Language Translator

9 minutes ago, Toany said:

The Thai language is very difficult to translate even for bilingual Thais.  Any program is going to struggle.  Google translate often come out with Gibberish

Agreed. Many people think that machine translators is as good as professional human translators which is a misconception.

It's good for simple Thai and simple English such as 'I want to go to', 'turn left', 'how much is this' etc

but not higher intermediate or advanced Thai or even informal words.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I came across a young Bkk taxi driver a while back who had set up google translate (both written and voice) on an iPad.   As soon as I got in his cab he handed me the ipad and said politely 

Next time something like this happens, please use the report function to alert online mods to the issue.   I just happened to stumble over this topic by chance.   Topic moved to IT

...ya know, you could just post a YouTube link to an episode to give people an idea of what you saw and are looking for.   And a simple google search reveals what people think of their trans

Posted Images

55555  indeed !

So much has to do with how you phrase your sentence. I probably should have said "ThaiVisa is a great forum, is it not ?" and that might have come out better.

Friend of mine is making some t-shirts and he translated Pattaya Trip 2020 into English, which came out "Trip Pattaya 2020" because of course, in Thai (like many other languages) they put the "cart before the horse" so the order of the words comes out wrong in English.

Like how in Thai you'd say "nam sohm" (water orange) but in English you say "orange juice".

That is an issue I have quite often when using Google Translate to go from English to Thai. I end up rewriting the English words/sentences, checking the (usually 2) Thai translations offered, then either selecting one of those or going back and rewriting the English part again until I get something resembling what I'm aiming for. Then I'll copy the Thai translation and insert it into the Google Translate (Thai to English) I have open in a 2nd window and see what it comes out like.

Which, often as not, is not the same for some reason as what it said in the other window. Then I have to go back and rewrite the English bit again, trying different words or phrasing the sentence differently (like I mentioned at the top).

Tonal languages are difficult enough and then you have English which not only borrows heavily from other languages, but breaks it's own rules almost as often as it follows them. Makes life difficult for anyone trying to make a decent translation device I'd say.
(Or, "I would say that might make life difficult for those trying to create an effective device for translating foreign languages.")

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

you saw it on the show, it translate parts

check google translate... english to thai is ok

thai to whatever language = GARBAGE nonsense

90days, good fun, full of narcissists and crazy americans overweight, old, thinking some young whatever loves them ...

On 9/27/2020 at 3:27 PM, Kwasaki said:

I have a written and spoken language translater download on my mobile phone my Mrs said it translates Thai from English very good. 

I

well what is it .. ? 

• Like 1
On 9/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, Mavideol said:

yes, very similar to Chinese/Japanese.....

I lived in S Korea for some time. Spoken language is not tonal and not too difficult to learn for westerners. Written Korean is another matter, very difficult. 

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

you saw it on the show, it translate parts

check google translate... english to thai is ok

thai to whatever language = GARBAGE nonsense

90days, good fun, full of narcissists and crazy americans overweight, old, thinking some young whatever loves them ...

Bender--You saw in one of the shows it translating Thai to English ???????????????????

can you gives us a link....because the only one I saw was the Korean episode

Thanks

I've been using Google translate and the translation available in the Line app extensively over the part few days. One of them translated Phuket as leprechaun.

4 hours ago, ifmu said:

well what is it .. ? 

I have explained already, I went on Google Search on my mobile phone  for translator English to Thai.

There were a few this one was the best as far as I know. 

When sending to my home screen it just says free Thai/English translator with a Thai flag and an UK flag. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I have explained already, I went on Google Search on my mobile phone  for translator English to Thai.

There were a few this one was the best as far as I know. 

When sending to my home screen it just says free Thai/English translator with a Thai flag and an UK flag. 

I brought one...Translator, I am finding it great and far exceeds any phone add-ons (I have IPhone and android ) or comp, that I have tried using. At the moment I am snowed under with work stuff for Oz but will write a review soon as poss.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RichCor said:

...maybe you can find the exact one by clicking on this search link of the google play store, then tell us

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=free thai english translator&c=apps

OK I'll try but as I explained to Kan win I'm not very understanding of how to use mobiles.

I did a Google Search if I can do it don't see see why other can't. 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I brought one...Translator, I am finding it great and far exceeds any phone add-ons (I have IPhone and android ) or comp, that I have tried using. At the moment I am snowed under with work stuff for Oz but will write a review soon as poss.

Well my phone is an android and mine translator app I thing it's called works great for me, don't want a pay.  

• Thanks 1