SURVEY: Should prostitution be decriminalized?

Scott

SURVEY: Should prostitution be decriminalized?  

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

California legalized marijuana 2018. It sounded like a great idea. Unfortunately there are always unintended consequences. While it was illegal small communities with few job opportunities flourished with the influx of pot dollars. It was small business and the profits went to the small growers and back into the community. Now it is legal the market has tanked. Big companies have entered the picture and depressed the market. Registering to grow legally, permit fees, paying taxes and government intervention have made it unprofitable for the small grower to stay in business. The state wants their cut-so in that sense it is good for legalization. It certainly wasn’t any windfall for the small grower. 

While the parallels may not be exactly the same the dynamics are similar. If it benefits big business and government at the expense of the working girl I’d vote for the girls to keep as much money as possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AAArdvark said:
9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

outdated religious attitudes

4 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Unless you are referring to the minority Muslim community or the even smaller Christian community, that statement is incorrect. The 95% Buddhist community is not really a religion, having no God, and tolerates sex workers and believe they can still reach enlightenment.  Cheating people in bars would be a different matter.

Yes, I am referring to Buddhism as a religion. I'll have no truck with this claim that 'Buddhism doesn't have a deity, therefor it can't be a religion' rubbish.

Any institution that makes false promises about what happens once we die and uses that concept to control peoples lives is, by my definition a religion. It ticks all the boxes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, I am referring to Buddhism as a religion. I'll have no truck with this claim that 'Buddhism doesn't have a deity, therefor it can't be a religion' rubbish.

Any institution that makes false promises about what happens once we die and uses that concept to control peoples lives is, by my definition a religion. It ticks all the boxes.

All organised religions have one thing in common - they all extort money from the poor..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Why are you ....  "you" is some hypothetical person on the moon

1.  clicking on an article about PROSTITUTION....you sickoes!!!!!  I'm reading about clean water, and you care about sex for money.  OMG

2.  you comment as if you are so great, but yet you are happy to comment on HOOKERS and reading on PROSTITUTION.  I'm saving monkeys, no time to read on hookers and sex for money

3.  i've never met a farang in thailand who didn't like hookers.  never

4.  those who are soooo  above this are usually those who are the worst

5.  ok, you want to fight for the hookers.  what are you doing...exactly???  nothing except going to pattaya and being a sexpat.  

I say decriminalize victimless prostitution and criminalize all religions. The wasted money that is spent on mainly Buddhist temples in this country is astounding. All the unproductive men engaging in it's practices contribute nothing to society. Girls in the trade sending money back to their villages help keep them functioning. Monks on the other hand contribute nothing and they are a useless burden.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onrai said:

Big companies have entered the picture and depressed the market.

Odd that because it's still $200 an ounce ......... same as it was before.

And most people buy the illicit grow, because the commercial isn't that good.

I'm guessing if the governments started licencing the big corporations to run brothels, they'd manage to take all the fun out of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

Why are you ....  "you" is some hypothetical person on the moon

1.  clicking on an article about PROSTITUTION....you sickoes!!!!!  I'm reading about clean water, and you care about sex for money.  OMG

2.  you comment as if you are so great, but yet you are happy to comment on HOOKERS and reading on PROSTITUTION.  I'm saving monkeys, no time to read on hookers and sex for money

3.  i've never met a farang in thailand who didn't like hookers.  never

4.  those who are soooo  above this are usually those who are the worst

5.  ok, you want to fight for the hookers.  what are you doing...exactly???  nothing except going to pattaya and being a sexpat.  

I fight for them if any sexpat says <deleted> about them, like I fight for all Thai ladies. I already had trouble with drunken sexpats because of this attitude. 

And I saved some Thai children from being hit by a drunk Western motorbike driver. 

Edited by micmichd

On 9/21/2020 at 1:04 AM, joecoolfrog said:

Who is actually saying that Thailand controlled Covid well , apart from the Thai government ?

Yes they imposed lockdowns ( but not earlier than pretty much every other country ) and they have completely isolated themselves.

That however simply puts them on a par with most of their neighbours.

There was zero initial testing so nobody has a firm idea ( well perhaps some but they are not talking ) of the initial impact of the virus , either in terms of deaths or infections . Testing was never ramped up to any great degree , so impossible to know how many were infected unknowingly , or still may be .

The closing of the borders has had a huge economic impact , devastatingly so in some sectors , yet the financial support has been minimal.

There seems to be no realistic effort to alleviate this problem , the government has spread fear and seems itself paralysed by it.

All in all a very average performance , maybe a C- , certainly need to do better.

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Sex with a prostitute is like paying somebody to laugh at your jokes, it does not really count and she probably hates you anyway

Talking to a psychiatrist is like sex with a prostitute without the sex.