American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

Hmmm..thoughts..choose your battles wisely in LOS Ive learned--the hard way.

Good ole police and fancy hotel add in local mafia and trouble indeed..

I leave reviews and not always good ones but I do it so I dont use my name or identity..

Perfect reviews would make me skeptical as you can never please all people at all times,

as Ive worked in the field for over 30 yrs.....if it is indeed true then they should be able to post it, jai yen yen

I recall trying to bring in a bottle to a club--500 fee.....i declined--then put sangsom into a JW bottle to try that....denied.....now I just drink a tea from 7-11 and pour my small sangsom into it and im good to go for the night in a plastic bottle that looks like tea...problem being I had to drink it straight and keep a poker face!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That attitude explains why Farangs live in the 21st century, while Thais struggle to escape from the 19th century.

And no, I am not saying we are here to fight their battles for them.

But we should not stimulate them in their backwards thinking, or, like many, take advantage of it.

Fear = Power for some

Fear = Submission for most

Your going to have a lot of trouble dragging them into the 20th century little own the 21!  Even some uni educated types still believe the same Krap the serfs believe in. 

On 9/25/2020 at 12:15 PM, scorecard said:

Roll on fast the final testing which proves the vaccine works well with very little side effects.

Roll on fast mass production and distribution of the serum.

Roll on fast the situation where massive numbers of folks, globally, have been inoculated.

Seems to me until all of the above happens we will continue to see chaos and confusion in all aspects of the negative effects of the virus.

Don't know how that got in! ????

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

You mean deport the Thai resort owner as well haha just joking who is the owner any idea Thai or Farang even the manager has not been named as of yet?
Better idea ban the Hotel from Tripadvisor and ban reviews in Thailand completely because they serve no purpose if we can only make positive reviews without being arrested.

Mr. Lum Yong is the owner, apparently.

This website address is https://seaviewkohchang.com owned and operated by Lum Yong and Sea View Resort Company Limited.

We are registered in Thailand, and our registered office is at 63 Moo 4 Koh Chang, Trat 23170 THAILAND.

https://seaviewkohchang.com/privacy-policy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:

We have paid corkage in restaurants all amicable, one must expect to pay,

He had a simple choice pay, or drink establishment beer. Why ruin the night?

Yeah teach him a lesson..sue him.

My drinking isn't so out of control that I have to have alcohol wherever I am.

Glass of water with my meal is good enough. 

I can wait until I'm somewhere else to have a drink, on the beach, on the balcony, or outside 7-11 is just fine.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Little bit advice to any business in any sector: don’t have your customers imprisoned. It isn’t a good look.

theyve  just  nailed  both  feet  into  their  mouth as  thyeve  now  publicised  it even  more

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bodga said:

theyve  just  nailed  both  feet  into  their  mouth as  thyeve  now  publicised  it even  more

I think many will sympathize with the hotel rather than him even the law is quite out of date. Remember every country and especially Usa, have their practicing of law out of order as well. People have easy to forget, and the hotel is quite a good one. If they on top of it was drunk, misbehaved, interrupted the rest of the hotel guests, having a nice evening. It is always more to it when you see it from two sides. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I just booked a room for the weekend end of October.

Im also thinking of booking now ???? 

keep this thread going, and we will be back with updated information about how the hotel is run and how it feels to be a guest there now. 

It seems very apparent that this is the outcome of a smear campaign by the American that involved was protracted to the point of involving fiction ! Perhaps  because he did not  receive the simpering apology for his original post he was expecting ?

The only aspect of the situation I find incredible is the Thai  law that involves the RTP in what is actually a  Civil Law situation rather than a criminal one.

Despite that the escalation of the situation to the point where it is subject to the application of Thai laws is down to the American.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When you move to a foreign country, it is wise to respect its laws. If you can't, then go home. 

Luckily for the current regime they are not foreigners and don't have to respect the law which referred to coups being against the law.What about those that are considered foreigners here yet this is their home as is said to be the case with the offender in this case?

• Like 1

Sea View is located on Kai Bae Beach currently ranks 10th out of 85 properties on the island that have been reviewed on TripAdvisor. Out of 1,922 reviews, 1,090 rate the resort as excellent, 580 rate it as very good, 170 as average, 48 as poor and 32 as terrible.

Dont sound to bad to me

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

It seems that this event happened in July 2020 which means he's on amnesty if he's not on other visas.

I just went to Tripadvisor and looked at recent comments, it's all negative, did he have a few friends who created multiple accounts just to bad-mouthed that resort?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g580110-d594766-Reviews-Sea_View_Resort_Spa_Koh_Chang-Ko_Chang_Trat_Province.html#REVIEWS

I saw one bad review (probably the subject of the OP) and many excellent reviews. I wouldn't have considered not booking this resort on the strength of one bad review.

I stayed in a resort in Koh Chang a couple of years ago. Same as Faulty Towers. I gave it a bad, but honest, review on Tripadvisor and Agoda, from whence I'd booked the resort. My friend, who was with me but had booked separately, left similar reviews. Didn't get a knock on the door.

As others have said, the resort owner has made things much worse. Instead of letting one bad review die a death, he's made the bad review front page news. Knowing that I may be prosecuted for leaving a bad review of this resort, I would avoid it like the plague.

• Like 2