am i able to apply for a volunteer visa

On 9/27/2020 at 11:07 PM, freesudani said:

The school..... basically they told me i need to get out of Thailand to apply for the ED visa at a thai consulate 

So it had absolutely nothing to do with you being African and everything to do with you having to follow the exact same procedure as every other foreigner?

5 hours ago, Myran said:

So it had absolutely nothing to do with you being African and everything to do with you having to follow the exact same procedure as every other foreigner?

No , other foreigners dont need to exit Thailand  to get an ED visa for a thai school .... atleast Europeans and Americans 

On 9/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, BritTim said:

Who told you? Was it immigration, a school or an agent?

For a volunteer visa, you will almost certainly need to use an agent, if it is possible at all. Ask them.

You will certainly need to prove that either you or an NGO will pay for all your costs in Thailand. 

Maybe a clerical Western institution if you're a member. But remember, foreign missionaries are not really welcome. 

10 hours ago, freesudani said:

No , other foreigners dont need to exit Thailand  to get an ED visa for a thai school .... atleast Europeans and Americans 

I'm European and I've studied at a Thai university and at a Thai language school – for both I had to apply for the initial visa outside of Thailand, and for the language school I had to leave the country once every year to apply for a new visa.

11 minutes ago, Myran said:

I'm European and I've studied at a Thai university and at a Thai language school – for both I had to apply for the initial visa outside of Thailand, and for the language school I had to leave the country once every year to apply for a new visa.

i see  , but i see ads all over facebook and the internet pages claiming that you dont need to leave the country , and when i asked the school  they told me it doesnt apply to certain nationalities , previously , when i was studying at a thai university they told me if i need to renew my ED visa i have to re-apply at the thai consulate at my home country.

1 minute ago, freesudani said:

i see  , but i see ads all over facebook and the internet pages claiming that you dont need to leave the country , and when i asked the school  they told me it doesnt apply to certain nationalities , previously , when i was studying at a thai university they told me if i need to renew my ED visa i have to re-apply at the thai consulate at my home country.

Might have something to do with agents who have contacts at the immigration office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freesudani said:

Well... if it was gonna be done under the table and through contacts  then my nationality shouldnt matter .

I speculate that the reason is that visas and extensions of stay for certain nationalities are automatically reviewed at higher levels in the hierarchy. There are most likely highly connected lawyers that could get you the required conversion visas or extensions of stay through high level officials, but such lawyers are very expensive.

For Western nationalities, there are minimum levels at which applications are scrutinised, but not levels where bribes become astronomical. Also there are many officials at that level, and agents (and sometimes schools independently) can play officials off against each other to keep prices down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, freesudani said:

Well... if it was gonna be done under the table and through contacts  then my nationality shouldnt matter .

You would need your passport for any kind of visa or extension of stay, and your nationally is stated there. 

Do you understand this? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, micmichd said:

You would need your passport for any kind of visa or extension of stay, and your nationally is stated there. 

Do you understand this? 

7 hours ago, freesudani said:

@freesudani You have a lot to learn about how the visa world actually works.   In short, nationality matters in terms of how  different category of visas are obtained, who can obtain them, etc.   G20-"G40" countries are usually no problem.   Yes, a lot of it is economically driven.   But also depends on diplomatic/reciprocal agreements between countries.

as a side note, as I predicted the amnesty will be extended until October 31st (wait for the formal announcement).

Edited by 4evermaat

Did you have to apply at the Thai consulate in Khartoum to get a visa to enter Thailand?

Issue might be that Sudan seems to be on a list of countries that require applicants to apply for Thai visas in the country in which they are residents, which probably makes issuing a visa elsewhere, including onshore, more difficult:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central Africa Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, Congo, Congo DRC, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, India, Iran, Iraq, Kenya, Kosovo, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine, Rwanda, Sao Tome Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Yemen, Zambia and  Zimbabwe.

Edited by bjaz
  • Like 1