Apply New Credit Card in Thailand

Martinxx0630

Dear All 

I just wondering will i able to apply a new credit card from other bank if i only work in Thailand since July? 

Because i got my Thai Citibank Debit Cars doesn't accept quite some place e.g. Big C, 7-11....

My salary was around 240K/ month and on 1 year work permit...

Edited by Martinxx0630

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

but Bangkok Bank gave me a Visa Credit Card after I open a fixed account to use as collateral. 

Then I pay the balance automatically every month from my conventional savings account. zero interest charge. 

Standard procedure with Thai Banks.   Essentially just borrowing money from yourself and paying back each month.

Did the bank give you the passbook to the fixed account?

• Like 1

I have several "real" Thai credit cards so it's quite possible, credit limit around 5 times my monthly salary. It can't hurt to ask but your issue is going to be your short work / banking history.

I would kick off with one of the secured cards, your current bank will likely offer one. Once you get some history you could go for a "real" credit card

4 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Standard procedure with Thai Banks.   Essentially just borrowing money from yourself and paying back each month.

Did the bank give you the passbook to the fixed account?

yes actually the accounts were opened about a year before I asked for the card. 

it is where I keep my 800,000 baht retirement extension of stay money. 

i did not link the accounts with a ATM. They can't even be accessed online. 

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes actually the accounts were opened about a year before I asked for the card. 

it is where I keep my 800,000 baht retirement extension of stay money. 

i did not link the accounts with a ATM. They can't even be accessed online. 

Does the " yes" refer to my question about you having the account  passbook tied to the fixed account.    You were given a savings passbook for the  fixed account?

If you don't have it, be sure to get it or close out the account if you move from the area where the bank is.

3 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Does the " yes" refer to my question about you having the account  passbook tied to the fixed account.    You were given a savings passbook for the  fixed account?

If you don't have it, be sure to get it or close out the account if you move from the area where the bank is.

yes i have a passbook. thank you for info.

Edited by NCC1701A

1 hour ago, Martinxx0630 said:

...since July?

Most Thai banks will want to see a work/pay history for a minimum of 6 months before they will issue an unsecured credit card. Such cards are available to expats with a work permit. Like @Crossy, I have one but it took some persistence to get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

Most Thai banks will want to see a work/pay history for a minimum of 6 months before they will issue an unsecured credit card. Such cards are available to expats with a work permit. Like @Crossy, I have one but it took some persistence to get it.

Citibank did offer me a citi prestige card but it's around 40K ( just around 1.5 times of my salary) but I mainly looking for kbank or scb as lots of shop offering discount for this 2 bank. 

SCB staff did offer me to purchase a 4M insurance product with them so they can offer me a scb first ac with scb first credit card but I no reason to purchase a 4m baht insurance lol 

Assuming you have an account with the same bank your employer trades with you might ask your office manager or finance manager to ask the bank. 

I have Citibank visa and Thai American express. Also had a K-Bank visa or master card but never used it. In every case, they approached me. 

Also note that most cards here carry an annual fee, but if you use the card they will refund the fees when you call and squeak....

Edited by Yellowtail
sp

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Assuming you have an account with the same bank your employer trades with you might ask your office manager or finance manager to ask the bank. 

I have Citibank visa and Thai American express. Also had a K-Bank visa or master card but never used it. In every case, they approached me. 

Also note that most cards here carry an annual fee, but if you use the card they will refund the fees when you call and squeak....

I did try to apply Amex platinum but they rejected me. They didn't tell me a reason but I think I only provide them one month salary record and bank statement that's why they rejected me. ( at that time I only have one month salary record in bank) 

• Haha 1

It's not that hard - I have three.  I got a Citibank Visa card even though I don't bank with them - they gave me a really high limit and then later upped it further (without me asking).  All I needed to do was fill out a form, show visa and work permit and (if I remember correctly) three months of salary slips.  They had a booth in Emporium one day and I went and asked and applied and a couple of weeks later had the card.

Amex also really simple and I have got two of those, again similar application procedure, although they gave me a lower limit than Citibank, but still pretty generous.

So I would suggest starting with those two.  You don't have a lot of work history but if you have three months of slips you should be ok, but they might just give you a low limit to begin with until you prove you repay in a timely manner.

Edited by josephbloggs

29 minutes ago, Martinxx0630 said:

I did try to apply Amex platinum but they rejected me. They didn't tell me a reason but I think I only provide them one month salary record and bank statement that's why they rejected me. ( at that time I only have one month salary record in bank) 

Yes, you would need a minimum of three months.  And generally you will need to show payslips, not bank deposits.

5 hours ago, Martinxx0630 said:

Citibank did offer me a citi prestige card but it's around 40K ( just around 1.5 times of my salary) but I mainly looking for kbank or scb as lots of shop offering discount for this 2 bank. 

SCB staff did offer me to purchase a 4M insurance product with them so they can offer me a scb first ac with scb first credit card but I no reason to purchase a 4m baht insurance lol 

After 6 month you can ask at Citibank for a real credit card.. right now you only have a debit card.. I also have the prestige ATM card. As I just opened my account there about 1 month ago. They told me after 6 months I am able to receive a real credit card from them if I am interested.

As you already have an account there I think this will be the best way for an easy way to receive a credit card.
With Kasikorn it's possible and as well with Krungthai. I am sure there are even more banks which giving out creditcards, if you have enough money or a salary (but in most ways) as someone already wrote... you need at least a history of 6 months.

26 minutes ago, HampiK said:

After 6 month you can ask at Citibank for a real credit card.. right now you only have a debit card.. I also have the prestige ATM card. As I just opened my account there about 1 month ago. They told me after 6 months I am able to receive a real credit card from them if I am interested.

As you already have an account there I think this will be the best way for an easy way to receive a credit card.
With Kasikorn it's possible and as well with Krungthai. I am sure there are even more banks which giving out creditcards, if you have enough money or a salary (but in most ways) as someone already wrote... you need at least a history of 6 months.

Nono..I currently got a credit card from citibank, which credit limit was 400K, its a real credit card without holding deposit in my account.

I had a citigold account with them, but its seem its different department and they dont have any access between two different department. 

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's not that hard - I have three.  I got a Citibank Visa card even though I don't bank with them - they gave me a really high limit and then later upped it further (without me asking).  All I needed to do was fill out a form, show visa and work permit and (if I remember correctly) three months of salary slips.  They had a booth in Emporium one day and I went and asked and applied and a couple of weeks later had the card.

Amex also really simple and I have got two of those, again similar application procedure, although they gave me a lower limit than Citibank, but still pretty generous.

So I would suggest starting with those two.  You don't have a lot of work history but if you have three months of slips you should be ok, but they might just give you a low limit to begin with until you prove you repay in a timely manner.

I applied citibank when i receive my first month salary then i apply it thru telephone sales and i got 400K Credit limit with around 1.5 times of my currently salary..i thought they will grant me 2-4 times salary...as i am thinking to do some online business to grant some extra income.. 

10 hours ago, Martinxx0630 said:

Nono..I currently got a credit card from citibank, which credit limit was 400K, its a real credit card without holding deposit in my account.

I had a citigold account with them, but its seem its different department and they dont have any access between two different department. 

Mean you have your name printed on your card?

OK, with CitiGold it's easier to receive a real credit card faster. And you can become better card and not need to pay a yearly fee for it. But that the departements are not connected is new for me, but possible (I don't know).

I was expecting with a CityGold account you should automatically have easier access to many city features.

I see some call the ATM card credit cards, only because it's written VISA or Mastercard on it but mostly it's a Debit card.

About another banks credit card, first you need to have an account with the other bank, then there is a chance that you can receive one. Here in Thailand many things are mainly on money. You have a good salary or a bigger amount of money in the bank and you will receive more perks. Sometimes other Banks even accept bank statements from your main bank, to rethink you are able to receive a card (I have a person I know, which is very very rich, and she always has a very easy life to receive what she wants in Thailand. Money speaks).

Edited by HampiK

4 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Mean you have your name printed on your card?

OK, with CitiGold it's easier to receive a real credit card faster. And you can become better card and not need to pay a yearly fee for it. But that the departements are not connected is new for me, but possible (I don't know).

I was expecting with a CityGold account you should automatically have easier access to many city features.

I see some call the ATM card credit cards, only because it's written VISA or Mastercard on it but mostly it's a Debit card.

I have a Citi Platinum Rewards Card, the fee is pretty hefty, but they refund it ever year. They came out to the plant one day, set up a table and signed everyone up that wanted one. No idea how many were approved. 

I get a discount (up to 10%) at a number of places with it, and used the buyer protection once and it worked out okay. Couple hotel stays on the points as well.

my experience is the same as @blackcab in that both BBL and Kbank (the two banks i have wholly unsecured credit cards with and started out with) both wanted to see a minimum of 6 consecutive months of proven salary, deposited into my thai bank account, before they’d consider my application.  

i do now have a Thai-issued Amex and a also a First Choice (a part of Krungsri) and those two didn’t ask for 6mos.. Amex essentially used my US card history together with my Thai NCB report and First Choice only wanted 3 months at that time, but by then i had already built up a fairly decent NCB report which i suspect played a part in my approval.

2 minutes ago, new2here said:

my experience is the same as @blackcab in that both BBL and Kbank (the two banks i have wholly unsecured credit cards with and started out with) both wanted to see a minimum of 6 consecutive months of proven salary, deposited into my thai bank account, before they’d consider my application.  

i do now have a Thai-issued Amex and a also a First Choice (a part of Krungsri) and those two didn’t ask for 6mos.. Amex essentially used my US card history together with my Thai NCB report and First Choice only wanted 3 months at that time, but by then i had already built up a fairly decent NCB report which i suspect played a part in my approval.

Not disagreeing, but I have never had my salary deposited into a Thai bank and I have a couple cards and had a k-bank card. I think you can use an official letter from your company that confirms your salary. 

Try at the bank where your salary goes to - though generally they'll want you to work for longer, even Thais don't get a card while under probation, usually after 1 year on the job so.

But no harm to try. Worst they can do is reject your application. In that case you try another bank.

On 9/26/2020 at 11:58 AM, NCC1701A said:

i am retired, no job, no work permit and if I stay in Bangkok much longer, soon no money:clap2: 

but Bangkok Bank gave me a Visa Credit Card after I open a fixed account to use as collateral. 

Then I pay the balance automatically every month from my conventional savings account. zero interest charge. 

I would look into that. many will tell you on this forum that a expat will not be able to get a conventional credit card but some members here have done it. 

as always with dealing with banks or immigration dress like you are going to a important job interview. 

how is your experience with Citi Bank?

I took my Thai gf to Bangkok Bank once, she guaranteed that enough pension would come in, and then we both together opened my first bank account in Thailand. 

Those ATMs at 7/11 sometimes can't read a modern ATM chip card, some use other transaction methods like telephone banking. I'm afraid you have to do what the monitor tells you : contact the issuing bank.

A bank dress code is not important for customers in hot Thailand anymore, they're used to all kinds of old Hippies by now. 

On 9/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, Martinxx0630 said:

I just wondering will i able to apply a new credit card from other bank if i only work in Thailand since July? 

Because i got my Thai Citibank Debit Cars doesn't accept quite some place e.g. Big C, 7-11....

If you have the finance girl/boy who deals with payroll, ask the bank that does the payroll service, to speak to them, you will get a proper Credit Card, not one of these 'credit against your own funds' things.

240k should get you about 150-200k credit line.

They do give them, i've had one with SCB since 2012, one thing that is important (where Foreigners are concerned) the company must be a above board legit company which has an appearance of going somewhere, not a mom and pop store or similar, in my case we were developing a 150m$ resort, and had 60 staff on payroll (directly) that was set to extend to 200 when complete for the hotel side. 

We banked with SCB initially, and they had our history etc and then moved to Bangkok Bank later, so there was at least 5yrs history of the company and SCB for them to pull from.

Edited by Jenkins9039

12 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Try at the bank where your salary goes to - though generally they'll want you to work for longer, even Thais don't get a card while under probation, usually after 1 year on the job so.

But no harm to try. Worst they can do is reject your application. In that case you try another bank.

my salary pay directly to Citibank Thailand...and i had a card from citibank with a 1.5 times credit limit of my salary..but i am looking for kbank / scb....