Quality local tea/coffee beans?

Cheesekraft

Any one here drink yerba mate or knows where to buy ?   Including a good cow horn and decent straw.
Spent a number of years in Paraguay and got to really enjoy the taste especially when drunk with cool water; also good in Winter with warm water.
I worked with cattle and horses, an early morning start, the locals drinking with herbs to stop them feeling hungry during the day.

Found a wonderful "real" coffee shop in Hove near Brighton UK that also had yerba mate, you could also have them blend your own selection of coffee beans.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:53 PM, CanuckThai said:

What's the name of the shop?  Sounds interesting

Not sure if you can see whole image, please let me know if you cant.    Sorry for "extra'" images.

Type in to Google the following:-
kunpoh coffee roaster

Not sure where you live whether it is North or South of Khon Kaen, let me know and I can give you directions.

It's a bit set back from the main road so can be easy to miss.
I don't have my own transport so travel to KK by train or bus.
The owner speaks little English.   Normally they are closed Saturday and Sunday.   Not sure of opening time but in afternoon they close around 5pm latest.
Laid back place, new, clean, very pleasant people, have a number of regulars, the owners still learning etiquette of coffee drinking e.g. cool water before drinking black coffee ( served now though not previously ) still don't provide plain tea with cuppuccino, have only a few cakes and biscuits no other food.
The coffees however are excellent.imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f

https://www.zolitic.com/north_east/KhonKaen/24932

This site gives more info.

I think phone number is 098 663 9651

image.png

79.jpg

image.png

Edited by Speedo1968
added text and pics removed
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Not sure if you can see whole image, please let me know if you cant.

Type in to Google the following
kunpoh coffee roaster

Not sure where you live whether it is North or South of Khon Kaen, let me know and I can give you directions.

It's a bit set back from the main road so can be easy to miss.
I don't have my own transport so travel to KK by train or bus.
The owner speaks little English.   Normally they are closed Saturday and Sunday.   Not sure of opening time but in afternoon they close around 5pm latest.
Laid back place, very pleasant people, have a number of regulars, the owners still learning etiquette of coffee drinking e.g. cool water before drinking black coffee ( served now though not previously ) still don't provide plain tea with cuppuccino, have only a few cakes and biscuits no other food.
The coffees however are excellent.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f

Thanks for the tip.  I'm always on the hunt for good/interesting coffee, especially up this way (closer to Kalasin than KK).  I'm in KK quite often and can ask around.  Even better knowing the vendor is a roaster. 

Thanks again!

On 9/28/2020 at 6:48 AM, Sweet Swede said:

Black tea however I have not found any good tea during my 25 years here, not even on Internet.

Yunnan Province, more or less next door to Thailand in China, has two kinds of good blackish tea Puerh Er and Dian Hong. (for PuEr you want Shu/Shou Cha, which has fermented more than Sheng Cha.

Idk if Lazada (etc) has it, but in case it's listed in Chinese:

Puerh Er Shou Cha -  普洱熟茶

Dian Hong Cha - 滇红茶

(Puerh Er Sheng Cha -  普洱生茶, kind of 'light' black tea a bit like Oolong worth trying for comparison)

There are a couple of lesser-known black teas from other parts of China that're good. (And several that seem to be terrible, like Inner Mongolian tea bricks!)

On 9/28/2020 at 8:09 AM, ezzra said:

I'm sure that some will scoff at it but i found Vietnam own G7 Original 3-in-1 Instant Coffee quite enjoyable and good teasing and reasonably priced even with the sugar and creamer added...

G7 also does sachets of pretty good instant without the additives:

https://lenscoffee.com/g7-black-gourmet-instant-coffee/

Wow:

Our taste tests of over 40 brands, our customer comments, and G7 Black's rise to Asia's top-selling black instant coffee support that this is the best black instant coffee in the world.

I'd just stick with "pretty good" (good enough to drink black, neat and strong, eg 1 sachet in a 200ml cup, unlike most instant). In Chinese walmart it's about $2/15 sachet box.

11 hours ago, onebir said:

Yunnan Province, more or less next door to Thailand in China, has two kinds of good blackish tea Puerh Er and Dian Hong. (for PuEr you want Shu/Shou Cha, which has fermented more than Sheng Cha.

Dian Hong Cha - 滇红茶

(Puerh Er Sheng Cha -  普洱生茶, kind of 'light' black tea a bit like Oolong worth trying for comparison)

There are a couple of lesser-known black teas from other parts of China that're good. (And several that seem to be terrible, like Inner Mongolian tea bricks!)

I quite like these teas, but finding a good, reputable seller with decent shipping is very hard.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, ClockTower said:

For CaféCaps web site, just search for “cafecaps Bangkok.”

I had these a few years ago in replacement of the more expensive Nespresso Capsules. 

At the time CafeCaps only had a ‘brown label’ coffee (I recall) - it wasn’t as good as the Nespresso.

I see their range has grown and at half the price of Nespresso Capsules its definitely worth another try. 

I also purchased some ‘MonoPrix’ capsules (can’t remember the name) from Villa Supermarket the other week and these seemed decent enough - a quick look online shows the prices to be from 10-14B per capsule.

https://shoponline.villamarket.com/villaselectitems/selected/product/?form_key=23Pr1iqTsCPdTunm&k=monoprix+coffee

21 hours ago, onebir said:

Dian Hong Cha - 滇红茶

For what it's worth, I like black tea, and in the U.S. the best one is Red Rose--like a better version of Tetley black, I suppose. I can't stand that Earl Grey stuff or similar.