three.  I got a Citibank Visa card even though I don't bank with them - they gave me a really high limit and then later upped it further (without me asking).  All I needed to do was fill out a form, show visa and work permit and (if I remember correctly) three months of salary slips.  They had a booth in Emporium one day and I went and asked and applied and a couple of weeks later had the card.

Amex also really simple and I have got two of those, again similar application procedure, although they gave me a lower limit than Citibank, but still pretty generous.

So I would suggest starting with those two.  You don't have a lot of work history but if you have three months of slips you should be ok, but they might just give you a low limit to begin with until you prove you repay in a timely manner.

Edited by josephbloggs
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Martinxx0630 said:

I did try to apply Amex platinum but they rejected me. They didn't tell me a reason but I think I only provide them one month salary record and bank statement that's why they rejected me. ( at that time I only have one month salary record in bank) 

Yes, you would need a minimum of three months.  And generally you will need to show payslips, not bank deposits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Martinxx0630 said:

Citibank did offer me a citi prestige card but it's around 40K ( just around 1.5 times of my salary) but I mainly looking for kbank or scb as lots of shop offering discount for this 2 bank. 

 

SCB staff did offer me to purchase a 4M insurance product with them so they can offer me a scb first ac with scb first credit card but I no reason to purchase a 4m baht insurance lol 

After 6 month you can ask at Citibank for a real credit card.. right now you only have a debit card.. I also have the prestige ATM card. As I just opened my account there about 1 month ago. They told me after 6 months I am able to receive a real credit card from them if I am interested.

As you already have an account there I think this will be the best way for an easy way to receive a credit card.
With Kasikorn it's possible and as well with Krungthai. I am sure there are even more banks which giving out creditcards, if you have enough money or a salary (but in most ways) as someone already wrote... you need at least a history of 6 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...