Medical expert warns of disaster if govt eases quarantine restrictions for tourists

webfact

51 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Don't know about the correctness of the graphs in this link but they have Thailand at 47,000 monthly deaths which is second behind the US.A later graph has 47,000 weekly deaths as well.

but those are expected deaths so nothing has changed from previous year.

6 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

This article is nonsense, show me where Australia add hundreds new cases per day.

Only in Victoria the have a few dozens per day in Western Australia we had not a 

local transmission for months Norther Territory had none for months only a few 

in NSW nothing in SA or Tassie who writes this nonsense?

Big problem. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/25/victoria-stage-4-restrictions-melbourne-lockdown-rules-covid-19-stage-four-metropolitan-metro-explained-what-you-need-to-know

And loons

Edited by Yinn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

This article is nonsense, show me where Australia add hundreds new cases per day.

Only in Victoria the have a few dozens per day in Western Australia we had not a 

Maybe they don't read english.....if they do, then would never read news of Australia

• Like 1

Seeing 2 expats, spouting off to each other, just shows how terrible the English TV

is in Thailand. I liked France 24, Some RT, BBC,  and the Japan station. occasionally

Al Jesera. Fox was something I put on for a laugh.  It is something I do enjoy here

in Canada, where I get 4 Canadian networks, and can watch 4 US channels

besides CNN or Fox.  I feel very lucky..  By the way I agree that 14 days is okay

to quarantine. 10 would be better with a last check on the 14th day. We will

all have to see how things are in November when  high season, begins.

Geezer

• Like 1

Negative test at country of origin. Test at arrival (or doggies doing the work) and max 7 days quarantine (if even that). Anyways, if Thailand does not open up there will be so many businesses closing that there will be riots or total mayhem as people loses their income. These idiots don't see that coming or don't care. I guess it's the latter as they are not responsible to anyone.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/25/finland-using-covid-sniffing-dogs-at-helsinki-airport/
Those doggies have already caught few cases. Dogs could be used in so many was (even detecting cancer etc.) but there is still so much resistance to do so which is unbelievable.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The Chinese would have been sharing the virus with the younger, healthier members of the Thai society. The ones working within the tourist industry. They would have had their 'flu' or their 'cold' and then got on with their jobs with little contact with the more vulnerable members of society.

it's worth noting the low rates in all of SE Asia. It's possible AFAIK they are genetical predisposed to having a mild reaction to the virus, compared to Europeans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, genericptr said:

it's worth noting the low rates in all of SE Asia. It's possible AFAIK they are genetical predisposed to having a mild reaction to the virus, compared to Europeans.

There is also talk that the strain of virus that we encountered in SEA was less virulent than the one that took Europe by storm.

• Like 1

Too many people at TVF do not understand that one can test negative for the infection and still be infected. It takes time for the infection to be detectable. This is why there must be multiple tests to establish the all clear.

The current data shows that negative a test can be followed by a positive test after a period of 5-13 days. The use of 14 days was to ensure a high confidence level in the test results.  10 days is pushing the limit, but recent data suggests it may now be  reliable (better testing methodology.)  

5 hours ago, farang51 said:

Thailand did not have any excess deaths this year; thus, your theory is wrong.

Article in New York Times that says the number of deaths was normal from January to April:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

Another media (I cannot link to that one) said in June that the number of deaths fell 8 percent in the period from October to June compared to the year before.

You are referencing an article in the NYT from April. Thailand has a 2+ month  time delay in releasing data. Your data would have most likely been out of date then and is certainly out of date now.  More importantly, the data from Thailand is not reliable. The NYT acknowledges this in its documentation notes. Have you even read the Bureau of Registration Administration data?   The reality in Asia is that only the data from Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore is reliable.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Do they?  I think many foreigners will remember how they have been treated in Thailand and will give the country a pass in favour of other countries....

Not relevant  now. If someone wishes to relocate to a SE Asia country, where exactly can they go? The  travel shutdowns apply to Vietnam. none of the whingers can afford Singapore, and besides which, they would have to purchase proper clothing. No one is lined up to go to Malaysia, Indonesia nor the Philippines right now. When the world travel corridors resume, people will  be coming back to Thailand in the  tens of millions.

1 hour ago, spacex said:

When you have nothing of substance to post, always a genius to make a personal attack.  Brilliant.

I take it you must fall into the 75+ and older category where you need to worry about having a 95% chance of surviving even if you get covid.  But of course you wouldn't as you are practicing social distancing, wearing a mask and staying locked up.  You'll be fine, keep reading the propoganda.

Harsh.  You are ripping into someone because he is prudent. The issue is not  surviving. It's the cost of surviving. Are you aware that the  disease does have side effects in the young and healthy?  And are you aware that those who are infected require  2-4-8 weeks or more to recover. Have you seen the lungs of some of the infected? What do you think happens when a single mother becomes ill?  Who is there to care for the family? In most countries there is no income replacement, or if there is, the funds are insufficient.  You try and manage a family  where  a parent does a triple shift of  caring for one's own family, working and taking care of elderly parents. You look at this from your own little world of me, myself and I.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The government has clarified that the suggestion by the Minister of Tourism to reduce the quarantine period for tourists entering Thailand to seven days was yet to be considered

The government needs to tell the minister of tourism to stop making suggestions in the public arena until it has been discussed by ministers.

He is an absolute baffoon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Agreed, WA is the safest place in the world. Why? Because we are keeping the borders almost closed, and its worked. Life in Perth is almost normal as before. But Thailand reckons they have no new cases !

• Sad 1

Italy is the country, with 60 mil pop, I follow most closely. For a while the number of daily new cases got down to 200/day with an average of 5 new deaths/day. Now it's close to 2000 new per day with an average of 20 deaths per day. Literally 99% of all new cases are classified as "mild". The chance of an Italian catching it at all (not counting asymptomatic untested) is 1 in 180. The death rate for closed cases which had an outcome, however, and probably due to the initial virulence, has been 14%. Almost all older of course. Given this outlook it is understandable that the country is trying to open up. The wild card, as everywhere, is long term effects. Particular to Italy is the way the Conte government has been letting in illegal migrants who are positive, and the full results of that are not yet apparent.

• Like 2

Something to consider, that some other countries are implementing. To be able to travel you would need a Covid test done at least 72 hours before travel. If negative you will get a health certificate and will be able to enter the country without having to go into quarantine. If it happens that you arrive without the necessary certificate you will have to go into 14 day quarantine at your own expense. Obviously there are loopholes and room for corruption, but that is with most things anyway to be honest. There are people that spent there 14 days in quarantine only to test positive a week after they where cleared to enter.    

8 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Australia was mentioned nowhere for Europe for instance he is absolutely right in France only ten of thousands of new cases!