Permenant residency by marriage visa

Hi folks, I'm currently on marriage O visa. But I'm starting a job soon with a Thai company. 

I want to obtain a permanent residency and my understanding is that you need to hold a work permit min of 3 years before applying. 

So my question is, is it better to apply for a work permit with current O visa or should the company convert to B visa then apply for wp? 

Any experienced info would be Cheerios. 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards, 

Coolio

Best to stay on a extension of stay (a multiple entry non-o visa would not meet the requirements for PR) based upon marriage instead one based upon marriage. That way if you job ends you extension would not end.

If you qualify for permanent residency based upon marriage to a Thai you can also apply for Thai nationality.

• Like 1

Hello thanks for ur reply. 

(a multiple entry non-o visa would not meet the requirements for PR)

Do u mean O visa with work permit for 3 years doesn't meet the requirements? 

I thought whatever the visa is, just need to meet the miniumum salary and working for the same company for at least 3 years with wp. 

You have to be on extensions of stay (it is not a visa of any kind) issued by immigration for 3 consecutives years to apply for PR.

A multiple entry non-o visa issued by a embassy or consulate that requires you to leave and re-enter the country will not be accepted to apply.

9 hours ago, judokrab said:

You should definitely stay on the O-visa (marriage extensions). 

As you are married to a Thai, you are allowed to fast-track to Thai citizenship, skipping the PR step. There is therefore no advantage in applying for PR.

do you need job and or local income to apply ?

19 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Once submitted the application, how longs the waiting period? 

Also during this waiting period, if one's sacked, what will then happen? 

Coolio 

I applied in Oct 2019. Got the approval from both comittees, now waiting for final signature by respective authorities. IO told this will be most likely Jan 2021.

Need to hold a work permit at least 3 years prior to application, so losing your job afterwards should not affect the application process.

After the application has been filed, you will receive a 180-day extension of stay, which allows you to remain as a legal resident while your application is being processed.

Edited by Bennyl

5 hours ago, Bennyl said:

I applied in Oct 2019. Got the approval from both comittees, now waiting for final signature by respective authorities. IO told this will be most likely Jan 2021.

Need to hold a work permit at least 3 years prior to application, so losing your job afterwards should not affect the application process.

After the application has been filed, you will receive a 180-day extension of stay, which allows you to remain as a legal resident while your application is being processed.

Hi thanks for info. 

But one still needs to hold the same non imm visa until the final signature? 

Suppose I got 3 yrs by non B with wp, sacked in 4th year, and convert to non O without work, am I still eligible?