Triglycerides

Badrabbit

Recently had a blood test which has shown my Tryglycerides at 331, normal is 150, very high 500, I dont understand why mine is high, I exercise 1 hr per day a lot of the time 2 hrs per day fast walking, I'm 89kgs 190cm height, 64 yrs old, should I be concerned and make a big effort to reduce this, do some people have high Triglycerides which is never a problem or is it a problem to be concerned about? 

There's still a good deal of disagreement worldwide on this topic. A doctor would almost certainly recommend you start taking statins, others might say such a cure is worse than the problem. It's a fact that lipids are necessary to your health and that the body itself manufactures them, clearly to excess in some cases. Modern medicine tends to take a one-size-fits-all approach to 'elevated levels', which themselves are sometimes revised as research progresses. Reading 'information' on the Internet only serves to confuse with conflicting opinion, but most researchers would agree that the causes of raised levels are complex, involving perhaps environment, lifestyle, diet and hereditary factors, among others, and that modifying said factors will, over time, help to bring your three types of lipid more into healthy balance.

• Like 1

As already said cut all refined carbohydrates and Triglycerides will drop like a stone.

As opposed to HDL/LDL which fluctuate much more slowly, Triglycerides levels can vary quite a lot in a single day. 3-4 days on a zero to low carb/high saturated fat diet might well halve a score of 331. Of course it will go right back up again if you resume the carbs.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

where did you have the test? I had one a couple of years ago in bkk that had a few highs including this. Went home had all the tests again which came up with no problems

Had the test done at Bangkok(Siroji) Phuket, went for PSA blood test the doc did more, PSA 0.441 so all good there, I avoid Sugar and try to a avoid bad fat but food and its contents just baffles me, I will try the one meal a day and see if that helps.

Much matters on the proper fasting period prior to the blood sample being drawn.  Some medical workers will tell you this is not important.  

Also it seems to matter what you eat the day before.  I was once cautioned about high cholesterol in my younger days.  Before doing the test they told me that what I eat the day before the test doesn't matter, as the test looks at "the big picture."  Ok, so the day before I supped at KFC.  The doctors were worried about the  numbers, and I convinced them to do the test again.  Two weeks later with my normal eating routine and the numbers were relatively good.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Also high doses of fish oil (2 or 3x) label dosages will also lower triglycerides

There is some controversy about the efficacy of fish oil. It is also a triglyceride, the difference being in the omega-3 fatty acid moiety. While there's plenty of stuff on Google with claims, the more authoritative sources have divided opinions.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS014067361060445X/fulltext

High triglyceridea are indeed a risk.

What were the rest of the  lipid panel (HDL, LDL) and your fasting glucose or Hb1Ac?

And when did you last have your triglycerides measured, with what results?

Do you smoke?

There is a fairly common genetic condition that leads to elevated trigs but usually the LDL would also be high.

If HDL, LDL and glucose were all normal, you don't smoke and prior trig levels were also normal then the first thing I would do is repeat the test at a different lab (such as https://www.andalab.net/health_check_up/programs/)  Lab errors are not unknown.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

High triglyceridea are indeed a risk.

What were the rest of the  lipid panel (HDL, LDL) and your fasting glucose or Hb1Ac?

And when did you last have your triglycerides measured, with what results?

Do you smoke?

There is a fairly common genetic condition that leads to elevated trigs but usually the LDL would also be high.

If HDL, LDL and glucose were all normal, you don't smoke and prior trig levels were also normal then the first thing I would do is repeat the test at a different lab (such as https://www.andalab.net/health_check_up/programs/)  Lab errors are not unknown.

LDL Cholesterol s1 unit 3

Cholesterol 214

Cholesterol s1 unit 5.5

Triglyceride 325

HDL CHolesterol 38

HDL Cholesterol s1 0.98

LDL Cholesterol 110

Triglycerides s1 unit 4

Glucose 

Glucose fastingxs1 unit 5.38

Glucose fasting 97

I dont smoke.

Test done 2 yrs ago thing triglyc was about 303

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There is some controversy about the efficacy of fish oil. It is also a triglyceride, the difference being in the omega-3 fatty acid moiety. While there's plenty of stuff on Google with claims, the more authoritative sources have divided opinions.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS014067361060445X/fulltext

I've actually done it successfully at one point. Dropped trigs like a rock. I didn't continue only because it made me burp with fish breath. When I stopped trigs elevated again. But dietary changes fixed that.

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

I'm no doc, how on earth do you manage to get 45, do you eat virtually nothing? 

From my 14 April 2020 blood tests:

1 Glucose              Plasma                        103 a little high (pre-diabetic)
2 Cholesterol         Serum                         110                 
3 Triglyceride         Serum                          45 a little low ?
4 HDL.C                Serum                           57
5 LDL-C (Direct)     Serum                           42
6 Serum lron         Serum                           137 
7 TIBC                   Serum                          309
I Transferrin Saturation Serum                      44 
9 ferritin                      Serum                     300.2

It might have to do with eating clean, exercising and taking statins after having a stent put in when I suffered a heart attack 12 years back ????

5 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I avoid Sugar and try to a avoid bad fat but food and its contents just baffles me, I will try the one meal a day and see if that helps.

If I can suggest you look at Dr Berg's video's on Youtube, he has a world of knowledge and explains things so clear and easy to understand.

The one meal a day and intermitting fasting will help, but wouldn't take it on until you ease yourself into his video's (Keto Diet) first.

I am not on Keto, but do some intermitting fasting in the mornings, but listening to what foods to avoid and what to eat does help, but the carbs refined processed foods are killing us.

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

LDL Cholesterol s1 unit 3

Cholesterol 214

Cholesterol s1 unit 5.5

Triglyceride 325

HDL CHolesterol 38

HDL Cholesterol s1 0.98

LDL Cholesterol 110

Triglycerides s1 unit 4

Glucose 

Glucose fastingxs1 unit 5.38

Glucose fasting 97

I dont smoke.

Test done 2 yrs ago thing triglyc was about 303

OK so your triglycerides have  been high for a while.

Your LDL is also elevated and your HDL  is too low. 

While you may have a genetic predisposition towards dyslipidemia, I  don't think your diet can be that healthy given these numbers. You can redress this by:

Eating more fish, especially oily fish like mackeral and tuna

Taking fish oil supplements 

Avoiding processed foods of all types (very important!)

Eating more whole grains, beans and legumes, and nuts

Consuming more fiber -- oatmeal is very good as of course are fresh vegetables and fruits

I would try these measures first for a few months and repeat the labs. If still elevated trig and LDL might have to consider meds but try diet first.

No need to limit to one meal a day especially since you are not overweight to begin with, and a shift towards the foods mentioned (and away form any processed foods) will likely reduce your caloric intake a bit anyhow