Medical expert warns of disaster if govt eases quarantine restrictions for tourists

webfact

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You say it is impossible to have long term issues. 

Would you mind pointing out where? In your mind doesn't count.

I'm saying we don't know and it's still speculative. Sure, even after a bad cold it can take weeks to recover. Our bodies aren't some superhero robots, a heavy hit to the immune system will tax the resources. But we have no idea if there is something permanent or something that lasts for years. We need decades to find that out. Want everyone to be locked up for the rest of their lives? It's a risk humanity will just have to take.

Edited by DrTuner

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Would you mind pointing out where? In your mind doesn't count.

I'm saying we don't know and it's still speculative. Sure, even after a bad cold it can take weeks to recover. Our bodies aren't some superhero robots, a heavy hit to the immune system will tax the resources. But we have no idea if there is something permanent or something that lasts for years. We need decades to find that out. Want everyone to be locked up for the rest of their lives? It's a risk humanity will just have to take.

You stated "It's been about 10 months or so, it's impossible to have had long term issues"

The medical pedagogy of infectious disease is not subject to your interpretation. It is an accepted definition that a problem that is caused by a disease or treatment of a disease is one that continues for months or years after the initial infection or disease resolves. Patients who have cleared their infections after a two-three-four and even six week period are reporting ongoing problems.

If a patient who had a Covid19 infection in February or March or April or May is in September reporting such issues as fatigue or brain fog, or if the blood analysis shows a hypercoagulable state, then yes there is a long term problem.  

For example,  in the USA, the NCAA suspended its football program; Too many young athletes who had been diagnosed with Covid19 or who had reported symptoms of the infection, were presenting with unexpected myocarditis. The conditions were only discovered subsequent to the athletes' medical exams. 

Yes, you are right that there is still a great deal more to learn. Unfortunately, there is enough information now to show that there are ongoing complications that arise due to the infection events to warrant the conclusion that a Covid19 infection can give rise to long term complications/impact/conditions in patients. 

32 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

It is an accepted definition that a problem that is caused by a disease or treatment of a disease is one that continues for months or years after the initial infection or disease resolves. Patients who have cleared their infections after a two-three-four and even six week period are reporting ongoing problems.

Well pardon my ignorance, but I'd also like a link to that definition. My own would be years to lifetime, ie. chronic.

https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/about/index.htm

Chronic diseases are defined broadly as conditions that last 1 year or more and require ongoing medical attention or limit activities of daily living or both. 

And that too varies quite a bit according to source.

The data I'd like to see is the percentage of those that have recovered to baseline health as function of time, from a clinically diagnosed onset of COVID-19. There's too much noise in the data sources I've seen, f.ex. subjective evaluation of symptoms by app users (a lot could be psychosomatic, due to ongoing stress), only using PCR results without clinical verification as a verified COVID-19 case, etc. I know it will eventually be available, but I haven't seen/found it yet. I would also like to see raw PCR positives vs the same outcome, just to compare.

My guess would be, 99% will return to base health, but I've no idea of the distribution in time. Even partial data would show a trend.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2