retirement visas in thailand

Im irish(from belfast)and 67 and only left bkk last thursday(sept 24th )for greece were i now am and have been visiting for 23 years(since 1997)

Next time i come to thailand i might try coming on a retirement visa so what do i need to know about minimum finances,etc as i heard there is an option for having only 16,000 thai baht in a thai bank account to qualify

If 16,000 baht in a thai bank account is correct what benefits and rights would this give me in thailand such as length of stay,etc and could i remain in thailand indefinitely thereafter.....my preferred option would be to travel around se asia and return to europre for several weeks at a time at least once a year

Just looked up on a currency converter and 16,000 thai baht is only 435 euro......im worth probably at least 20 time that

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

16,000 baht may buy you a visa agent to do all your visa paperwork.   

You need a "seasoned" 800,000 baht in a Thai bank to get your foot in the door of paradise!

It sounds like he is after a Visa rather than a retirement extension.

If you meet the requirements you can apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country.

Requirements for such application are not difficult, basically

- over 50 years of age

- equivalent of 800K (or 25.000 Euro) on your bank-account (foreign or thai) for 3 months at the moment of application or proof of income of +65.000 THB monthly

- IO-approved health-insurance (easy, if you know how)

- some admin additional requirements

So basically NOT different than applying for the extension of that Visa in Thailand.

But the BIG DIFFERENCE being that the Non Imm O-A Visa will provide you with almost 2 years of IO-hassle free stay in Thailand.  With NO need to park/transfer funds to a thai bank-account and NO need to EVER having to visit an Imm office during those 2 years.

If you return occasionally to your home-country, it's just a matter of applying for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa while over there.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If you meet the requirements you can apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country.

Requirements for such application are not difficult, basically

- over 50 years of age

- equivalent of 800K (or 25.000 Euro) on your bank-account (foreign or thai) for 3 months at the moment of application or proof of income of +65.000 THB monthly

- IO-approved health-insurance (easy, if you know how)

- some admin additional requirements

So basically NOT different than applying for the extension of that Visa in Thailand.

But the BIG DIFFERENCE being that the Non Imm O-A Visa will provide you with almost 2 years of IO-hassle free stay in Thailand.  With NO need to park/transfer funds to a thai bank-account and NO need to EVER having to visit an Imm office during those 2 years.

If you return occasionally to your home-country, it's just a matter of applying for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa while over there.

But after that 2th year the problem get bigger as insurrance needed.....!

The non "o" from Embassy if still availble extended inside Thailand does not require that ( up to now still ...) but problem now as borders closed....( Same as for the non o-a as second year only to squize out by border hop.....)

The non O-A was best for those not having or not wishing to park 800 000 on Thai bank for 5 months a year ....also could so "work with borrowed  money " in home country from example family ....????

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

But after that 2th year the problem get bigger as insurance needed.....!

The non "o" from Embassy if still availble extended inside Thailand does not require that ( up to now still ...) but problem now as borders closed....( Same as for the non o-a as second year only to squize out by border hop.....)

The non O-A was best for those not having or not wishing to park 800 000 on Thai bank for 5 months a year ....also could so "work with borrowed  money " in home country from example family ....????

As I mentioned > If you return occasionally to your home-country, it's just a matter of applying for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa while over there.

If you go visit friends/family in your home-country every 2 years and make use of that opportunity to apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, you will NEVER EVER have to visit a Thai Imm Office or park/transfer money to a thai bank-account.  

And the insurance requirement for the Non Imm O-A Visa application is annoying but in fact quite easy (and not costly) to deal with.

5 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Hard to get a new retirement visa without Thai health insurance and if you are 67 there is probably no Thai health insurance company that will issue a policy at that age.

Cheap and easy (no medical required) Thai IO-approved Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance available till 75 years of age.

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

As I mentioned > If you return occasionally to your home-country, it's just a matter of applying for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa while over there.

If you go visit friends/family in your home-country every 2 years and make use of that opportunity to apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, you will NEVER EVER have to visit a Thai Imm Office or park/transfer money to a thai bank-account.  

And the insurance requirement for the Non Imm O-A Visa application is annoying but in fact quite easy (and not costly) to deal with.

Correct ....,different system different

option .

..ideal for those without 800 000 option on Thai bank ...but also a lot more PAPER hassle on home country EMBASSY 

Different 2 systems....pick your choice ..????

But as long C19 is flying around all this is on a stop or with big hassle to take 

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Also:

If you open a policy before 75 years of age the insurance will be available until 100 .

Dont count on that 100 figure for several reasons ????....as ...also exclusions can appear a sudden  ......company changes etc.

But that counts for all company's ????

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

Correct ....,different system different

option .

..ideal for those without 800 000 option on Thai bank ...but also a lot more PAPER hassle on home country EMBASSY 

Different 2 systems....pick your choice ..????

You are also a Belgian citizen. 

Applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in Brussels is a piece of cake. 

The requirements are laid out clearly on the Embassy website and the Embassy staff is efficient. polite and helpful.

When over 50 years of age, and having the equivalent of 800K on your FOREIGN or Thai bank-account, applying for that Visa is actually a no-brainer, as it will provide you with almost 2-years of IO worry-free stay in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You are also a Belgian citizen. 

Applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in Brussels is a piece of cake. 

The requirements are laid out clearly on the Embassy website and the Embassy staff is efficient. polite and helpful.

When over 50 years of age, and having the equivalent of 800K on your FOREIGN or Thai bank-account, applying for that Visa is actually a no-brainer, as it will provide you with almost 2-years of IO worry-free stay in Thailand.

Same counts for the non "o" with 800k on bank applying on desk 8 Jomtien immigration if all your doc. present and O.K. no need for agent ....done 7 now with  no hassle 

But as said for both if a starter ....the C19 problem now for both

1 hour ago, david555 said:

But after that 2th year the problem get bigger as insurrance needed.....!

The health insurance is needed from day one, not after 2 years. 

52 minutes ago, david555 said:

Same counts for the non "o" with 800k on bank applying on desk 8 Jomtien immigration if all your doc. present and O.K. no need for agent ....done 7 now with  no hassle 

But as said for both if a starter ....the C19 problem now for both

The BIG difference being that when extending your Non Imm O-A Visa in Thailand, is that you need to keep the 800K on your personal thai bank-account.

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy in your home-country you only need to show that you had the equivalent of those funds on a foreign (or thai) bank-account in the 3 months before applying.  So no need to keep them there once you got the Visa.

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The BIG difference being that when extending your Non Imm O-A Visa in Thailand, is that you need to keep the 800K on your personal thai bank-account.

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy in your home-country you only need to show that you had the equivalent of those funds on a foreign (or thai) bank-account in the 3 months before applying.  So no need to keep them there once you got the Visa.

Yes that is a aside advantage ...

As said ideal for those who dont have the 800K in Thaibank or dont like it to be there parked ...

My money is where i live and need it , but understand some are not the whole year present in Thailand who use both those ret. Extensions .

As said before 2 choices ...take your pick for the one is best for choice ...

But not for the present C19 times to use easy 

49 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Big deductible, does not cover preexisting conditions and the other 27 restrictions listed on their website. And max coverage is 660,000.  Looks like a stop gap insurance so someone can qualify for a visa. 

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Cheap and easy (no medical required) Thai IO-approved Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance available till 75 years of age.

just curious  ( i self insure) .............. what is the cost at 70 years old for this insurance

edit......    i see it has been posted     thx

13 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Big deductible, does not cover preexisting conditions and the other 27 restrictions listed on their website. And max coverage is 660,000.  Looks like a stop gap insurance so someone can qualify for a visa. 

Yes , exactly @Rdrokit & @Orton Rd 

The LMG Insurance bought with the largest deductible is clearly only for us poor souls who have been caught with an OA ,or extension of , and , IMHO, is only to be used until travel restrictions are open again and can be converted to an O visa or conversion to an OA for marriage extension can be achieved.

My travel plans in March this year and subsequent conversion to an O visa had to be put on hold due to ...... you know what !!

Think of it as an infuriating addition to your yearly extension ????

As an actual insurance policy is quite worthless !!

12 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

How come that LMG example is so cheap?

my "guess"  is that with the deductible,  exclusions,   change of phone numbers (theirs),   lawyers on retainer,  and possibly having to sing the thai national anthem to be eligible........

the chances of them paying out are slim 

14 minutes ago, rumak said:

my "guess"  is that with the deductible,  exclusions,   change of phone numbers (theirs),   lawyers on retainer,  and possibly having to sing the thai national anthem to be eligible........

the chances of them paying out are slim 

The LMG Insurance Plan 1 policy was never meant to provide adequate coverage in case of accident/illness.  It was created for the sole purpose of meeting the 'insurance requirement' when applying for the 1-year retirement extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa.

Quite smart actually, because all those Non Imm O-A retirement Visa holders already well-covered with foreign/international health-insurance (which is not accepted by IO) were looking for the dead-cheapest 'throw-away' policy that would meet the IO-requirement.  And LMG priced it approx 30-40 % of the 2nd least expensive Non Imm O-A compliant policy, allowing them to capture a large part of this scam insurance requirement market.

Archived