Phuket: More than 40,000 out of work and it'll only get worse if foreign tourists don't come back

rooster59

1 hour ago, johng said:

The other day on a  Thai news TV channel they said there where only 800,000 unemployed the highest figure for a decade ! I don't know where these "incredible" figures come from but

maybe they borrowed TAT's calculator ?

Why would you think that figure is wrong? I actually believe its higher.

36 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Why would you think that figure is wrong? I actually believe its higher.

I believe it's much higher too.

If I remember correctly they where giving figures of about 300,000 unemployed before the WuFlu debacle struck.

Maybe should have said they are using the inverse TAT calculator.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

Better headline:
Phuket: More than 40,000 out of work and it'll only get worse if the government keeps the Thai borders closed to foreign tourist.

Ask Pm Prayut to invest in real economic businesses that can be sustainable.. tourism is not that model.

On 9/26/2020 at 5:51 PM, rooster59 said:

the entire country's tourism industry that has been devastated by the pandemic, notes Thaivisa.

the entire country's tourism industry that has been devastated by the

governments knee jerk reaction to lock down the economy, notes I

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I prefer to call it the Maga Cult and self serving GOP politicians....  I wear my mask as science suggests..

Believe the experts, no not those experts, those experts over there that agree with me.  ????

And what's sad is, not a single big cheese Govt. honcho is saying, wow, we really do depend on those pesky foreigners for a lot of livelihoods.  When we get them back, lets all try and treat them a little better this time, OK?  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Netherlands have spikes too yet there are no more in hospitals and no more dying either, the real difference; they test even its known to have 30-50% mistakes on results. Anyway, much more jobs will be gone soon enough, as a lot of money indirectly comes from foreigners and tourism related business. 

Actually most of Thailand seem to only consist of endless repeats of optical stores, motorbike and car shops, 7/11s and maybe a few more. Sometimes I wonder if there is a conspiracy behind the population count of near 70 million here, as you almost never see any of them at all. I mean even central Bangkok is like a ghost town at night nowadays, the capital with millions of people....

Credit where credit is due optical stores, motorbike and car shops, 7/11 and a massage hole in the wall shop with a room behind as a knocking shop. When I lived in Thailand I had to visit many "massage" places not to get a happy ending. My girlfriend did not believe me and told me, all man want it. I said "Tiruk" only with you. She never believed me. 

Edited by AdamTheFarang
w

20 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Netherlands have spikes too yet there are no more in hospitals and no more dying either, the real difference; they test even its known to have 30-50% mistakes on results. Anyway, much more jobs will be gone soon enough, as a lot of money indirectly comes from foreigners and tourism related business. 

Actually most of Thailand seem to only consist of endless repeats of optical stores, motorbike and car shops, 7/11s and maybe a few more. Sometimes I wonder if there is a conspiracy behind the population count of near 70 million here, as you almost never see any of them at all. I mean even central Bangkok is like a ghost town at night nowadays, the capital with millions of people....

Credit where credit is due optical stores, motorbike and car shops, 7/11 and a massage hole in the wall shop with a room behind as a knocking shop. When I lived in Thailand I had to visit many "massage" places not to get a happy ending. My girlfriend did not believe me and told me, all man want it. I said "Tiruk" only with you. She never believed me. 

3 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Believe the experts, no not those experts, those experts over there that agree with me.  ????

Or deny science and yet preach about a vaccine, created by science minded chemist.....oh the humanity!

Refuse to wear a mask around the living but be sure to wear one when paying fake respect to a dead one..

Create a problem then swoop in promising to fix the problem that in fact, you created to begin with.....sigh

I wish Phuket and Thailand the best of luck.  Next Winter , like Noveber 2021

will likely be the earliest to expect some international travelers coming

back to Thailand and Asia in higher numbers.  Write off this Winter and

plant lots of gardens to survive until then.

Geezer

• Like 1

You all just crying and complaining about tourism then why the hell don’t let everything to go on normal way? Don’t you wake up this is not going to work this stupid way? Everywhere in the world the overpopulation is a big political issue and they must act towards it, so what is your problem here is the big time chance for it and the same time not to control and restrict people so what’s your problem? I know your problem is just that alongside solving the overpopulation issue you want to fill up your pockets without that the plan is not round isn’t it?

On 9/27/2020 at 1:17 AM, TheFreqFlyer said:

The Thai economy is the WORST performer in ASEAN this year and all sheep like you want to do is keep it closed. Before you know it, locals out of work will start rioting, crime will go up and law and order will collapse.

Why? For a "virus" that is no worse than a normal flu. A virus that you need a test to know you even have, and a very faulty test at that. 

This is crazy.

Let's end this madness and open the floodgates. Be fair to the Thai people. They deserve better. They need jobs so they can put food on the table, pay their mortgages and loans and put their children through school. 

With fewer tourists, Thais normally reliant on tourism (more than 20% of GDP including indirect sources) will have less money to spend in the local economy. Less money to buy cars for example. This will have a knock on effect, which could lead to the closure of more Thai car factories (GM already left earlier this year) and in the worst case scenario, the complete collapse of the automotive industry in the country. 

Not to mention, investors will flee if they aren't allowed to easily enter the country to oversee their operations. New investors won't come at all. 

Without tourists and foreign investors, Thailand is doomed and the standard of living will drop. Poverty will go through the roof and the country will go back to 1980s standard of living. 

It cant go back to the 1980's standard. It barely reached the 1880's yet!