Amnesty to be extended to October 31

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I don't get the negativity of some posters here. Prolonging the automatic extension is the sensible thing to do, as it has become obvious that immigration offices cannot handle the onslaught of applicants.

By announcing this decision late, they simply ensured that those who were willing and able to leave did just that. Or maybe being proactive isn't their strong suit. Whatever.

Or just lazy people who didnt want to spend time and  money getting a visa extension and they now get rewarded for being nonchalant .

You can understand some people being irked when they used up their 30 day extension and the nonchalant get rewarded with an extra 30 days free 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trappedinasia said:

. Even the people desperate enough to apply for the new STV might reconsider if they saw farangs getting rounded up and packed into prisons in the news. 

That wont happen though , people will just get fined when they do leave .

If the odd person gets caught overstaying , they would just get deported as usual .

40 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

They haven't even announced it on the final day - apparently, according to the ONLY source - the bangkok herald, it'll be announced on Monday - after the final day, and without cabinet approval, which is the usual process. A quick google search of the bangkok herald revealed nothing other than the website, it's not listed on wikipedia under Thailands mass media, and it's 'about us' page is blank. I strongly suspect this is clickbait.

It is a bit odd that this previously unheard of website has these "sources" while others are not reporting it at all. Why would these sources not leak the information to a better known newspaper or website? Then again, there do seem to be on the ground reports that immigration offices are not open as planned.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You need a certificate from a hospital

And make sure it is in Thai language from a hospital doctor. Remember they will grant 30 days from the DATE of the letter not the end of amnesty date in this case (i.e. Sept. 26). If your letter is dated Oct. 10 then you have until Nov. 10, even if the next 30 day extension period ends Nov. 25.

Of course this information was not announced by IM. And to add more confusion to the mix, procedures may vary depending on IM location.

Edited by Rockbottom
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, vkuehne said:

Yeah man, it was actually the despair and stress of my gf that made me do it. We were sitting by the sea, Thursday afternoon, and then I took the final decision. Felt dirty the entire time, but yes...knowing that we will spend a happy winter in Ao Nang, paradise without tourists...relaxing. Still...supporting the evil in this country big time directly...I am still disgusted at myself. 

You think you're feeling dirty now after popping for an ED visa.  Wait until Immigration visits the school and asks for their attendance records.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kuzbidon said:

IF confirmed this will be an exelent news for all the people who could not get an extension for many good reasons.

Yacht owners who entered as crew or captain and don't have any stamps in their passport.

Ummm....  If they have no stamp at all in their passport, how do they qualify for an amnesty that's targeted toward people whose permission to stay expired after March 26?

6 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Nearly everything in this quote is wrong/false !:bah:

- My Thai debit card (KasikornBank) can be used abroad in ATMs. No problem

- A virtual web Visa card is associated with the account of the debit card, and can be used for Internet purchases, in Thailand or abroad

- There is no problem to transfer such an amount towards another country. You can even do it just from the App on your phone 

:cool:

New account? Or one you've had for a while? A lot of things are different right now.

3 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

How long does it take to reach a decision on something like this? I'd say 5 minutes. There is no time to deliberate. It just has to be rubber stamped and approved. Should have been done 2 weeks ago, because everyone could see this coming. 

You're not thinking from a politician's point of view. You're thinking from a foreigner's point of view. Perhaps most Thais want foreigner tourists that have had a half year free extension kicked out. And perhaps it's seen as a long overdue cleansing of border runners.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am always cautious of accepting isolated press reports. However, the reports of Chaengwattana suddenly not seeing processing extensions as an urgent priority lends credence to the reports. I would not say the new amnesty is certain, but it does now seem likely, albeit there may be restrictions.

It’s likely some clickbait that gets money from ad clicks. None of the stories are original on the site, on top of all my other reasons on the previous page. This is a fake article on a fake site. I did the research and checked the source. Where are these reports of CW shutting down - the only report is from this article. No one has actually verified it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ehgnyc said:

1) Bring 800,000 baht, which I can well afford, into a country that is behaving like a banana republic. That Thai bank account would have come with a debit card that could only be used in Thailand, not even for internet purchases. And not even the remotest chance of ever transferring it out of here.

It would be good if you actually posted truth rather than making up your own fake miss information.

I have a Thai debt card. 
I use it for internet purchases, the largest was an iPhone a couple of months ago.

I have used it in other countries.

Once transferred into Thailand you should get a document showing that you brought it in, with that document you can transfer it out anytime you want.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Everybody who know anything understand this "news" not real before it's in Royal gazette.

But have to be really stupid "internet magazine" to do so much material in they page's! If only want give bs story! Ok maybe they want more "hit" they page's to get more money from advert. But almost all is normal new's! If they new's now going to be bs, then they not get any "hit" nomore (and no money) !So why mix bs news there if all others is "ok"? But like i say: so far it's hear say!

That’s really easy to fake too - you can use an app to take all of those stories from another website - it’s actually how most homepages work, they take the stories from other people as a wall of news - such as yahoo/bing etc. the difference here is they try and make it look like it’s theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you read the article the reason would be crowded immigration offices, nothing else. The requirements will probably be exactly the same. So, if you don't meet the requirements to extend the stay now, what will change next month? 

maybe embassies will be less idiot and will give us the requested letter ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It would be good if you actually posted truth rather than making up your own fake miss information.

I have a Thai debt card. 
I use it for internet purchases, the largest was an iPhone a couple of months ago.

I have used it in other countries.

Once transferred into Thailand you should get a document showing that you brought it in, with that document you can transfer it out anytime you want.

I asked at a Bangkok Bank if I could open an account. They really didn't want to do it now, but after proving I had ample funds in the US said they would consider it, to come back the next day. I then asked if it would come with a Visa or Mastercard card. They said initially no, but perhaps in the future. I thanked them for their time and said I wasn't interested. That's all I know. Perhaps they don't really want to open accounts right now. I also met a group of French people at the same bank who were having a lot of problems transferring their money out of the country as they had to leave.

• Haha 1