Protesters scuffle with police at London anti-lockdown demo

rooster59

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're frightened, stay at home ......... then they are no risk to you.

TBH Yes, I am frightened! I am not a Rambo to charge along with a herd protesting against experts, governments and law enforcement people on the pretext of free speech and similar BS.

I totally observe the 'prevention is better than the cure' theory.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What's more I am living in a part of Thailand that has been completely free of Covid 19 and there is very little chance of contracting.

But even here  many business's are closed down and there are few people around. Supermarkets and Robinson's are quiet even at weekends and restaurants are doing little business. Why is this?

I suspect they are doing what I've been doing and staying away because they. like me are fed up with the restrictions. There is more than one way to protest and 'voting with ones feet' is one them.

Or they don't believe the official stats, and are afraid of contracting covid...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeaMonkey said:

And Sweden has had a pretty much normal year for mortality. It’s not the disaster that the news media are making it out to be. 

Looking at the data on a week by week basis, they've had a distinctly abnormal year:

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps#excess-mortality

(see the charts of z score by country, near the bottom).

It was the other scandinavian countries, which did impose far more restrictions, and quite early if I'm not mistaken, that had "pretty much normal" years for mortality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is where I get conflicted.

Yes South Dakota is a very low density State, we're only 800K.

Yet the Sturgis motorcycle rally in early August added 250K people for 2 weeks, and trust me that demographic wasn't mask friendly!

We live in Rapid City, 20 miles from Sturgis, and as of right now Pennington County has a total of 218 deaths, far from the covid apocalypse that was predicted

off topic, but maybe Mod will permit:

Weren't the attendees for the motorcycle event from all over the US, so I assume there are not accurate figures on the resultant spread of Covid. Out of curiosity, what is the per capita death rate from the figure you quoted for Pennington Country, how many were hospitalised in ICU, but recovered?

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

People need to realise this is not going to end, this is just the start, there is no end to this pandemic. You can wear your masks and social distance, it will not make any difference, after the 2nd wave will be the 3rd wave and then the vaccine, then something else.

Klaus Schwab from the WEF said this is the new normal and pre covid will Never return, take heed of those words, because they are in control at present...

What a happy chappie! Forgive me if I'd rather believe in science and am safe in the knowledge that handwashing, masks and distance really do make a difference and when we have a vaccine the world will be months away from breaking the back of covid.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

off topic, but maybe Mod will permit:

Weren't the attendees for the motorcycle event from all over the US, so I assume there are not accurate figures on the resultant spread of Covid. Out of curiosity, what is the per capita death rate from the figure you quoted for Pennington Country, how many were hospitalised in ICU, but recovered?

Actually I misquoted.

That number of deaths was for the entire State, Pennington County has had 37 deaths out of 2249 confirmed cases

As you can see there is no data from hospitalized and recovered.

But on State wide basis the rate is 27 deaths per 100,000

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.43.00 PM.jpg

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is where I get conflicted.

Yes South Dakota is a very low density State, we're only 800K.

Yet the Sturgis motorcycle rally in early August added 250K people for 2 weeks, and trust me that demographic wasn't mask friendly!

We live in Rapid City, 20 miles from Sturgis, and as of right now Pennington County has a total of 218 deaths, far from the covid apocalypse that was predicted

I would guess most those attending were from other states. Given it can take a while for symptoms to appear, it's reasonable to assume that if there were infections and subsequent hospitalization, they would show up elsewhere.

When you say "predicted" it's kinda hard to relate not knowing which prediction or statistics or even time frame is referred to.

Could be wrong, but form the figures you've posted in your next post, seems like the county got a higher rate of infection and death than the state average? I'm in pre-coffee mode and the dog demands her TLC so maybe missing something (well, coffee...yes).

Also, wouldn't the demographic involved include less people of groups designated as being at risk?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

I would guess most those attending were from other states. Given it can take a while for symptoms to appear, it's reasonable to assume that if there were infections and subsequent hospitalization, they would show up elsewhere.

When you say "predicted" it's kinda hard to relate not knowing which prediction or statistics or even time frame is referred to.

Could be wrong, but form the figures you've posted in your next post, seems like the county got a higher rate of infection and death than the state average? I'm in pre-coffee mode and the dog demands her TLC so maybe missing something (well, coffee...yes).

Also, wouldn't the demographic involved include less people of groups designated as being at risk?

You are correct, the death rate for Pennington is 36 per 100K, but how much of that is due to a super spreader event, versus the fact we have a large retirement community, who knows, I'm not a statistician.

The fact remains that back to the UK case, I'm not sure how much these lockdowns work, and whats the trade off for devastating an economy?  

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You are correct, the death rate for Pennington is 36 per 100K, but how much of that is due to a super spreader event, versus the fact we have a large retirement community, who knows, I'm not a statistician.

The fact remains that back to the UK case, I'm not sure how much these lockdowns work, and whats the trade off for devastating an economy?  

I think the first issue could be checked quite accurately, given the relatively low figures of population involved. Not that I have such an answer, obviously, but should be possible to figure it out. One example would be checking attendance of said retirement community in the event, or likelihood or interaction with crowds drawn by the event.

The lockdowns serve to slow down the spread of the pandemic and to ease the pressure on health services. Had the population been more cooperative with regard to other measures (masks, social distancing, washing hands etc.) then things may have been different. Also, I would guess that the UK's initial response had a lot to do with pandemic patterns later on.

No one argues that the economy does not suffer (and obviously, people effected). The trade off, in case of health services collapsing, would be having no economy, and possibly not much of a social order either.

It's not the end of the world, but it needs to be managed in order for it not to get worse. There isn't any recipe book on how to do that, there isn't enough accurate data - so governments try different things, and obviously policies sometimes shift.

On another note, people tend to focus on infections and fatalities. From what I read and hear, it seems like catching this thing doesn't quite end one's troubles when 'off the hook' - lingering effects are kinda nasty.

• Like 2

A post has been removed

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube  etc.) should always be shown

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

State wide basis the rate is 27 deaths per 100,000

Seems to be a high number of deaths from Covid for a low-density population. Would I be correct there is / was low compliance to Covid mitigation advisories?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TeaMonkey said:

1> The country’s that locked down hard have only delayed the spread.

2> There is still no guarantee of a successful vaccine. 
3> 99.94% of the Swedish population have survived this. And those in the 0.058% had an average age of over 80 so many may of [sic] passed away anyway this year of flu or other illness. 
4> So it’s hardly the doomsday bug. 

1> This was precisely their goal: delay the spread so people who got sick could be treated.

2> Nothing is guaranteed. So what? But with time the chances of developing vaccines/ therapies increase. So the chances of saving lives relative to 'letting it run its course' improve.

3> How does this observation make the false contention that

18 hours ago, TeaMonkey said:

Sweden has had a pretty much normal year for mortality.

any more correct?

4> It's not being treated as a doomsday bug.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anto said:

Covid is finished already .The real death rate is now a very low flat curve  Worldwide. 

Check out the UK and US. Its far from over. Check out the charts. The number of new cases globally is still rising exponentially.

Edited by polpott

4 hours ago, anto said:

Covid is finished already .The real death rate is now a very low flat curve  Worldwide. 

D Mike Yeadon in the UK says this pandemic finished months ago, if not spring in this year. This 2nd wave happening is driven by false positives with the PCR test and the fact it's now regular flu and cold season will just cloud what is going on. The deaths in the UK are recorded as covid-19 if tested positive up to 28 days, but what is not known if they were infectious or not. Seeing as 96% have serious multiple underlying conditions if would helpful to know if those who have died showed any symptoms or not or just tested positive. There is a big difference to just testing positive or being infectious.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

You can’t be serious with that comment. Really?

It was over in the UK back in June. 10x more people are dying from flu and pneumonia. Coronavirus doesn’t even appear now in the top 10 causes of death. But the government is keeping this going, bringing in even more restrictions based on laughable science. 

Dr John Lee appeared on the UK radio station talkRadio this morning with some good analysis. (I believe this link is allowed as it is a Government licensed station subject to broadcasting rules) 

Just posted this on my Facebook, another Dr who is speaking out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

You can’t be serious with that comment. Really?

It was over in the UK back in June. 10x more people are dying from flu and pneumonia. Coronavirus doesn’t even appear now in the top 10 causes of death. But the government is keeping this going, bringing in even more restrictions based on laughable science. 

Dr John Lee appeared on the UK radio station talkRadio this morning with some good analysis. (I believe this link is allowed as it is a Government licensed station subject to broadcasting rules) 

Excellent video, TeaMonkey.  To ask a question of those who argue the case of lockdowns, mask wearing, etc., ridicule those who want to get on with life, and espouse the doomsday nature of this virus have any of you watched this video?  And if you have what's your response?  Would sincerely like to get that response.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1