Monsoon extends sway over most parts of Thailand

rooster59

Monsoon extends sway over most parts of Thailand

By The Nation

800_35e8abf19ed8dd2.png

Credit: Meteorological Department

More showers are forecast for most of the country with isolated heavy rain in the Northeast, the East and the South, the Thailand Meteorological Department said on Sunday.

The monsoon trough moves down to lie across the North and the Northeast to the low cell over the middle South China Sea. The southwest monsoon prevailing across the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf is strengthening, the department said.

From September 27-29, the monsoon trough will move down to lie across the lower North, the Central and the Northeast while the low cell over the South China Sea will follow the monsoon trough to the East, the lower Central and the upper Gulf. The southwest monsoon prevailing over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf will strengthen. Winds and waves in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand will strengthen, with waves rising about two metres high in the Andaman Sea, 1-2 metres high in the Gulf of Thailand and above two metres in thundershower areas, the department forecast.

The weather forecast for different parts of the country:

Bangkok: Cloudy with scattered thundershowers; minimum temperature 26-27 degrees Celsius, maximum temperature 33-36°C; southwesterly winds 10-25kph.

North: Cloudy with scattered thundershowers mostly in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Phayao, Phrae, Nan and Tak provinces; minimum temperature 24-26°C, maximum 32-35°C; southwesterly winds 10-20kph.

Northeast: Cloudy with scattered thundershowers and isolated heavy rains in Mukdahan, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces; minimum temperature 24-26°C, maximum 32-34°C; southwesterly winds 10-20kph.

Central: Partly cloudy with isolated thundershowers mostly in Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Nakhon Sawan, Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi provinces; minimum temperature 24-25°C, maximum 34-36°C; southwesterly winds 10-25kph.

East: Cloudy with scattered thundershowers and isolated heavy rains in Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat provinces; minimum temperature 24-26°C, maximum 32-34°C; southwesterly winds 15-30kph; waves about a metre high and 1-2 metres high during thundershowers.

South (east coast): Cloudy with scattered thundershowers mostly in Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat provinces; minimum temperature 23-26°C, maximum 33-34°C; southwesterly winds 15-30kph; waves about a metre high and 1-2 metres in thundershowers.

South (west coast): Cloudy with scattered thundershowers and isolated heavy rains in Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun provinces; minimum temperature 23-24°C, maximum 32-33°C; southwesterly winds 15-30kph; waves about a metre high and 1-2 metres high during thundershowers.

Seven days forecast:

From September 27 to October 2, the monsoon trough will shift to lie across the lower North, the Central and the Northeast, while the low cell over the South China Sea will follow the monsoon trough to the East, the lower Central and the upper Gulf. The southwest monsoon prevailing over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf will strengthen. More rain is expected over Thailand with isolated heavy to very heavy rain. Winds and waves in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand will strengthen -- about two metres high in the Andaman Sea, 1-2 metres high in the Gulf of Thailand and above two metres in thundershower areas.

People in the risky areas should beware of the severe conditions, the department said, also advising all ships in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand to proceed with caution and avoid thundershowers.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395186

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-27

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I would  prefer a return to what used to be reasonably  standard pattern

I agree to that. Rain now is 2 months too late to do any good on the rice farms in lower Isaan. If it was not flooded after the initial typhoon, it's worth less than grass now. That said, if I can get my ponds full I recon I'm gonna stock it with mudfish.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

More showers are forecast for most of the country with isolated heavy rain in the Northeast, the East and the South, the Thailand Meteorological Department said on Sunday

Only Friday we were told that the rain would ease?

• Haha 1

The national park to our North,  name is Thung Salaeng  Luang, has a storm going through at the mo...but all we are getting are a few drops of water.  The weather patterns around Here are definitely changing.

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Only Friday we were told that the rain would ease?

They never started here west of Udon Thani! the local medium sized reservoir has half the amount of water in it as it had at the beginning of the "rainy" season! ???? 

Whatever the reason, be it grand solar minimum or someone forgot to turn on the tap, the weather patterns are changing, but I guess they always have! 

• Like 2

Northeast: Cloudy with scattered thundershowers and isolated heavy rains in Mukdahan, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces; minimum temperature 24-26°C, maximum 32-34°C; southwesterly winds 10-20kph.

There's some thunder and light rain last night and I thought it would start. 

But the sun shines bright today. 

No flood, please. Too many people are already below the existence minimum without any chances for a better life. 

And a devastating flood could take all away from people who already lost a lot to COVID 19. 

Have you tried to reach your place by boat before, when all furniture, TV and other applications were destroyed? 

That's a quite nasty experience nobody should go through after China gave us such a nice virus. 

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Bring it on too dam hot in Suk.

Not long and it will be too cold? Imagine you'd be somewhere in Europe now with 10 degrees Celsius, or less. Isn't it much better to be able to sit outside all year long?

And riding your bike whenever you want to  ????

Just now, madmitch said:

Phuket's had a lot of rain in September and high winds. Lost the remaining part of my guttering last night after the first part was blown off by a storm last week.

Fee sorry for the tourists......oh!

Soon there'll be thousands of very wealthy tourists who leave huge tips. The new visa will do the trick. Maybe not. 

20 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

No flood, please. Too many people are already below the existence minimum without any chances for a better life.

Feast or famine? Thailand has been that way for quite a while now, deforestation ended up with people living on land that was never meant to be lived on or farmed.

Without the floods there will be major droughts this year, life's never been idyllic for the poor folks in Thailand, imagine what life was like before they had land, which really isn't that long ago for many!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

Not long and it will be too cold? Imagine you'd be somewhere in Europe now with 10 degrees Celsius, or less. Isn't it much better to be able to sit outside all year long?

And riding your bike whenever you want to  ????

Never gets cold in Suk these days maybe some cold nights around November, December, January, just less work for air-con. 

A day like today this morning is good for a ride out, I can wear my proper clothing it's very overcast, rain over night so cooler. 

Yesterday was 38 but in the sun more like 48. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

It's either too dry, or too wet. But I still prefer the climate here to any other in Europe, or the UK with the nasty rain. 

I have 2 x 3,000 litre stainless steel water tanks that were last filled in the wet season. One is almost empty and we managed to put about 750 to 1,000 litres.

Here in rural Kampheang Phet by the Mae Wong national park we have not had much rain this year. We were supposed to have had a very heavy storm last night, we got enough to make the concrete wet in places. The Thai weather report suggests a 60%   chance of  thunder storm on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and a 40% chance for the rest of the week.