Swiss voters clearly reject curbs on EU immigration

webfact

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

In this context the phrase is used by racists to mean white - it doesn't occur to them that language has no color

Even the 'far-right'ers with Thai wives & dual national families living law abiding lives at home or abroad?

Methinks you should drop that paintbrush and take a fresh look at whats actually happening.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, pegman said:

If you admire racists I suppose. Funny how the Brits sent their own all over the globe and that seems fine with them. The world reciprocates and it's somehow a problem. Again, good on the Swiss. It has a huge immigrant population but is at the top for medium wealth. 

How this survived when a reply vanished within minutes starkly mirrors what is happening in the real world.

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

nothing Powell spoke about has happened.

Why is is that racists spend so much time denying what they say is racist.

They'll be saying "some of my best friends are...." next or 

"My wife is coloured" so that makes me not racist...

they see the world in cliches.

Basically they're just ignorant and frightened.

Most of the Swiss on the other hand recognise the benefits of immigration and the EU.

There are no benefits from uneducated immigrants, which end up being millions from another culture flooding into already over populated countries. The stress they put on schools, housing and health care is just unsustainable. You cannot have unlimited immigration and a functioning NHS. Perhaps the Swiss could have voted on what the limit should be as there are to be no curbs, 2 million, 10, 20? Powell was right, those the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.

26 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

There are no benefits from uneducated immigrants, which end up being millions from another culture flooding into already over populated countries. The stress they put on schools, housing and health care is just unsustainable. You cannot have unlimited immigration and a functioning NHS. Perhaps the Swiss could have voted on what the limit should be as there are to be no curbs, 2 million, 10, 20? Powell was right, those the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.

His 'Whip Hand' was certainly accurate.

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

His 'Whip Hand' was certainly accurate.

BLM springs to mind with sports teams and the Police blackmailed (can we say that) into groveling in submission. Actually Powell was quoting what a constituent had said to him there on his worries about immigration, but the whiners chose to forget that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

BLM springs to mind with sports teams and the Police blackmailed (can we say that) into groveling in submission. Actually Powell was quoting what a constituent had said to him there on his worries about immigration, but the whiners chose to forget that.

I'll be tarred and feathered by the time I log in tomorrow simply for mentioning it ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Perhaps the Swiss could have voted on what the limit should be as there are to be no curbs, 2 million, 10, 20?

They've already done that.

Quotas for 2020:

https://www.fragomen.com/insights/blog/new-quotas-released-switzerland-2020

I presume that you are aware that the referendum was about stopping the immigration of specifically EU citizens?

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Basically they're just ignorant and frightened.

You should do a survey and ask the Thais what they'd think about the plan to import African Muslims, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis into Bangkok until Thais were less than 50% of the population in the capital city. I wonder if they too would be too "ignorant and frightened" to accept this amazing idea but that's what the UK did with London and people are apparently proud of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

The stress they put on schools, housing and health care is just unsustainable.

There's no end in sight. They're going to start building tower blocks in the country side to house the millions of Africans which are planning to move to the UK over the coming decades. The children of the future will weep for that their ancestors have done to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swissie said:

The best (the worst) is yet to come. The current "Rahmenvertrag" with the EU will not be accepted by the Swiss Voters. Too many infringements concerning souvereighnity of Switzerland. Will have to be re-negotiated with the EU.

Swtzerland is not anti-foreighners. But with a 24% quote of "foreighners" the upper limit has been reached.

If the re-negotiations with the EU should fail, many Swiss-Voters will surely take an increased interest in how the "Brexit" unfolds.

Especially if the "Brexit" will not catapult the UK back into some sort of economical Stone-Age. We shall see, but the "Swissies" are closely watching the historical event that is called "Brexit".

So the current vote means that they reject the "current Rahmenvertrag"? Really? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

You should do a survey and ask the Thais what they'd think about the plan to import African Muslims, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis into Bangkok until Thais were less than 50% of the population in the capital city. I wonder if they too would be too "ignorant and frightened" to accept this amazing idea but that's what the UK did with London and people are apparently proud of this.

So, if I understand well, it would be better to have European immigrants? ????

17 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

UK immigration levels have to remain the same or increase if the economy is to function. Where they come from may change and of course Brits will no longer be able to work in Europe without visas.

UK immigration levels have to remain the same or increase if the economy is to function.

Not true IMO. AI robotics is going to eliminate the need for human workers in many thousands of cases. No need for immigrants to do low level type work, and even skilled workers will see their jobs vanish.

A good example is films, now that CGI is good enough to replace real actors. At the moment actors provide the voices, but that may change as well. Many humans are employed to do the CGI, but once AI gets good enough that will change too, IMO.

Not just the UK of course- far as I know all advanced countries are going down the route of replacing humans with automation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

UK immigration levels have to remain the same or increase if the economy is to function.

Not true IMO.

this is one of the biggest lies ever told. Same exact story in America.  What they really mean is "we need to import cheap labor from the 3rd world to maintain our bottom line and break the backs of native labors bargaining power".

You need to ask yourself how the UK ever survived in previous decades before mass migration.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Immigrants in Britain are better educated than the natives, official statistics reveal, with more than half of all foreign-born residents in the UK educated to degree level. This is the highest proportion in Europe, with Ireland having the next highest share - at 44 per cent. I understand 'chain migration is no longer permitted in the UK, only immediate close family member/s.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/08/mapped-how-britain-has-the-highest-level-of-skilled-migration-in/

18 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Indeed.

Maybe this is one of the growing number of lights at the end of the tunnel. The vile spread of populism, rooted in fear, hatred, envy, xenophobia, and ignorance, could be beginning to run out of steam. It has done enough damage to decent civilised values in our world already. 

The Swiss are generally intelligent people, who are fairly well informed. I know the country well as I have 7 cousins there. They are well aware that immigrants are doing jobs that they might not wish to do themselves, but are important for the smooth running of the country all the same. 

Critically they know the huge benefit that they derive from open EU trade. If only some other countries were half a bright. 

I think you have a point about "intelligent and well informed" - _ I don't think there's a way to categorise intelligence but well informed is probably the key.

Sadly the right is in ascendency these days and it is good to see a relatively conservative country rejecting hard right absolutism.

however I take little comfort in this as elsewhere every day I meet people or read posts by people who it seems would be quite at home working as guards in a concentration camp.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

W

It appears Orton Rd road doesn't appreciate the irony of those comments as an "uneducated immigrant" in Thailand himself....

Every word in that post is completely inaccurate - it shows the amazing lack of understanding of racists. ....and their irrational fears. However we can take heart that 60% of Swiss voters didn't swallow that kind of pap.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1