Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Language Translator


Recommended Posts

I was watching this TV program "90 day Fiancé"...yer I know , I hate to admit to watching something like that. I watched an episode about an American girl gets married , has a kid to a S Korean guy, they live in Korea, she doesn't speak any Korean & his English is woeful. but they both have these hand held language translators, not like the usual Iphone type where you can only do a limited amount. but 3-4 long sentences at a time--they were having an argument about him having his bank account in his parents name ---he was trying to explain this is not unusual in Korea.  I was very impressed with how quickly the translator worked in a clear tone . They were shouting and  arguing and the machine's (had one each) never missed a beat, and,  I could only tell from the English side but it never came like a Google type translation.

I looked on Lazada and they can go for up to 20K baht, but I don't know what I am looking at. I have to do some extension work, and I am in general interested in buying one, if their as good as that.

 

Has any had experience with them or can recommend one brand above the others. I do not want to put an App on a phone etc after seeing how good these were.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I came across a young Bkk taxi driver a while back who had set up google translate (both written and voice) on an iPad.   As soon as I got in his cab he handed me the ipad and said politely 

Next time something like this happens, please use the report function to alert online mods to the issue.   I just happened to stumble over this topic by chance.   Topic moved to IT

...ya know, you could just post a YouTube link to an episode to give people an idea of what you saw and are looking for.   And a simple google search reveals what people think of their trans

Posted Images

I have a written and spoken language translater download on my mobile phone my Mrs said it translates Thai from English very good. 

I just google a translator download and pick it, from a few its been very handy when my Mrs ain't about. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanks Kawasaki-- I have an IPhone have tried a few Apps...but not so happy with it after seeing these other ones working Just 2 buttons over 100 languages,

 

and ones I am looking at now  77 dialects like Issan etc , its just the speed of them, it really was more of a conversation more then. The Apps are fine they get it right etc.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I have a written and spoken language translater download on my mobile phone my Mrs said it translates Thai from English very good. 

I just google a translator download and pick it, from a few its been very handy when my Mrs ain't about. 

is it an off line translator

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

were they on line or off line, maybe going back to the end of the show, where they show the credits, there could be a mention of some supplier or device name, did you try to access the show website, usually they advertise these type of stuff, keeps us posted, it sounds interesting

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

did you try to access the show website, usually they advertise these type of stuff

I will try but that show was over 3 years old so  take the model is available or better now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I will try but that show was over 3 years old so  take the model is available or better now.

worth to give it a try.... just a last minute thought, could it be a South Korean device

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

worth to give it a try.... just a last minute thought, could it be a South Korean device

Could be ...but I think if is--they would still market it around the world

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

The model looked a lot like this one......

 

X-F Portable AI Intelligent Translation Machine Real-Time

Translator with Camera 106 Languages for Travel Business Negotiation

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/x-fai106-i1615146922-s4425790795.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.39.36e2e443CbWX1d&search=1

the site doesn't load the pictures

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, its a Lazada site, has the Magnifier glass for the close ups etc......I have taken the name , now doing a search on different sites as theirs no response from buyers for that item on that site

Link to post
Share on other sites

Machine Translators are not humans and will never be as intelligent as an expert.

 

I have seen many machine translators translating wrong sentences. Language is complex and need a human to correctly translate.

 

It might translate 30% correctly if you speak slowly but will never replace a human.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Yes, its a Lazada site, has the Magnifier glass for the close ups etc......I have taken the name , now doing a search on different sites as theirs no response from buyers for that item on that site

maybe made in China, if so, am afraid the manual not easy to read, keep us posted, thanks

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EricTh said:

It might translate 30% correctly if you speak slowly.

Amazon is saying 98%.......... may an exaggeration but I would think someone in the States would say something if that's way out, for what your paying for.......looking up about them (Translators) there has been a vast improvement in the last 3 years.

 

 these 2 on the TV program were doing anything but speaking slowly, at one time both translators going at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

Amazon is saying 98%.......... may an exaggeration but I would think someone in the States would say something if that's way out, for what your paying for.......looking up about them (Translators) there has been a vast improvement in the last 3 years.

 

 these 2 on the TV program were doing anything but speaking slowly, at one time both translators going at the same time.

 

That's not what I discovered, a Thai person used a machine translator to communicate with me in Thai and most of the translations were gibberish.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

maybe made in China, if so, am afraid the manual not easy to read, keep us posted, thanks

Yer will do....but remember its not all junk from China...if their selling to Amazon, then I expect the same level as their selling to Apple.

 

  • It is with bi-directional translation, you will recognize what you said and speak the result of the translation aloud, it is 98% accurate for both simple sentences and complicated sentences.
  • Translation response speed of 0.1 seconds.
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't know if it is this one from Amazon    --but it looks the same as the TV program

https://www.amazon.com/Translator-Intelligent-Translation-Negotiation-Electronic/dp/B086SXLNZV

I saw this one being used by a couple of travelers on a travel show or something in that order, it was impressive but couldn't find the details, great job, thks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EricTh said:

That's not what I discovered, a Thai person used a machine translator to communicate with me in Thai and most of the translations were gibberish.

That is the feed back I want EricTH, that's why I have gone to an English site...looking at the feed back now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

That is the feed back I want EricTH, that's why I have gone to an English site...looking at the feed back now.

maybe @EricTh he's not incorrect, would be a little concerned mostly using it with asian languages where by they speak by tonality and their words sometimes sound the same but have completely different meanings... but you originally mention it being used by SK vs English and sounded good, maybe some additional research needed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are multiple different devices available on the market now. A big surge over the last couple of years. They are advertized everywhere, including I think on ThaiVisa.

 

If available in shops/department stores, the obvious thing would be to try one out before buying ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

If available in shops/department stores, the obvious thing would be to try one out before buying ...

Yes that would be a plan mfd101....if I didn't live in Nakon Nowhere..................:w00t:

 

I usually go to BKK about twice a year, just want to narrow the choices down.

 

 

Edited by sanuk711
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...