Amnesty to be extended to October 31

5 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I just got back to the US yesterday. Followed the rules and left before the 26th. COVID madness here, no normalization in sight. We'll be masks for years to come.

So I should have just stayed until I was illegal and waited for more amnesty? If that's true I'm going to be <deleted>.

You should have at least got the embassy letter and extended.  The US will probably be one of the best places in a few months, but not now.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, genericptr said:

So I should have just stayed until I was illegal and waited for more amnesty? If that's true I'm going to be <deleted>.

It's not confirmed yet until it is officially announced by the PM on TV or newspaper. So far that hasn't happened.

1 minute ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

You should have at least got the embassy letter and extended.

I never tried but I just assumed I didn't qualify (my mistake I guess). There were always flights back and I'm healthy so I figured I would get called out by them or immigration.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I will believe it when I see the official news. It's not posted on Bangkok Post or Thaiger or nationThailand yet if ever.

Is today not the 26th? That was our deadline to leave. If they extend it that means the've extended amnesty to people who technical broke the law.

I could see them waiving late fees for people who were extending but immigration ran out of time (yes, it's their own fault but nevertheless) but if you just stayed and have no means to get legal? Seems unlikely given immigrations usual stance.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ehgnyc said:

I asked at a Bangkok Bank if I could open an account. They really didn't want to do it now, but after proving I had ample funds in the US said they would consider it, to come back the next day. I then asked if it would come with a Visa or Mastercard card. They said initially no, but perhaps in the future. I thanked them for their time and said I wasn't interested. That's all I know. Perhaps they don't really want to open accounts right now. I also met a group of French people at the same bank who were having a lot of problems transferring their money out of the country as they had to leave.

It is reasonably well known that different banks and different branches will give different answers, the answers you get may or may not be accurate. I actually have 3 different debit cards from 3 different banks they are all visa or master card, you can select the access allowed with some SWMBO has a visa debit card that is only a debit card because that is all she wanted, I have a Visa debit  card from the same branch of the bank that has full access to online and international use.

One of your problems is your nationality as your country requires onerous reporting from all Thai banks on all American customers 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

It ain't my website ???? but I did share it.  They were right last time.  Probably right this time.  As soon as I see breaking news about the amnesty i share it here, because I constantly keep updated whenever a deadline approaches.  Like I said, they were right in July and were the first media to report the extension and then everyone followed.  And doesn't matter a whole lot this time around anyway, since most of us already took care of our visas.  But it could be good news for beyond October.  I think now everyone will wait until the last day to extend their visas.  

It wasn't very difficult to understand that they would extend the amnesty 2 months ago. At that time many countries borders were closed and several airlines didn't fly at all. That was the main reason for the extended amnesty. The situation is not the same anymore, but loads of so called "stranded" tourists don't have a clue that airlines are flying out of Thailand almost every day of the week. The rest are cheap charlies who wants free extensions. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I could see them waiving late fees for people who were extending but immigration ran out of time (yes, it's their own fault but nevertheless) but if you just stayed and have no means to get legal? Seems unlikely given immigrations usual stance.

It’s been reported that at least 2 offices are not going to charge overstay fines on Monday, it remains to be seen if this is accurate and if it’s limited to Monday applications. Udon is one office.

1 hour ago, sncoem said:

if they had made it easier like just pay a fee and get billions revenue for Thailand, people would have have done it earlier.

The so called stranded tourists prefers free extensions. That's why they wait. If they have to pay ฿1,900 for an extension they will whine for an eternity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If the amnesty ends on a Saturday or Sunday when immigration is normally closed, you can go there Monday, and there will be no fine for overstay what so ever. But Tuesday is another story. 

Udon immigration office was open today as were several/many others so that does not apply. It is quite possible that until the overcrowding dies down that the late applicants will be lucky. Only time will tell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Udon immigration office was open today as were several/many others so that does not apply. It is quite possible that until the overcrowding dies down that the late applicants will be lucky. Only time will tell

The fact of that contrary to some earlier reports many immigration offices were open today but there wasn't mass overcrowding counts against there being any further extension to the amnesty. What reason would they have for extending it on Monday if everything seems to be going smoothly in terms of some people leaving and some people extending their visas? 

4 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I told you that when they originally said they were coming out with the letters and you wondered if you qualified. Best of luck back there.

It's my fault for never trying but I didn't want to play this game of extending every month. My plan was to ride out COVID in Thailand but clearly it's here to stay as governments aren't even looking at deaths or hospitalizations anymore. 

I will say it would be smart to extend for another 30 days in hopes they issue the new 3 month visa in country but that option wasn't announced yet when I got my ticket. 

• Like 1

Bangok Herald.png

Source: https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/thailand-visa-amnesty-gets-last-minute-extension-to-oct-31-sources/

I loaded the https://www.immigration.go.th/ website about 7 pm on Saturday and there was nothing there about this new extension and also now it is not yet there. Let's look out for it starting Monday morning. As with some other things, some immigration officials may have to be shown it on their own website to believe that it is true when the need arises to make use of this automatic extension.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If they didn’t have proof of inward transfer that is not a surprise.

I never ever had to show proof for any source of funds when doing international money transfers.

These guys could just use Paypal, e-wire services or their ATM card to withdraw the money abroad if there's really a problem. What kind of fortunes do people ("Tourists") keep in their Thai bank accounts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I think you're wrong for the following reason .........

Immigration know exactly how many foreigners don't have extensions, and are here on amnesty.

If there's 100,000 for example about roll on to overstay, then clearly they have to do another extension ....... or try and arrest 100,000 foreigners (where would they put them all?).

Which is why they did the extension, not because they were worried about queues, but because they were worried about a law situation they couldn't easily address, and would probably prove embarrassing to the country in the long run.

Personally, I do not see why the authorities would be obliged to arrest 100,000 people just because they are aware now of 100,000 people more on overstay than before the amnesty. If a new amnesty is not announced (which it now seems will not be the case) they can pick and choose who they arrest, prosecute and deport. Well publicised raids picking up 20 people would be quite sufficient to frighten most of the remaining 100,000 to become legal.

15 hours ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

If this is true , at least we don't need to go to immigration to take care of under consideration stamps, right?  And it's still a few more days over 26.  So that's good too.  But if they extended it this month, they'll probably keep extending.  

YOU HAVE TO CLOSE THE UNDER CONSIDERATION STAMP. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

I never ever had to show proof for any source of funds when doing international money transfers.

These guys could just use Paypal, e-wire services or their ATM card to withdraw the money abroad if there's really a problem. What kind of fortunes do people ("Tourists") keep in their Thai bank accounts?

They were business owners from what I could gather.

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

Bangok Herald.png

Source: https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/thailand-visa-amnesty-gets-last-minute-extension-to-oct-31-sources/

I loaded the https://www.immigration.go.th/ website about 7 pm on Saturday and there was nothing there about this new extension and also now it is not yet there. Let's look out for it starting Monday morning. As with some other things, some immigration officials may have to be shown it on their own website to believe that it is true when the need arises to make use of this automatic extension.

Knowing how severe the libel/defamation laws are here, it would be absolutely insane for the Herald to print this without any shred of truth. Falsely suggesting that the highest ranking govt official in the Kingdom has approved a legal order is surely bordering on criminal under the laws here.
Noting that, I expect sometime this week we will all see that there is indeed some truth to this extension announcement.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Noting that, I expect sometime this week we will all see that there is indeed some truth to this extension announcement.

Royal Gazette comes out later though the week, we may not get a confirmation until middle to late next week. unless immigration staff or the pm says something.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Personally, I do not see why the authorities would be obliged to arrest 100,000 people just because they are aware now of 100,000 people more on overstay than before the amnesty. If a new amnesty is not announced (which it now seems will not be the case) they can pick and choose who they arrest, prosecute and deport. Well publicised raids picking up 20 people would be quite sufficient to frighten most of the remaining 100,000 to become legal.

How do you become legal if you are already on overstay? Sure you can go and pay the fine but there is always the chance they will arrest you. Regardless if they started arresting farung it would become a PR nightmare. Imagine the world press reporting Immigration were too unorganized to process everyone and then went and arrested people for it.

• Like 2