Panel chief calls for reforms to Thai justice system, pointing to serious flaws in prosecuting Vorayuth

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“When 12 - and 13-year-olds march on the streets raising three-finger salutes, and adorn themselves with white ribbons all over Thailand, it shows how corrupt people with power are,” Vicha said.

This guy is in position of responsibility, I wonder what he thinks about people potentially getting jailed for 2 years because they post a negative review on a website

Wonder if anybody with even a minimal degree of intelligence believes this will make Thailand's tourist industry more appealing to the foreign market

Seriously have to question some facets of Thai society... 

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 2

However, he was certain that the Thai legal system was the “strongest”, but the people who applied it were the problem since Thailand has nurtured nepotism for years and it had resulted in a social gap in both the economy and justice.

Anybody who says the the words 'thai legal system' and 'strongest' in the same sentence is <deleted>in deluded, 'nepotism' however fits right in...

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 1

Vicha said that the reason he accepted the responsibility even though he was 74 years old was to initiate reforms in the legal system

My mum used to say if you've nothing nice to say then say nothing at all, my opinion is that's <deleted>...

I was never good with <deleted> advice so I feel it's my duty to point out this guy has enjoyed a whole lifetime of watching/enjoying corruption and personally I feel it's highly unlikely he will change

Reforms? I hope so but doubt it, more of the same hypocrisy, lying, corruption and same old <deleted> different day, on past experience that is guaranteed.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mark131v said:

This guy is in position of responsibility, I wonder what he thinks about people potentially getting jailed for 2 years because they post a negative review on a website

I would not use that example. It is not because 'they post a negative review on a website'.

It is because the guy wrote multiple reviews on multiple sites, many of which were lies. All because the hotel wanted to charge him corkage for bringing his own booze into the dining room.

Look at Richard Barrow's web site for details.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

However, he was certain that the Thai legal system was the “strongest”, but the people who applied it were the problem since Thailand has nurtured nepotism for years and it had resulted in a social gap in both the economy and justice.

The people who applied it are the people with the power, that takes a huge change.

I hope the students keep marching because evidence of a stand against change took place in the senate last week.

• Like 1

the thai justice sytem works great of you have money or are well connected, its the ones that have neither that are screwed by it. The wealthy & well connected love the justice system because they know they will always be able to get away with what they have done whether it is killing people or stealing from them

4 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Contrary to all the previous posters, it seems, I see this statement as a giant step in the right direction.

Yes of course privately Thai people are aware of the corruption and injustice that is part of Thai society, but having it proclaimed very publicly by the chairman of the panel investigating a case that is being followed internationally as well as within Thailand, is an important step and gives hope for the future.

The next step is for other prominent figures within government and Thai society to publicly endorse the findings and then we may see change follow.

And he is so right in pointing out:

He is stating the bleeding obvious, however the difference is he was appointed to this position therefore giving his comments some validity. To those affected in a negative way, they will of course poo-hoo these comments as a load of rubbish, sour-grapes etc., but bear in mind these comments have been made from a point of authority and could in the future be the catalyst for reform, although not in the coming weeks as money and position is still the top priority - but the up-coming generation are a lot smarter than their forefathers and won't tolerate being serfs to the elite for ever. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

He said his 30 years of experience as a prosecutor and judge made him the right choice for the job, and helped him to look into the liars and see the whole picture.

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I wouldn’t be so proud of your experience. That’s just a lot of time of you being complicit in a corrupt system.

Exactly my thoughs rkidlad!

He was part of the currupt and biased system for his half life. Very difficult to have trust in such a man. Hard to imagine in how many biased and unfair sentences he might have been involved in these 30 years of work in this legal system. 

However, on the other side, these are also quite strong words from him pointing in the right direction:

Vicha also blamed the police for not reforming themselves a long time ago since it was an institution with authority.

He gave Hong Kong as an example, which purged corrupt police and insisted that police should not be allowed to continue their outdated tradition.

“When 12 - and 13-year-olds march on the streets raising three-finger salutes, and adorn themselves with white ribbons all over Thailand, it shows how corrupt people with power are,” Vicha said.

He said the movement was very important since the change had to stem from the youth who were the key to a better future.

I don't know this man, and I have no idea if one can trust him in what he says today. 

But I assume that he is not alone in his statements, and that there are some people behind him, backing him in these statements. Others for sure are strongly opposing his statements. I have not the slightest doubt about that. 

All this might be a sign that there are discussions and fights going on in the elite, and powerful people are struggling how to react to the street protests and to the dwindling acceptance of the current political system in Thailand, which could become dangerous for the elite. As I mentioned many times already: The elite in the country is not unified!

I think the idea of his highest bosses now is to accept and to embrace some of the ideas of the opposition in order to appease them. It might be that the most powerful people in the country currently plan to reduce their acceptance of corruption in lower ranks, in order to protect and rescue the existing system as a whole.

And, as I also hinted in other posts before, the spoiled Red Bull brat and his family might not be associated so well to the most powerful faction now. 

For me, the powerful people now try to achieve as much as possible "national unity", and with this to dry out the protests and Move Forward. This case is only one littel piece in the game.

Edited by Flying Saucage