American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

Did you "Thailand is THE BEST- if you dont like it, go home"- crowd even bother to read the guy's explanation?

"We would like to stay at your hotel"

"Go online!"

"Could we see a room, before booking, please?"

"No!"

"Oooooh well...if you inmsist on it, we show it to you..."

That hotel would have heard a loud and clear "*** you very much and goodbye" from me!

Later, he states that they were having a drink ON THE BEACH!

OUTSIDE of the restaurant!

We are told over and over, that there are no private beaches in Thailand!

So how can a resort ask for corkage on a PUBLIC Beach?

I dont agree with the dude on his slavery remarks...that was just dumb!

But he other wise had the right to complain about this kind of "service"!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

I think they were correct to have this guy arrested, he attempted to destroy their reputation based on his own ignorance at a time when business is already bad and ignored all attempts at contact.

I've met people like this guy before and believe me, I've considered having them arrested but I've refrained so far.

Petty. Plenty of petty Euros in Thailand.

Not being able to bring in me own drink is an inconvenience! Na!

Edited by Solinvictus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

I saw one bad review (probably the subject of the OP) and many excellent reviews. I wouldn't have considered not booking this resort on the strength of one bad review.

I stayed in a resort in Koh Chang a couple of years ago. Same as Faulty Towers. I gave it a bad, but honest, review on Tripadvisor and Agoda, from whence I'd booked the resort. My friend, who was with me but had booked separately, left similar reviews. Didn't get a knock on the door.

As others have said, the resort owner has made things much worse. Instead of letting one bad review die a death, he's made the bad review front page news. Knowing that I may be prosecuted for leaving a bad review of this resort, I would avoid it like the plague.

I think they have drawn more attention to themselves respond to the negative reviews in a positive way

• Like 2

Just now, ChipButty said:

Experts say in the STR industry dont ignore it

but if the bad review is purely about the corkage incident then any common sense person reading it knows it's nothing to do with service or quality and as such won't take a scrap of notice. 

I wouldn't as corkage is charged everywhere.

• Like 2

Quite convinient case and timing, thinking of thousands of people sitting in quarantine and just want to scream out how bad they are treated. Might make them think twice before they Complaining about their stay, food, view, noise or leaving a review. 

55 minutes ago, Elayaam said:

I see the 1/5 reviews are starting to flood through on google lol

yes this is not going to end well for the hotel. 

typical comments now:

"This is a disgusting hotel that has customers arrested if they criticize the service they received. DO NOT stay at this hotel."

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Agreed but it rarely warrants them getting arrested for it.

To be fair though Americans are not singled out by this law as it applied is to all nationalities who run their mouth/keyboard and defame a business or person.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, madmitch said:

The criminal defamation laws in Thailand are an absolute joke.

They may well be, but they are also easy to understand. 

Extract from Section 326 of the Thai Criminal Code "anything..... likely to impair the person's reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others". 

No mention there of even being right or wrong, just damaging someone. 

3 minutes ago, rott said:

They may well be, but they are also easy to understand. 

Extract from Section 326 of the Thai Criminal Code "anything..... likely to impair the person's reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others". 

You are right Guilty or Not Guilty 

29 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Best to keep your postings factual and not overly vindictive. Thai Immigration is also suing an expat over comments he made on Twitter. Times are changing in the digital space. Clearly no longer a good idea to express your irresponsible stupidity now is it. 

A lot of the hardcore bashers here are OS however they do Sucker in posters who clearly live here. These fools join the party with scathing attacks on government thinking they are not traceable. 

Penalty will be jail and then blacklist forever. I wonder how the warriors that laid down roots here will handle that? 

6 minutes ago, rott said:

And that is one of the main reaons why the law is so bad and why people can sue for defamation even though the "offender" might be completely right.

In most coutries defamation/libel/slander are civil and not criminal cases. You may have to pay damages but there's no chance of jail.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes this is not going to end well for the hotel. 

typical comments now:

"This is a disgusting hotel that has customers arrested if they criticize the service they received. DO NOT stay at this hotel."

Most likely T/A will suspend their account while the investigation is on going then loss of business at this time for the hotel