retirement visas in thailand

22 minutes ago, howerde said:

Not in London, i had mine issued this year and they would not accept my Thai pacific cross insurance, and as i said when i picked up my visa they stated that they checked that my policy had been bought viaa tgia

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

I checked the link you provided, and indeed the Thai Embassy in London does not mention that applicants for the Non Imm O-A Visa can make use of a FIC (Foreign Insurance Certificate) when they already have health-insurance that meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient requirements.

The Embassy website just states:

Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

I did take a look whether that is a UK only practice, and that seems to be the case as the website of the Thai Embassy in Brussels still mentions that FIC option.

• The Foreign Insurance Certificate signed by Insurance Company (only the original document is accepted). Download the Certificate here
  • The Original health insurance document (in case of foreign insurance). In case of Thai insurance, the original or copy of the insurance can be accepted.****

However, the TGIA-website (see higher) does provide a link to download the FIC document, so I presume that it is still possible to apply that way in spite of it not being mentioned on the requirements list.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I checked the link you provided, and indeed the Thai Embassy in London does not mention that applicants for the Non Imm O-A Visa can make use of a FIC (Foreign Insurance Certificate) when they already have health-insurance that meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient requirements.

The Embassy website just states:

Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

I did take a look whether that is a UK only practice, and that seems to be the case as the website of the Thai Embassy in Brussels still mentions that FIC option.

• The Foreign Insurance Certificate signed by Insurance Company (only the original document is accepted). Download the Certificate here
  • The Original health insurance document (in case of foreign insurance). In case of Thai insurance, the original or copy of the insurance can be accepted.****

I hope the embassy have changed the requirement, if anyone is applying through London, then it would be worth emailng them as things can change

13 hours ago, howerde said:

For o-a insurance it must come from this site, https://longstay.tgia.org/   just a matter of going through them, when i got mine earlier in the year the embassy pointed out that they checked my policy with insurer

That site also provides a link titled "Download Overseas Insurance Certificate" which supposedly when completed then your foreign insurance can be used the first time.   But getting your foreign insurance company to complete the certificate may be a challenge.

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Now if the insurance you had was from a Thai insurance company but was "not" one of the policies listed/blessed for an OA visa/extension then even a Thai insurance policy would be rejected like the Thai Pacific Insurance policy you mentioned in your other post.

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

That site also provides a link titled "Download Overseas Insurance Certificate" which supposedly when completed then your foreign insurance can be used the first time.   But getting your foreign insurance company to complete the certificate may be a challenge.

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Now if the insurance you had was from a Thai insurance company but was "not" one of the policies listed/blessed for an OA visa/extension then even a Thai insurance policy would be rejected like the Thai Pacific Insurance policy you mentioned in your other post.

Sorry i should have said my Pacific insurance was bought via the tgia website and that is what the embassy said at the time, my origianl policy was Thai, its all pointless now as i am still in UK and never got to use it and will have to buy from the tgia as it will be renewal, my visa is the O-X

11 minutes ago, howerde said:

Sorry i should have said my Pacific insurance was bought via the tgia website and that is what the embassy said at the time, my origianl policy was Thai, its all pointless now as i am still in UK and never got to use it and will have to buy from the tgia as it will be renewal, my visa is the O-X

Yes, use of the Foreign Insurance Certificate is only possible when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  But as holder of a Non Imm O-X Visa you can only make use of the specific O-X approved policies issued by TGIA-associated insurers. 

For some reason or another there are LESS of such insurers approved to issue a Non Imm O-X Visa compliant policy, than for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  Possibly because the Non Imm O-X Visa is quite rare and to meet its financial requirements you need to have real deep pockets.

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, use of the Foreign Insurance Certificate is only possible when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  But as holder of a Non Imm O-X Visa you can only make use of the specific O-X approved policies issued by TGIA-associated insurers. 

For some reason or another there are LESS of such insurers approved to issue a Non Imm O-X Visa compliant policy, than for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  Possibly because the Non Imm O-X Visa is quite rare and to meet its financial requirements you need to have real deep pockets.

Thanks for that, it is all clear now

Hello,

I am confused by retirement visa health insurance.  I am in Thailand on amnesty and will apply for retirement visa this month.

I read this forum pages and see some people say that I can only apply outside country.  But I think it is okay to apply inside Thailand.  And type I should apply for is Non-Immigrant O-A visa type.

May I ask what insurance is okay for this?  Is this LMG Insurance okay for me to buy?  Or is it only okay if I apply at embassy outside of Thailand?  Sorry for my confusion!

On 9/27/2020 at 11:53 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have bank account set up with money for 2 months now so I am okay for that requirement.  Any other requirements I need to fill?

Money - I have

Apartment lease - I have

Insurance - Need to set up

Application forms - any person have link where I can find forms?

Anything else I need to bring with when I apply?

Thank you for your help.  It is very much appreciated!

1 hour ago, cheddarburger said:

I am confused by retirement visa health insurance.  I am in Thailand on amnesty and will apply for retirement visa this month

If you are applying for a extension of stay or a non immigrant visa at immigration insurance is not required.

Insurance is only required when applying for OA long stay visa at a embassy or extending a entry from one at immigration.

Do you already have a 90 day non immigrant category O visa entry that is required to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

1 hour ago, cheddarburger said:

I am confused by retirement visa health insurance.  I am in Thailand on amnesty and will apply for retirement visa this month.

I read this forum pages and see some people say that I can only apply outside country.  But I think it is okay to apply inside Thailand.  And type I should apply for is Non-Immigrant O-A visa type.

May I ask what insurance is okay for this?  Is this LMG Insurance okay for me to buy?  Or is it only okay if I apply at embassy outside of Thailand?  Sorry for my confusion!

I have bank account set up with money for 2 months now so I am okay for that requirement.

Since you are already in Thailand, you cannot apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa because such long-stay Visa can ONLY be obtained at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country.

The Non Imm O-A Visa has a mandatory IO-approved health-insurance requirement, when applying for the Visa abroad or extending it in-country (for reason of retirement).  So that mandatory health-insurance policy will NOT be applicable for you.

You are already in Thailand, but it depends on the Visa (or extension of it) on which you are now which option you have.

- If you entered Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, you would FIRST need to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And in the last month of that 90-day period you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay of that Non Imm O Visa.

- If you entered Thailand on a Non Imm O Visa, you would have to apply directly for the 1-year extension of that Visa.

There are 4 methods that can be used to prove you meet the financial requirements for a Non Imm O Visa application/extension.

The most common one is the Funds-in-Bank method, and using that method for an in-country 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement) application you would need to show that you kept at least 800K THB on a personal Thai bank-account (a joint one is not accepted by IO) at the moment of application.  When applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on a Non Imm O Visa (retirement) you would have to prove that the 800K has been seasoned for at least two months at the moment of application and that you never dipped under that amount during those two months.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document on how to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

A.o. the document outlines the steps in the process you need to follow, and provides additional info of relevance, e.g.

- differences between Non Imm O-A and Non Imm O Visa

- the 4 methods to prove you meet the financial requirements

- proving the foreign origins of the funds transferred

- etc.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2020 at 8:16 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you are applying for a extension of stay or a non immigrant visa at immigration insurance is not required.

Insurance is only required when applying for OA long stay visa at a embassy or extending a entry from one at immigration.

Do you already have a 90 day non immigrant category O visa entry that is required to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, Peter Denis said:

You are already in Thailand, but it depends on the Visa (or extension of it) on which you are now which option you have.

- If you entered Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, you would FIRST need to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And in the last month of that 90-day period you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay of that Non Imm O Visa.

- If you entered Thailand on a Non Imm O Visa, you would have to apply directly for the 1-year extension of that Visa.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, Peter Denis said:

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document on how to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

Thank you ubonjoe and Peter!!!

I think I understand now.  I entered Thailand on Tourist Visa.  I extend it in September and have November 30 stamp.

To confirm, I now need to apply for 90 day non immigrant category O visa.  I do not need bank funds or insurance for this 90 day.

After I get 90 day visa, during the last 30 days I go to apply for extension.  That is when I need the 800,000 bank funds (I transferred money from overseas in August) and the insurance coverage.

Is my understanding correct?

Also, I am in Bangkok so I go to CW.  I look at online booking form and there is not option for Change Visa type.  These are options:

image.png.7c9f32d0847f6de444455afa0bde12fa.png

And the last three options:

image.png.0a10227cc651b97b22e61fb97af136aa.png

Do I pick one of these?  Or maybe I do not need appointment and I just go?  Does anyone know what counter?

A continued thank you for all your help!

9 hours ago, cheddarburger said:

To confirm, I now need to apply for 90 day non immigrant category O visa.  I do not need bank funds or insurance for this 90 day.

The 800k baht must be in the bank on the day you apply for the visa. You also need proof that it came from abroad.

Requirements are here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

The the 800k baht will need to be in he bank for 2 months when you apply for the one year extension of stay.

Insurance is not required for the visa application or the one year extension.

9 hours ago, cheddarburger said:

Also, I am in Bangkok so I go to CW.  I look at online booking form and there is not option for Change Visa type. 

I think you will use the first one on the list.

10 hours ago, cheddarburger said:

After I get 90 day visa, during the last 30 days I go to apply for extension.  That is when I need the 800,000 bank funds (I transferred money from overseas in August) and the insurance coverage.

Is my understanding correct?

Hi Cheddarburger,

UbonJoe already responded and corrected you.

Your understanding is not fully correct.

1 - You WOULD need to have the +800K on your personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And this has to be done when you still have at least 15 days left on your current extended Tourist Visa November 30 permission to stay stamp, which means your ultimate day to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa is next Friday13 November.  But better to do it a couple of days more early in case your application is incomplete.

2 - At the end of the 90-days that 90-day Non Imm O Visa will provide you, you would then need to apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  This can be done from 30 days before till actual permission to stay date granted from that 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  When applying for that 1-year extension of stay the 800K funds need to be seasoned for at least TWO months on your personal Thai bank-account.  That should be no problem at all, just don't slip below the +800K during the period after you got the permission to stay stamp and the day you apply for the 1-year extension.

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht must be in the bank on the day you apply for the visa. You also need proof that it came from abroad.

Requirements are here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

The the 800k baht will need to be in he bank for 2 months when you apply for the one year extension of stay.

Insurance is not required for the visa application or the one year extension.

I think you will use the first one on the list.

Ok, thank you!

Visa in Thailand is very confusing.  There is O visa and there is O-A visa.  O visa does not need insurance.  O-A does need insurance.

Before I always think they are same thing.  Now I understand why Peter's document talk about changing from O-A to O.  Before I do not fully understand and now I do.

Why does someone choose O-A Visa with need for insurance instead of O Visa?  Is O-A Visa better?

I try to understand difference between the two:

O Visa

• 90 day initial stay
  • Extension for 1 year
  • 90 day reports
  • No insurance needed
  • Money needed when apply for visa.  2 month rule by time apply for 1 year extension

O-A Visa

• Initial stay 1 year
  • Insurance needed
  • Can apply for 1 year extension
  • No bank money needed until apply for first 1 year extension (after 1 year initial stay)

Can O Visa can be renewed every year?  Or is just 1 15 months total, then need to leave Thailand and come back on new Visa?

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Cheddarburger,

UbonJoe already responded and corrected you.

Your understanding is not fully correct.

1 - You WOULD need to have the +800K on your personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And this has to be done when you still have at least 15 days left on your current extended Tourist Visa November 30 permission to stay stamp, which means your ultimate day to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa is next Friday13 November.  But better to do it a couple of days more early in case your application is incomplete.

2 - At the end of the 90-days that 90-day Non Imm O Visa will provide you, you would then need to apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  This can be done from 30 days before till actual permission to stay date granted from that 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  When applying for that 1-year extension of stay the 800K funds need to be seasoned for at least TWO months on your personal Thai bank-account.  That should be no problem at all, just don't slip below the +800K during the period after you got the permission to stay stamp and the day you apply for the 1-year extension.

Thank you!  I will make appointment for next week.  I post reply before I read your message.  I think I understand now.

Is there a benefit to do O-A instead of O Visa?  Can O Visa can be renewed every year like O-A?  Or is O Visa just for 15 months (90 day plus 1 year extension) and then need to leave Thailand and come back on new Visa?

2 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Is there a benefit to do O-A instead of O Visa?  Can O Visa can be renewed every year like O-A?  Or is O Visa just for 15 months (90 day plus 1 year extension) and then need to leave Thailand and come back on new Visa?

In the recent thread on applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country, the benefits of applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa over a Non Imm O Visa are explained in full detail.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1190097-non-imm-o-a-visa-application-in-home-country-easy-to-meet-health-insurance-requirement/?do=findComment&comment=15963302

After the 2-year IO hassle-free period that Non Imm O-A Visa can provide, and applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O-A Visa, there are no benefits anymore.  On the contrary, because when applying for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of RETIREMENT, you would then be confronted with the mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement.  Such insurance is not required for the 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O Visa, and all other conditions/requirements are exactly the same.

When occasionally visiting your home-country and using that occasion to apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa is a worthwhile option to stay long-term in Thailand.  Doing so there would be no need to visit an Imm office for yearly extensions, as well as no need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account.

26 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Visa in Thailand is very confusing.  There is O visa and there is O-A visa.  O visa does not need insurance.  O-A does need insurance.

You can apply for the non-o visa at immigration. A OA visa can only be applied for at a Thai embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

26 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Can O Visa can be renewed every year?  Or is just 1 15 months total, then need to leave Thailand and come back on new Visa?

The non-o visa issued by immigration is only valid for the day it is issued and allows one 90 day entry.

After that you will apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa of any kind) that can be extended every year near to when it expires. No need to leave the country unless you want to.

Okay I think I understand the differences.  I make a table to show side by side.

One thing I include and don't know for certainty but seem to make most sense.  It is about needing re-entry permit with O-A visa during the permission to stay period after original visa expired (last box on bottom right).  Since no more valid visa, if you leave country then can not come back with visa.  All other permission to stay (without unexpired visa) require re-entry permit to come back, so I think it probably the same?

image.png.984f87f9ba5638b0b93db479ab2355b9.png

Peter, if this look right and you think helpful to other people, I can post to other thread you provide (great thread!).  Or you can post it.  If wrong I can fix.  If confusing I won't post there!  Only want to be helpful, not add to confusing people!

9 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Okay I think I understand the differences.  I make a table to show side by side.

One thing I include and don't know for certainty but seem to make most sense.  It is about needing re-entry permit with O-A visa during the permission to stay period after original visa expired (last box on bottom right).  Since no more valid visa, if you leave country then can not come back with visa.  All other permission to stay (without unexpired visa) require re-entry permit to come back, so I think it probably the same?

Peter, if this look right and you think helpful to other people, I can post to other thread you provide (great thread!).  Or you can post it.  If wrong I can fix.  If confusing I won't post there!  Only want to be helpful, not add to confusing people!

Peter can explain more but funds are required for OA visa but can be in your home country ( or Thailand ).

38 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Hi, the overview table is correct, except for the Funds required (as already remarked by Andrew Dwyer).

When applying for either of these Visa you would need to provide evidence of funds.

And in both case you do NOT need to maintain these funds during the period of permission to stay triggered by the Visa validity.

However since the Non Imm O Visa is only valid for 90 days, you would need to MAINTAIN the funds starting two months before applying for the 1-year extension of stay.  So in practice you would need to maintain funds on a personal Thai bank-account during the full period that you are staying in Thailand.

As the Non Imm O-A visa can provide you with almost 2 years of permission to stay from your application, you would only need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account at the end of that 2-year period.  That is when you intend to apply for the 1-year extension in country of that Visa.  When leaving Thailand and re-applying in your home-country for a new Non Imm O-A Visa would avoid ever having to park/transfer money to a Thai bank-account (or having to apply for 1-year extensions for that matter). 

3 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Here is updated table!  After your advice I find the amount for O-A on websites.  Hopefully amount is right!

image.thumb.png.9374573cb75bbbd6de6ea3d94c802b34.png

Yes, table is correct for a US citizen applying for the Non Imm O for reason of retirement in Thailand or applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in US or country of legal residency.

For citizens of other countries, there will be some differences.

E.g. possibility to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement in home-country, or additional methods to prove they meet the financial requirements for the 1-year extension (by making use of an Embassy issued income-letter).

Thank you guys for taking the time to get things sorted out like this!

May i add one more thing that has applied for me during my Visa Non O A (for reason of retirement) process in Germany, just this week: The RTE/Consulate in Munich accepted my Bangkok Bank Passbook statement for the proof of holding more than 800K THB as funds. I did not provide a German bank statement showing that amount...

Just to add that up. It happened to me at this week in Germany. Though dont know if valid worldwide...

Thanks again,

John

Hello

I want to give everyone update and thank everyone again.  I was at CW today.  For future knowledge, change visa to retirement is Counter C-1 (next to Counter C-2 which is for re-entry permit).

Not many people.  I go around 9:30 and wait time is about 20 minutes.  They review all my document.  I need to update bank book to show balance as of today.  I go to basement and deposit a little baht, then I can update book.  Don't forget to make copy of updated page too!  Save a trip back to basement!

They stamp everything, I have to sign all pages, pay the fee and I have receipt now to come back.  No problem.  Everyone friendly.  Seem like with fewer people there there is not so much stress.

They also say they do a home visit now and take my number to call me.  Say I must answer phone when they call or no visa!  Has anyone experience with this?  How long do they take to call?  Do they just show up?  Maybe call to set time for visit!

Before I think about using agent to help with everything, but with preparation and advice from people here (thank you again Ubonjoe and Peter!) it is not very complicated.

You might add a Non O visa ( 90 days) is available at just about any Thai Embassy/consolute if ur over 50 an no monies required,

BEFORE covid you could also get a 1 year non o visa in Penang or laos , ( had to show 800,000 in Bank)

Didn't need the 2 months before or 3 months after.

Fund requirement for Non O

800,000 2 months before, 3 months after and than cant drop below 400,000- resat of year till time to re-up it to 800,000

OR 

65,000/month wired INTO Thailand

OR

a combination of both

• 3 weeks later...

Update and Thank You!  I now receive my Non-O Visa stamp, cancellation of stamp, and 90 day permission to stay. 

My advices for anyone consider using agent is agent not needed for this.  Transfer money in and do it legitimate way.  It is safer and easy to do without agent helping.  All immigration people I see were friendly and helpful.  Thank you to them.

Better than using agent is advice and guidance from people here.  Especially Peter Denis for his very helpful guide he send and his advice.  And to UbonJoe and all the others too!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Archived