Pattaya's ghost tower eyesore discussed yet again - demolition experts consulted

webfact

To demolish such a structure is a blatant waste of resources [ material, labour] and more importantly amenity. 

The building could be used in a plethora of ways to benefit the local economy and population

To quote the building as an eyesore is premature [at best] this is simply because it's not finished

The intelligent thing to do would be to finish the development, apply reparations, give it a 20 year lease and use the revenue finance Pattaya's metropolitan projects

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gillap said:

This is crazy...the building stands illegal or not! Why waste this building...make something useful with it...a hospital maybe...research centre...anything that would be beneficial to Thais...!

I sort of agree regarding not wasting the building (if it’s salvagable) but shouldn’t any rebuild be beneficial to the punters that financed it. 

Many were small investors, people like us spending life savings, thinking they were buying retirement condos etc. 

Also, I’d be interested to know who the extra floors/penthouses were earmarked for.

DD8AF8D4-0385-4401-894B-5A947704330A.jpeg.7e28416073c35536c65fad4f3cb0f42a.jpeg

13 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Probably because all those guys were quietly "disappeared" right afterwards ? Loose lips sink presidents and all ! Frik, even Seal Team members have blabbed about things that normally they'd never talk about.

I think they will have a real problem bringing that building down if they try using strictly a controlled explosion demolition.  You see in the 2 videos above how tall buildings can start to tip over as they are coming down. In the first video, the top of the 2nd building ends up tipping over and falling onto the rubble of the 1st building and I'm betting that was just a lucky happenstance.
In the second video you also see the top of the building tipping over and nearly landing on the buildings just a few meters away. Ideally, in both cases, the tops of the buildings should have dropped straight down, not tipped over. 

Note buildings in Frankfurt and the Chinese building were under 120 meters high and the Waterfront Condo is 175 meters (or would have been if it was finished).

I also noted that the story linked in the other thread had a graphic showing the building and the condos that had been sold. The graphic only showed a 50 story building but the news articles say it was 53 stories.

3 secret floors added on ? Or just another example of the right hand saying one thing while the left hand is doing something else ?

Some places will not allow explosive demolition and buildings need to be deconstructed. I'm not sure where Pattaya stands on this issue, but no one mentioned controlled explosive demolition and it's unlikely there are 11 companies that can do this. Can you imagine the costs of deconstructing it and how long it would take.

22 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

I sort of agree regarding not wasting the building (if it’s salvagable) but shouldn’t any rebuild be beneficial to the punters that financed it. 

Many were small investors, people like us spending life savings, thinking they were buying retirement condos etc. 

Also, I’d be interested to know who the extra floors/penthouses were earmarked for.

DD8AF8D4-0385-4401-894B-5A947704330A.jpeg.7e28416073c35536c65fad4f3cb0f42a.jpeg

Hypothetically would this building still be salvageable after sitting exposed to the environment for 7 years? I'm no engineer, but surely the concrete and rebar has deteriorated too much (concrete spalling) to make it possible. A lot of formwork in Thailand is very rough and a lot of rebar is exposed. It's proximity to the ocean wouldn't have helped.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Can you imagine the costs of deconstructing it and how long it would take.

Especially with the borders locked down to slave low cost labor.

OTOH, there's millions of Thais looking for work...

Edited by impulse

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Good news though !

At least 4 property sites are still listing condos for sale in that project ! Not one of them mentions anything about the project being "delayed" or cancelled. 

I'm kind of curious what they would say if someone made an enquiry.........

Put down a hefty deposit & it's yours.... to be finished soon.

14 hours ago, djuiiy said:

>Ghost tower.
There's no reason to raze any one particular redundant building when the whole city is a ghost town. Raze the redundant walking street and replace it with a quiet sandy beach with palm trees.

Well it would certainly be quiet at the moment.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Is one of them the people who put it up? Or are they busy building ugly eyesores elsewhere?

They built another monstrosity in Bang Sare despite the town's determination to avoid this sin.  It's right at the end of beach road just a couple of metres inside Jomtien territory.

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Some places will not allow explosive demolition and buildings need to be deconstructed. I'm not sure where Pattaya stands on this issue, but no one mentioned controlled explosive demolition and it's unlikely there are 11 companies that can do this. Can you imagine the costs of deconstructing it and how long it would take.

just throw it in the sea.......i  mean who would notice

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They built another monstrosity in Bang Sare despite the town's determination to avoid this sin.  It's right at the end of beach road just a couple of metres inside Jomtien territory.

Do you mean white sands beach? That one is completed, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Saddic said:

That's a real classic video of idiots trying to knock things down.

I would have thought that if they were to explode Pattaya's ghost tower they would bring in world renowned experts to do the job. It incredible how, if down properly, they can make buildings fall into their footprints.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, Matzzon said:

As I can see it, the only thing they need is a demolition expert.

In Frankfurt: 

In NW China: 

:cheesy::cheesy:

but it is supposed to be a "tourist attraction and later to be used as a GIANT LIGHTHOUSE" for when all the CRUISE SHIPS ARRIVE at Bali Hai docks/port !!!!!

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Amazing what you can learn when you spend a few short minutes searching and reading, especially if you've been paying attention to such things for nearly 20 years.
You know, instead of just glancing a part of a headline and forming an opinion like so many people seem to do.

Instead of spending my days with my butt glued to a barstool watching some meaningless game of "footie" I read. News articles. Research papers. Blogs. Forums. Wikis. History books. I copy documents and file bookmarks.
I spent a good hunk of this morning writing a bit on the situation in Iraq right now, after the news came out about the Americans considering closing down their (massively huge and expensive) fortress, er, embassy there. Had to do some research to get some dates, and check some maps and re-read some historical info (i.e. on the Iran/Iraq war in the 80s).

All that just so I could post a reply to something a friend posted on their timeline.

Pleasant way to spend a wet day indoors. I'm also wiring in a new overhead light switch in the bedroom. And I now know far more about Royal Enfield motorcycles than I care to as a result of a bunch more reading I did today (while looking up information regarding Harley's announcement that they were pulling out of the motorcycle market in India). 

But it's a hobby, not a profession. If I was getting paid to do the same thing, well then, it would probably justify the time I too often spend on such matters.

I always read your posts knowing you seem to be up with local affairs. ????

8 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Cool  Love exploring these empty buildings...much like ghost tower in BKK....

Use it as the new filthy farang quarantine hotel...great view..fresh air---great views--close to cutie amenities

They don't seem to realize the popularity of urbex. The owner of the ghost tower was doing great business with tourists till they shut him down. Same with the cruise ship capsized off Sri Racha. It would have been a great scuba dive site but they have scrapped most of it and now it is a true wreck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Hypothetically would this building still be salvageable after sitting exposed to the environment for 7 years? I'm no engineer, but surely the concrete and rebar has deteriorated too much (concrete spalling) to make it possible. A lot of formwork in Thailand is very rough and a lot of rebar is exposed. It's proximity to the ocean wouldn't have helped.

Concrete cancer eats buildings. My brother used to work repairing it

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

On 9/29/2020 at 8:01 AM, Susco said:

Do you mean white sands beach? That one is completed, isn't it?

There is only one monstrosity among the low rise establishments in Bang Sare tho' I don't know its name.  It looks finished but I tend to avert my eyes when I pass it.

On 9/28/2020 at 2:09 PM, ronaldo0 said:

Cheaper to blow it up than finish it ?????

They dont want go re-approve it after it got politicised in media. It is better to finish it. A landmark building and Pattaya's top investment...gut blown up...Thai style. INVESTORS BE WARNED. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU AT ANY TIME. DOCUMENTS APPROVED, THEN YEARS LATER REVOKED. YOU JUST LOST IT ALL. You didn't do anything wrong. Still no protection whatsoever. No laws to help you. Third world country Thailand.

I am not sure this is the right signal Thailand wants to send out to investors right now, or probably they did not realize the tsunami it causes ?! Real estate? Gone for years...with covid and without.

• Like 1