Re-entry stamp on volunteer visa

I am a US citizen in Thailand (Pattaya) switching to a volunteer visa soon. I will need to go to the US next year for 2 weeks or so. I plan to get a re-entry stamp before I leave Thailand.

I know that I will need the following:

- Book a 14 day stay in a state approvaed quarantine hotel in Bangkok.

Questions:

1. Are there any extra things I need to take care of before returning to Thailand? pre-flight tests, or anything else?

2. Another concern i have is if the re-entry stamp may be denied up front, or challenged upon re-entry, due to my status as a citizen of a (likely to be classified) high risk nation for Covid infections.

Thanks

• Haha 1

Does the organization for which you volunteer provide a work permit? Not sure if a work permit would make you eligible for a COE, but without a work permit volunteers are currently not eligible. Nobody can tell how the situation is next year.

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

I didn't get a work permit with my volunteer visa.

My agent checked and found out himself, that immigration is indeed giving the re-entry stamps to make money, but on their own the stamps aren't enough to get back into the country. He also said the US is likely to be blacklisted shortly.

So I will not be making any trips this next year. Oh well.

• Confused 1

I think you are being given false info. For them to not honor re-entry permits would require a formal order from a high level of immigration and I have seen nothing about one. The officers on entry could ask for a letter from the organization that supported the issuance of volunteer visa and extensions stating you are working with them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I didn't get a work permit with my volunteer visa.

My agent checked and found out himself, that immigration is indeed giving the re-entry stamps to make money, but on their own the stamps aren't enough to get back into the country. He also said the US is likely to be blacklisted shortly.

Do you specifically mean that you currently wouldn't be able to get a CoE based upon volunteering without a work permit? That's probably true, but not quite the same as immigration failing to honor the re-entry permit when attempting to enter the country.

On 9/29/2020 at 7:53 AM, Caldera said:

Do you specifically mean that you currently wouldn't be able to get a CoE based upon volunteering without a work permit? That's probably true, but not quite the same as immigration failing to honor the re-entry permit when attempting to enter the country.

I will go ahead and quote the relevant part of our Line conversation. I do not endorse the following, it is only the information I was given:

On this page: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

It says this: *Currently, the following types of visas are NOT permitted to enter Thailand: Tourists visa holders (TR) ...Volunteers (O)*

Does this mean the volunteer visa holder can not get back into thailand even with a re-entry stamp?

Read

5:36 PM

I try to figure it out

7:37 PM

thanks

Read

7:40 PM

9. 28 (Mon)
Yes, I think you are right

2:52 PM

but immigration continues to put Re-Entry stamp ))))

just to earn some more money

but I see it's useless

USA in black list

2:53 PM

untill COVID stops...
i figured it would be hard during covid

Read

2:53 PM

yep

2:54 PM

i guess i can not leave the country then

Read

if you could then it would be better

to risky to return home

On a second read, this may not be coming from his immigration contact. I think he may have just read the embassy page I linked and arrived at his conclusion.

It's enough of a concern for me that i will probably just stay in Thailand.

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

It's enough of a concern for me that i will probably just stay in Thailand.

Edited 4 minutes ago by Hal65

You will not be able (currently) to re-enter Thailand. Even if you could make the "list" That does not include your current status.

It comes at significant cost.

BTW the re-enter permit counts for zip. 

I think you are confusing yourself

at the moment no volunteer visa holders are permitted to enter Thailand, that has nothing to do with re entry permits, this the Visa that isn’t letting you back in at the moment.

as soon as volunteer visas are allowed back you can come back using your re entry permit