Waterfront Condo, the End?

TaaSaparot

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

A shame to see it demolished when it's 75% complete. Rather than banging their heads against each other like a pair of buffaloes, can't the City and the developer reach some sort of compromise? It might be breaking the law as it stands, but so are quite a few other buildings in Pattaya (e.g. VT7, the Adriatic Palace hotel, not to mention the entire western side of Walking Street).

Totally agree.  I'd rather see some of the top floors taken off as a compromise and the project finished. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

If I recall correctly, I believe the developers had been previously ordered to remove the top 20 floors as what they built was not what they told the city they were going to do. 

No, the developer OFFERED to remove floors to get permission to finish the building.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sncoem said:

This article seems to miss the main sticking points.

If I remember correctly:

The building should not be more than 60 metres, where it is 90 metres.

Part of the land it is built on, overlaps onto public land.

Plans originally was for a 315 room Condo, but this was then changed to 300 room Condo and 100 room hotel.

The number of parking spaces in the original design was reduced.

The others?

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

No, the developer OFFERED to remove floors to get permission to finish the building.

Actually you are both wrong. Developer did not offer any concessions, but was told to take off 8 floors of the tall tower, and convert 2-3 floors of the hotel into more parking.  It was at this time that officialdom took over and also Kobi E and Jason P divested their interests in the project and it was the up to the money man who actually resided in London. Since then silence from both sides, until a whimper now.

That is a quick overview, as this story, with all its twists and turns would take ages to explain, and of course it's not over yet.

Its hilarious that any one could ever bring up any land use issues with the Waterfront when just blocks away the huge and ugly green turd parking garage was built on Pattayas only park with barely a whimper of protest and no investigation into that shady project.....

If the Waterfront was knocked down then the blue parking lot could be extended to make it larger........LOL..........People could admire and be proud of that addition to the blue parking lot for many many decades to come.......LOL.......  

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

There is a massive huge pile of money to be made from finishing this project......Especially considering almost certainly all the old debts and old investors would be kicked to the curb and all the units re-sold......

Anybody with half a brain could see this...... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

There is a massive huge pile of money to be made from finishing this project......Especially considering almost certainly all the old debts and old investors would be kicked to the curb and all the units re-sold......

Anybody with half a brain could see this...... 

But it is illegal and breaks planning regulations. Not to mention spoiling the Admiral's view.

20 hours ago, newnative said:

Easily remedied by knocking off the top dozen floors or so. 

That was actually an option before. Supposedly the contractor/developer "added" 20 floors to the plan that had been approved previously. If I recall, at one point they were told (by the city) to remove those extra floors but didn't bother complying. As a result, work was halted on the project. (Probably so the people who'd been collecting money from "pre sales" wouldn't have to spend any more of it if the project was cancelled. Why risk walking away with a profit ?)

But there's all sorts of shenanigans going on with that whole project from the initial approvals to the construction halt. Like how they are encroaching on "public land" by building within 100 meters of the (ocean) waterline.
Except that they, and the city, got around that law by pretending they were going to extend Bali Hai further out, which would have moved the waterline out far enough for the building to be exempt.
Then, once everything was approved, that expansion project was cancelled.

Lots of lawsuits going on at the moment between the different parties (city, project owners, people who prepaid for condos, etc).

Which is probably why the city hasn't gone ahead with the planned demolition though they tendered the contract quite awhile ago.

I'm still expecting we'll get a really good storm one day that will end up toppling that structure. Could be a catastrophe depending on which way it falls.

12 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

That was actually an option before. Supposedly the contractor/developer "added" 20 floors to the plan that had been approved previously. If I recall, at one point they were told (by the city) to remove those extra floors but didn't bother complying. As a result, work was halted on the project. (Probably so the people who'd been collecting money from "pre sales" wouldn't have to spend any more of it if the project was cancelled. Why risk walking away with a profit ?)

But there's all sorts of shenanigans going on with that whole project from the initial approvals to the construction halt. Like how they are encroaching on "public land" by building within 100 meters of the (ocean) waterline.
Except that they, and the city, got around that law by pretending they were going to extend Bali Hai further out, which would have moved the waterline out far enough for the building to be exempt.
Then, once everything was approved, that expansion project was cancelled.

Lots of lawsuits going on at the moment between the different parties (city, project owners, people who prepaid for condos, etc).

Which is probably why the city hasn't gone ahead with the planned demolition though they tendered the contract quite awhile ago.

I'm still expecting we'll get a really good storm one day that will end up toppling that structure. Could be a catastrophe depending on which way it falls.

All sorts of reasons have been given for the construction halt but the developer adding an extra 20 floors to the design is incorrect.   From Day 1, even before construction started, the building looked, in artist renderings, billboards, and website illustrations,  the way it turned out.  Basically, a lower-case backwards 'h'.   

Anyone here at that time likely remembers the billboards advertising the project, pre-construction and during construction.  Had an extra 20 stories been tacked on, the building would have ended up looking quite different and there would have been an intervention long before the actual protests occurred when the building topped out.  

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Despite what all the 911 conspiracy people say, and from what I saw of that one in Miami, I am betting straight down! I wish they would just get on with it, where are we now, 9 years on? It is  horrible eyesore.

1261394144_20210627_1134001.thumb.jpg.796311ed838d29db20ac562394e9c28a.jpg

On 9/27/2020 at 5:10 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I guess the people who did Thailand mistake no.1 I.e. buy off plan have never seen their money again

A client of my wifes ,purchased one of the most expensive ones in the begining ,never seen a penny .luckily she was very rich