School sacks teacher caught assaulting kindergartners, offers legal help to parents in prosecuting her

rooster59

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If I was a cynic I would say that's to avoid the school facing legal action itself.

A possibility from a cynical point of view yes. But given that the adoption of  cameras was accepted I think maybe the administration were a willing party. 

If I were to add critical cynical supposition it  would be  contemplation of the "assumed/dominant status" of the individual who was fired in that it is  not so uncommon  for  some  members of a  community to inflict themselves by virtue of that status even by extended reason of "connections" but with  zero merit.

What i hear from Thai people is that the woman is not a teacher at all,not even finished highschool.

Who ever hired this woman has something to answer for,when confronted she seemed surprised that

she was doing something wrong.

I worked at that school for a semester 10 years ago.  I think I recognise that teacher although the pictures are poor quality.  She always wore a skirt like that with the flared hem and she was the only one who did.   Nasty bit of work she was.  

I was teaching KG1 and they were delightful, but some would wee or poo their pants and they would get a good slap and a shouting at from her and a couple of other teachers.

There was a little autistic girl called Cake aged about 3 who was very difficult and would not speak to anyone due to her condition, and she was treated very badly by some teachers and assistants.  

I saw one teacher slap her very hard for something once and I shouted at her to leave the kid alone, then gave her a real b0ll0cking for it in front of the other teacher.  She was furious but I threatened to report her if I ever saw her manhandling a kid again, so she gave me a wide berth after that.

I went to the girl and consoled her and from then on she followed me everywhere and I was the only person she would communicate with.

It was not a good place to be for some of the children (and some teachers too) and I got out after just one semester.

If it's the one I think it is, I hope they throw the book at her.  

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Thanks 1

My son attended this school for the last 3 or 4 years. I moved him out to a new school for the start of the current school year because I found the standard of teaching and teachers to be appalling. And not only that, when I had a meeting with the principle (I think she has since moved on) to ask questions about why he was being taught by Filipinos instead of native English speakers (since we were paying the premium rates which stipulated native English teachers) we were fobbed off with silly excuses about not being able to recruit teachers. My son's last teacher at this school was also a complete psychopath. She verbally bullied and threatened the kids on a daily basis and I only found out in his last week of school there. The teacher before that simply didn't care. She refused to deal with the parents, didn't care at all about the job and get this... she used to have kids come up her desk and massage her!!!

My overall impression was that the standard of teachers was not administered properly. I believe there to be many teachers without the proper training or certifications. That was ultimately why I took my son out.

Now, to the current scandal. From what I have heard, this teacher is not a certified teacher and should not be teaching... no surprises there! The cameras were not put in to investigate this teacher. My understanding is that all KG classes have cameras installed and have had them for some time. It was the parents who had been chatting with each other and decided to go to the police and request that the footage is looked at (as many of them had become suspicious). And then of course once this scandal broke and went nationwide there was only one course of action the school could take. Hope this clears up a few things. My feeling is that there is more to come (unfortunately).

• Like 1

Many Thai parents use smacks to discipline their children, as did many parents around the world, likely more than now in days gone by.

A Thai lady I know lives in Finland and she feels she cannot control her 2 year old daughter with smacks because it is frowned on/illegal (?) in that country. She is a devoted, patient and loving Mum and would only choose to smack after all else fails. It is how she was brought up.

12 hours ago, champers said:

Many Thai parents use smacks to discipline their children, as did many parents around the world, likely more than now in days gone by.

A Thai lady I know lives in Finland and she feels she cannot control her 2 year old daughter with smacks because it is frowned on/illegal (?) in that country. She is a devoted, patient and loving Mum and would only choose to smack after all else fails. It is how she was brought up.

There is a huge difference between what you are describing and what is happening in the videos. This teacher is simply bullying and abusing these kids... there's no place for it in any school!

On 9/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

All I know is, in the videos I saw of the woman "teacher" abusing the small children in her care, there were several other adults seen walking about in the same classroom at the same time -- and doing nothing and not even seeming to care or notice as the one "teacher" was pummeling the little kids.  That ought to tell you something about what was going on there.

Absolutely. Suddenly when video hits social media the school is concerned, even offering assistance prosecuting their teachers. How many where aware of it, how long has it been going on, are there any other incidents outside of areas with CTV, has anything previously been reported, are any other staff members involved? Why not have the police investigate? 

UPDATE:

School axes 4 teachers for allegedly assaulting kindergartners, vows to change exec panel

By THE NATION

800_eecc3c1c6f3b684.jpg?v=1601344562

Sarasas Witaed Ratchaphruek School in Nonthaburi province has terminated the employment of four teachers who allegedly physically assaulted young students.

The private school held a press conference on Monday afternoon to clarify the incident where a female teacher was seen on CCTV assaulting kindergarteners.

The recordings showed teacher Onuma Ploadprong physically assaulting the children, banging their heads on their desks, pushing them to the ground and twisting their ears until they screamed in pain.

School principle Nittha Yukhong read an announcement at the conference, saying the school is deeply sorry for the incident and will take responsibility for the action of its staff.

“The school has immediately terminated the employment of Onuma as well as three other teachers who were involved in the incident,” she said. “We are willing to cooperate with officials pursuing legal action against Onuma and others. Furthermore, we will help provide psychiatric help to the traumatised students.”

Warunee Pheukthes, one of the school's teachers, said it would employ stricter measures in monitoring the teaching and activities of staff in the classroom, as well as using “stronger punishment” against staff that fail to adhere to the school’s standards.

“We will also invite parents to monitor the classrooms and take part in learning activities to strengthen parent-teacher cooperation, as well as select our staff based on qualification in kindergarten psychology and properly train them to use suitable disciplinary action and language toward children,” she promised.

Dr Warisnan Detprangprasong, representative of the school administrative panel, has vowed to appoint a new executive panel from its central office in two days to handle the problem as well as address the needs and concerns of parents.

“Please give us another chance to fix our mistakes,” he pleaded. “However, if parents want to take their children out of the school, we are happy to refund their tuition fees,” he said.

After the conference, some of the parents who attended the event still voiced dissatisfaction as the school failed to explain why some of its teachers did not possess professional licences but were instead granted a 2-year “extension” to improve their ability before applying for the licence.

“We found that Onuma had been granted an extension four times and still couldn’t obtain the license,” one of the parents said. “I’ll surely take my kid out of this school as the safety of my child is my top priority.”

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395293

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-29

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

School principle Nittha Yukhong read an announcement at the conference.

Yes Nittha Yukhong needs sacking as well, clearly not up to the job.

Being a private school obviously putting money before the childrens welfare.

Clearly Nittha was turning a blind eye to what was going on, until it became public knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

The recordings showed teacher Onuma Ploadprong physically assaulting the children, banging their heads on their desks, pushing them to the ground and twisting their ears until they screamed in pain.

disgusting; should be criminal charges against those adults

Now, she needs to be arrested, prosecuted, and jailed. It will set an example. And the teachers that are participating in gang rape, and molestation of their students, need to be given a life term in prison, all family assets seized, and have their family names published nationally. Some strong action needs to be taken. Bad teachers seem to have some sort of official protection here.  

• Like 1

i find it interesting that there was some mention (by a parent?) of what i believe to be the Krusapah policy of multiple 2yr temporary or waivers... i wonder if this might drive a movement to put in place a hard cap of say a total of 2 such licenses (ie four years in total)?

i myself am not so sure that teaching while on said waiver is somehow indicative of being sub-standard in terms of teaching skills per se— but i do cede that from a parental optics basis, having a large number of staff teaching while on waivers might give the perception (recognizing that perception and reality are not always similar) of a sub-par educational experience/product being delivered.

I don't understand why so many people at this forum do not like Filipino teachers. The ones my kids had where wonderful people and good teachers. Being a teacher is more than than being perfect at your subject. Or.... do you prefer a native English speaking teacher from Manchester, Newcastle or even better, Glasgow?

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

After the conference, some of the parents who attended the event still voiced dissatisfaction as the school failed to explain why some of its teachers did not possess professional licences but were instead granted a 2-year “extension” to improve their ability before applying for the licence.

“We found that Onuma had been granted an extension four times and still couldn’t obtain the license,” one of the parents said

Coupled to cheap foreign teachers in English language who are on tourist visas and no work permit...

Ohhh how the truth will come out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I don't understand why so many people at this forum do not like Filipino teachers.

They're sure throwing that Filipino under the bus. Looks like he was caught on cam a few times touching their faces. He claims it was to wipe runny noses and messy eaters. Given the greater scrutiny they're put under, I tend to believe him. Yet now he's in the monkey house, awaiting deportation, and much of the discussion in the news is regarding more screening and documentation for foreign teachers. Hah. Typical face saving.

Meanwhile, this THAI "teacher":

1) Isn't even a real teacher, was hired as a nanny, yet given teacher responsibilities.

2) Has been given numerous teaching license waivers over the years, for not meeting the requirements.

3) Has been caught on cam doing far worse, smacking the kids, throwing them across the room, leaving bruises.

4) Was annoyed at slow eaters, snatching away lunches early, sending them home hungry. Perhaps why they had such messy faces, trying to eat quickly.