Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

10 hours ago, genericptr said:

Sweet, so why did they insist we all leave before the 26th then?

Because they were hoping to get everyone without documentation out, then realized it just wasn't feasible. There was also pressure from the Tourism Authority, in light of no farangs coming in, to just let the farangs stay.

4 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Because they were hoping to get everyone without documentation out, then realized it just wasn't feasible. There was also pressure from the Tourism Authority, in light of no farangs coming in, to just let the farangs stay.

If and when this occurs it is not about tourism. It is primarily because of the many many many migrant workers still here who have been on extensions, or on the border passes, who come and go but now can't. Many folks in Bangkok never see them because they are not at CW but at two centers where only the 3 asean countries of Myanmar, Lao, and Cambodia, are serviced.  It has been a mass of people trying to stay in the country legally, even doing a 90 day report there takes until 3, 4 or 5 pm so its an all day que.  Take a walk to Big C Lat Prao and up to the 5th floor and the parking garage to have your own look.

• Like 2

People was always going to leave it to the last minute.. because they have bluffed about not extending Amnesty before.

this will mean over crowding...

maybe if the “staff” ( more like kids on work experience) in immigration actually work faster they might actually be able to sort out a lot more visas but it seems they are just ticking down the clock for their lunch hour! I’ve never seen people coast so much on their job in my whole life.. 

MTT was a complete joke last week.. not necessarily in terms of overcrowding I heard CW was a lot worse... but the complete waste of time having to line up for some “pointless workers” checking people’s documents before they even let you in to the main room to see the dragons who also “check” again your documents and take your 1900 baht for the visa...

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That is your opinion based on no evidence, proof or research at all. Zero. Perhaps, though, it reflects the company you keep.

How is this relevant to anything?

Smug comment of the week and, again, completely irrelevant.

Yeah,

and I suppose you know everything about here, eh?

And I I am happy I don't keep company with people like you.

11 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Because he said business people without permits,  I think it’s meant for the digitally employed / remote working business people who spend enough money to warrant a long term visa.... the CCSA was talking about this relentlessly to the government and it appears they have now listened! 

Here's a real trap .. once immigration gets your 500k bank accounts for 6 months, they can hand them over to IRD, which can then check what was brought into the country and unless you've paid taxes on it ( which I  doubt very few digital nomads have ), you'll get hit.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This reads like one of those "I’ve gone more native than you, so I know more” comments.... 

Not one aspect of what you have mentioned implies that you should know any more than anyone else on any subject in Thailand. 

Now, had you attended meetings of the Thai Chamber of Commerce or been privy to the discussions of those in decision making power then your insinuation of ‘being more knowledgable’ would carry some water. 

Unfortunately, its a common thing amongst those who’ve been here any length of time, they seem to think they have somehow gained an inside understanding of Thai’s and how Thailand works, they have scratched the surface, pulled back the veil, decoded the Thai Smile... etc... etc...  and now also eat insects so they are definitely respected by the locals !!! - these guys are tragic.

The reality is - things are just disorganised, this situation is fluid, decisions are being made and if it causes a problem there is some back pedalling - thats it, there is no secret. This government is bumbling through this crisis as every other government in the world is. 

-----

With regards to visa amnesty - there is no intelligent reason not to extend it. 

Hi,

No I apologize if I wrote a bad post or you misinterpreted it.

I have no argument with you. Some of the posts though, are just plain daft.

It';s tough times and thank you for your post, I totally am onside with your last paragraph!

I have two sons, one who deals with adults with mental health issues, the other is a key worker in the nuclear industry. My lads refused furloughing..

I am a proud Dad at the moment.

Sorry if my post came across wrong.

What about the people who overstayed and working as a teacher without valid passport, visa and work permit? I know someone and I even called the Immigration  to arrest him, but they seem only interested with Filipinos please arrest also other nationalities. Thanks

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Erlinda said:

What about the people who overstayed and working as a teacher without valid passport, visa and work permit? I know someone and I even called the Immigration  to arrest him, but they seem only interested with Filipinos please arrest also other nationalities. Thanks

Nobody likes a snitch.

I don't consider overstaying and teaching without a valid work permit as 'crimes' as it is well possible that Immigration with their petty rules and Cannot attitude made it impossible for the person to meet their requirements.

When the person you reported to Immigration is not doing any criminal activity (but is actually doing a community service like teaching), why did you attempt to catch him and ruin his present life?

If there is more to your story then I will reconsider the above, but if you think snitching to Thai Immigration is a Good Deed you deserve the Karma that this will enevitably bring on you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:56 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't involve myself with corrupt agents tied in with corrupt immigration officers. I still have standards which I do my best to maintain. The only way to remain in the country by using an agent is if they pay a government official to ignore the law. I've dealt with it legally.

Harrumphhh!!!!

On 9/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, DrTuner said:

Here's a real trap .. once immigration gets your 500k bank accounts for 6 months, they can hand them over to IRD, which can then check what was brought into the country and unless you've paid taxes on it ( which I  doubt very few digital nomads have ), you'll get hit.

Digital nomads aren't employed in Thailand and thus don't have a Thai work permit so how can the Revenue Department assess taxes? There's probably thousands of foreigners here on either retirement or marriage extensions that have have brought great gobs of money into the country but Immigration doesn't need to see any declaration of tax paid to allow them to stay.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Digital nomads aren't employed in Thailand and thus don't have a Thai work permit so how can the Revenue Department assess taxes? 

They'd audit the transfers to the Thai bank account. Should any come from an overseas company, then they could start digging it all up. Doesn't matter if you have a work permit or not, if you bring it to Thailand in the same tax year and you're resident for 183+ days (IIRC), you are tax resident in Thailand and liable for income tax.

The one thing that protects nomads is that Thailand hasn't implemented the OECD CRS yet, so they don't have an easy way to ask banks for the info. That's not because of a few nomads - there's plenty of fishyness going on with Thais moving money in/out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 11:07 PM, Erlinda said:

I doubt they are only interested with Filipinos, why don't you do a formal report to immigration and get a proper documentation.

If immigration don't act on it, then report to higher ups.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:49 PM, DrTuner said:

They'd audit the transfers to the Thai bank account. Should any come from an overseas company, then they could start digging it all up. 

Transferring money from overseas is quite common, I doubt it shows that they are working.