Pattaya's ghost tower eyesore discussed yet again - demolition experts consulted

webfact

Pattaya's ghost tower eyesore discussed yet again - demolition experts consulted

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Pattaya's infamous Water Front condo development is once again in the news. 

After ten years of dithering, court orders and failure to successfully conclude the issue Sophon Cable TV reported that eleven companies have been consulted regarding demolition of the structure. 

The development was first permitted in 2008 and building proceeded for five years until it was discovered that planning permission had been flouted. 

Building was initially stopped in 2013 but the matter was in and out of the courts until 2017 when a demolition order was issued.

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

A court challenge stayed this in 2018 as City Hall tried to reinstate it and have the building knocked down. 

Finding someone who is prepared and able to demolish such a large building has proved problematic. 

Now 11 private companies are being consulted who may be able to finally rid the skyline of one of Pattaya's most infamous eyesores. 

However, court battles remain and the issue is unlikely to be resolved any time soon. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-28

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Good news though !

At least 4 property sites are still listing condos for sale in that project ! Not one of them mentions anything about the project being "delayed" or cancelled. 

I'm kind of curious what they would say if someone made an enquiry.........

Wouldn't that be a great story for the Pataya Mail ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Good news though !

At least 4 property sites are still listing condos for sale in that project ! Not one of them mentions anything about the project being "delayed" or cancelled. 

I just bought a penthouse on the top floor..... what a steal!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I just bought a penthouse on the top floor..... what a steal!

You could probably still move in right now. Might be a long walk up and down the stairs though. Might be quicker and easier to make a bamboo bridge from the look out.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

court battles remain and the issue is unlikely to be resolved any time soon. 

and there is the kicker,
just when i was thinking the biggest bang seen in town and my thoughts came tumbling down

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Probably because all those guys were quietly "disappeared" right afterwards ? Loose lips sink presidents and all ! Frik, even Seal Team members have blabbed about things that normally they'd never talk about.

I think they will have a real problem bringing that building down if they try using strictly a controlled explosion demolition.  You see in the 2 videos above how tall buildings can start to tip over as they are coming down. In the first video, the top of the 2nd building ends up tipping over and falling onto the rubble of the 1st building and I'm betting that was just a lucky happenstance.
In the second video you also see the top of the building tipping over and nearly landing on the buildings just a few meters away. Ideally, in both cases, the tops of the buildings should have dropped straight down, not tipped over. 

Note buildings in Frankfurt and the Chinese building were under 120 meters high and the Waterfront Condo is 175 meters (or would have been if it was finished).

I also noted that the story linked in the other thread had a graphic showing the building and the condos that had been sold. The graphic only showed a 50 story building but the news articles say it was 53 stories.

3 secret floors added on ? Or just another example of the right hand saying one thing while the left hand is doing something else ?

The person in charge at the time was the former mayor, who is the brother of the current mayor (as well as the brother of the mayor of Bang Saen). He is also the Member of Parliament for Chon Buri. (Yeah, "that" family.)

As well, it seems they can't figure out who is to blame as each group is blaming the others. In the end I suspect no one will be held accountable and any court cases will be suspended for lack of evidence.

Good news though !

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

That would depend on what amulets the people doing the explosives had as well as the competence of the fortune teller (or tellers) used to determine if it will actually work.

Using the wrong amulets and/or cheap fortune tellers could spell disaster !

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

You could probably still move in right now. Might be a long walk up and down the stairs though. Might be quicker and easier to make a bamboo bridge from the look out.

Oh my God! You seem to be the professional on the subject.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As I can see it, the only thing they need is a demolition expert.

In Frankfurt: 

In NW China: 

:cheesy::cheesy:

Funny when they said it was razed to the ground.  LOL 

I would say it was lowered to the ground. And quite quickly too. 

• Like 2

I bet on it - they will finish it. Perhaps after the planned Bali Hai project. If I understood it correctly then it would be at least 100 meters away from the coastline as required because they want to build something into the sea in front of the building.