Phuket promotes domestic tourism to help economic recovery

rooster59

Phuket promotes domestic tourism to help economic recovery

Tanakorn Sangiam

ae41d77fdb5ada881e8c694809b37654_small.jpg

PHUKET(NNT)-Businesses in Phuket that used to rely on foreign tourists are now trying to attract domestic tourists for their survival due to the COVID-19 implications affecting international travel. Local agencies, such as Karon subdistrict, have launched stimulation campaigns to help local economies and attract more domestic tourists to the area.

The Mayor of Karon Subdistrict Municipality, Mr Tawee Thongcham, said today that the COVID-19 pandemic has heavily impacted tourism businesses in the area, depriving them of income and forcing many hotels and related businesses to close, resulting in the loss of jobs among tens of thousands employees.

With the government’s introduction of the Travel Together tourism subsidy campaign encouraging Thai people to make domestic trips, Phuket now plans to hold a travel festival targeting domestic travelers, with several activities held at different times.

Among these activities is the Kata Karon Beach food festival taking place tomorrow at Khlong Bangla Park, featuring traditional local dishes, seafood dishes, and other items, along with recommendations of tourism attractions along Kata Karon Beach and across Karon subdistrict.

The organizer expects this event will help boost tourism activities and local economies to a welcome extent.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-09-27

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The organizer expects this event will help boost tourism activities and local economies to a welcome extent.

unfortunately only affordable by a minimal groups as the majority may not be able to afford, barely pocket change into the existing crisis but good try anyway

1 hour ago, connda said:

The Mrs and I will be taking advantage of the closed borders to enjoy a quiet high-season touring Thailand - but - Phuket?  Not on our itinerary.  I imagine those business which are over-priced to begin with and those who ran scams in the past targeting foreigners will simply be even hungrier than ever.  Why dip a toe in those waters as typical Thai behavior is to raise prices when business turns bad.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyone living there, let us know if the price of a beer drops at your favorite watering hole or the price of food drops at your favorite restaurant during the border closures. 
As usual the Mrs and I will bypass the tourism locations that used to cater to foreigners and head to those on the paths less travelled.  I just let the Mrs do the negotiating on prices and packages and limit my activity to chauffeuring.  It should be fun!  :thumbsup:  

Visa extension denied.....next.

Kidding.  

The exploring of paths less travelled and experiencing a more intimate adventure, sounds like the game plan for most 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I agree with you on Phuket still overpriced, however it is not limited to scams in Phuket, I live in Isaan and just had a quote to replace 4 roof tiles at 1,000 baht each, yes 4,000 baht and I have the new roof tiles......lol.

Last time I replaced some roof tiles was last rain season, 10 for 1,000 baht.

I asked the guy why he was so expensive as we replaced 10 roof tiles last season for 1,000 baht, and his reply was because they didn't fix the leak, and he guarantees his work for 3 months, oh I said, funny that because they did actually fix the leak, as this leak is a new leak in a different area.

Found the guy who replaced the tiles last time, he changed his number and moved to a nearby village, he is on his way ????

You go with whomever can perform the work at the lowest relative cost.  The wonders of this world - there is always someone willing to rip you off if they can.  Best approach.  Say "no thanks" and find someone else.  Or in the case of Phuket, just say "no thanks" and travel somewhere where you get better value for your tourism money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, connda said:

The Mrs and I will be taking advantage of the closed borders to enjoy a quiet high-season touring Thailand - but - Phuket?  Not on our itinerary.  I imagine those business which are over-priced to begin with and those who ran scams in the past targeting foreigners will simply be even hungrier than ever.  Why dip a toe in those waters as typical Thai behavior is to raise prices when business turns bad.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyone living there, let us know if the price of a beer drops at your favorite watering hole or the price of food drops at your favorite restaurant during the border closures. 
As usual the Mrs and I will bypass the tourism locations that used to cater to foreigners and head to those on the paths less travelled.  I just let the Mrs do the negotiating on prices and packages and limit my activity to chauffeuring.  It should be fun!  :thumbsup:  

The wise expat. We did the searching for our ideal getaway in Thailand and after years of searching we settled with Krabi for long weekends and local beaches in Trang (Trang has some of the most beautiful secluded beaches I have ever seen) which we enjoyed and had a good relationship there a beach restaurant who even used to buy our children presents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Or in the case of Phuket, just say "no thanks" and travel somewhere where you get better value for your tourism money.

I used to frequent Phuket all the time until I had enough, so Hua Hin is my flavor now, albeit it I also liked Chang Mai.

• Like 1

If you was to come to Phuket I would say Rawai still local prices and local markets still fairly busy in the area as lots of farang live here 50 baht for a glass of tiger not to sad, drove to see some friends in Karon last night it's like a ghost town so many places closed down, the food festival was reasonably busy we had a walk around and gave some support bought loads of food,

My friends got a good deal in a hotel there 2 bedroom apartment style only 4 cars in the car park the place looks empty no restaurant open or a coffee shop how can they spend their 900 baht voucher?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If you was to come to Phuket I would say Rawai still local prices and local markets still fairly busy in the area as lots of farang live here 50 baht for a glass of tiger not to sad, drove to see some friends in Karon last night it's like a ghost town so many places closed down, the food festival was reasonably busy we had a walk around and gave some support bought loads of food,

My friends got a good deal in a hotel there 2 bedroom apartment style only 4 cars in the car park the place looks empty no restaurant open or a coffee shop how can they spend their 900 baht voucher?  

I wonder why people always refer to the price of beer, is this a standard ?