ILR application in UK after COVID

Sorry if this has already been covered.  I did a quick search but couldn't find anything here.

My wife's application for her ILR is due in Feb 2021.  We've been in the UK for 5 years now and she's currently on a 2.5 year FLR.

She needs to do a B1 English test and a LitUK test for her ILR but obviously COVID has restricted any chance of doing it so far this year.

Is the Home Office giving any extensions to her current Visa because of COVID?

If we cannot do the tests in time then can we apply for another 2.5 year FLR?

TIA

5 hours ago, KunMatt said:

She needs to do a B1 English test and a LitUK test

Without being harsh, I do wonder why your wife has left it so late in the first place. B1 and LitUK can be taken at any time and much easier to get it all out of the way at the earliest opportunity. Very expensive lesson if she doesn't pass in good time.  

15 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Without being harsh, I do wonder why your wife has left it so late in the first place. B1 and LitUK can be taken at any time and much easier to get it all out of the way at the earliest opportunity. Very expensive lesson if she doesn't pass in good time.  

Plan was to do the tests early in the year but then COVID got in the way.  She has studied and done courses for both.  She did an English course in UK for over a year for the English test.

Just checking that all she needs is a B1 english and LitUK?

If she doesn't get the tests done in time can I just get her another FLR?

TIA

21 minutes ago, KunMatt said:

Plan was to do the tests early in the year but then COVID got in the way.  She has studied and done courses for both.  She did an English course in UK for over a year for the English test.

Just checking that all she needs is a B1 english and LitUK?

If she doesn't get the tests done in time can I just get her another FLR?

TIA

Just book both tests for 2-3 weeks hence and get them done. If she's done courses she should pass easily.

In March my wife and I came back to UK from Thailand with the intention of staying 6 weeks. We got trapped here of course.

In early August I suggested to my wife to do LITUK and English B1 as a bit of challenge to give her something to do. Now her spoken English is pretty ropey and she can't read much English (I speak/read Thai so we normally communicate in Thai) and she only ever did four years of school in Thailand (from 8 - 12 years old).  I got her a book with LITUK material in Thai (you can buy it online) and I found a good free website with LITUK questions.  Also there are about 6-7 YT videos of example B1 English tests. She practised every day for 2-3 weeks.

We booked tests for both and she passed both around end of August. Only got C in English B1, but still a pass - I was surprised she passed to be honest....

I can PM you details of the LITUK book in Thai and the website with practice questions, if you wish.  LITUK cost £50 and B1 was £150.

My wife did the LItuk test, applied for ILR on 2 September and it was granted on 19 September. She now has biometric appointment for citizenship on 6 October. The main problem has been the biometric appointments but they have caught up now. No need to think about another FLR as everything has been open for a couple of months now.

My wife did 3 terms for an ESOL course in the UK and has got an "ESOL Skills for Life single-mode qualification" for "Speaking and Listening to obtain and convey information Entry 3" awarded by the City and Guilds of London Institute.

Is this equivalent to the B1 and can it be used for the ILR application?

Thanks

I am not sure to be honest and I wouldn’t rely on any advice. The only way to be sure is search the Internet for the accepted language standards and providers as this changes from time to time.  That way you will know 100% for sure.  As I said earlier I would certainly recommend getting the LITUK test done ASAP whilst everything is open and of course language test if required. Good luck.

Thanks.  Her LitUK test is booked for 3 weeks time.  That's the backlog for that test.

The B1 test isnt fully reopened yet and several centres are still shut including all both centres closest to where we live.

It would really help if the City and ESOL cert could be used for the B1 qualification.

Does anyone know?

TIA

I just had a look on the list of approved providers and I cannot see it on the list. I really recommend that you have a look yourself so you know for sure. What provider were you looking at for B1? I would recommend Trinity College who are open for business for £150. I just looked at Birmingham as an example and there are appointments on Wednesday so you should be able to book your wife in.

t

Archived