Toyota Vorsprung Durch Stupidity - USB Mulrimedia Fail

Formaleins

Anyone know how this is supposed to work? On a Hilux I have a media port that connects a USB stick to play WMA or MP3 through the radio, according to Toyota handbook, it can work with 9999 files within 999 Folders. So it can allegedly play lots of songs.

Problem is, despite meeting the file and folder specs with my 128GB USB stick, nothing will ever play as it looks like the stupid machine has to index EVERY file before it will let you play it!

So, I have 9872 tracks, in about 150 folders, and as soon as I switch the player on it goes through every single file (still reading files after 1 hour) to do some sort of indexing, is this normal (I imagine it is) Whoever decided on this system should be taken out at dawn and shot! Is there a workaround?

I have an 8GB stick with maybe 50 tracks and it works instantly, doesn't even come up with the "Reading Files" message.

What is the point of allowing almost 10,000 tracks to be played if it is going to take an eternity to index them? I will probably have sold the car by the time it manages to get the listing. The terrible Kingston USB stick took more than 12 hours to copy the 60GB of data from my PC. progress? Not in my book!

One point, if the thing is left running and allowed to spend eternity indexing the tracks, as long as I leave the USB stick plugged in, is it a one off chore or is it going to do this every time it is powered on?

Edited by Formaleins

13 minutes ago, MaxUhu said:

It is very possible that it's not thr number of files or songs on the USB stick, but the actual size of the USB stick, some USB interfaces don't support over 64GB sticks.. Not sure, but possible 

Thanks, worth a look, but even if this is the case, is the stupid machine going to still rescan every song file each time it powers up?

8 hours ago, MaxUhu said:

It is very possible that it's not thr number of files or songs on the USB stick, but the actual size of the USB stick, some USB interfaces don't support over 64GB sticks.. Not sure, but possible 

It could also be that the USB stick itself has a very slow read/write speed as the OP states it took forever to write a small amount of data. Might be a problem with its file system, data corruption, counterfeit stick, any number of issues. I'd try another better quality drive from a trusted vendor.

I used an 64GB and a 128GB Stick from Sandisk and havent had any problem on my old (2013) and new (2018) Fortuner. They are working in the Girlfriends 2014 Corolla Altis as well.

They are almost full and i never had an indexing message on the screen.

Maybe your files have a Bitrate what your Radio don't support?

I think they support only up to 192kbps.