Installing D-Link WiFi adapter on PC

Daffy D

I have TOT fiber on my desktop and am happy with it, but just for the hell of it tried to install D-Link USB adapter to see if it would work:-

D-Link.jpg.4bf4404553eaee79abf955f523c20724.jpg

The instructions on the installation CD that came with the D-Link say to install the software first before plugin in the adapter, but when I try that I get this error message:-

1871871206_ApplicationBlocked!.JPG.db825144d8aaf871219e50b6e0a1390d.JPG

I am the only one on this PC and am the administrator so don't quite understand why I'm getting this message.

I have the "User Account Control" set to "never notify" so don't see why this is happening. :mellow:  

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Cheers that worked :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Not sure what is your computer specifications but if you are running Windows 7 or newer, the driver should auto install and you dont need to install any softwares. Most wifi adapters nowdays are plug and play.

Running Win 10 - Erm! didn't think of that :blush:

Anyways working now - Thanks  :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Running Win 10 - Erm! didn't think of that :blush:

Anyways working now - Thanks  :thumbsup:

And how well is it working DD?

The reason I ask is I had no end of problems with my cable Internet (don't ask it's a long story) and there is a central one installed just outside of my apartments, but it is a little distant and I can't get a good signal from it, so will something like this boost my ability to get this signal?

47 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And how well is it working DD?

The reason I ask is I had no end of problems with my cable Internet (don't ask it's a long story) and there is a central one installed just outside of my apartments, but it is a little distant and I can't get a good signal from it, so will something like this boost my ability to get this signal?

I have TOT fiber connection which is pretty fast. The WiFi in comparison was a bit slower but still fairly good. I could live with it if I had to.

All setups, locations and distance will make a difference so the best way would be to get a Wireless adaptor and try it out.

If you have a phone with WiFi or a friend that has you could test the signal strength first.   

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I had no end of problems with my cable Internet (don't ask it's a long story) and there is a central one installed just outside of my apartments, but it is a little distant and I can't get a good signal from it, so will something like this boost my ability to get this signal?

29 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

All setups, locations and distance will make a difference so the best way would be to get a Wireless adaptor and try it out.

If you have a phone with WiFi or a friend that has you could test the signal strength first.   

Daffy has a good idea to test the signal strength (signal propagation inside your apartment) with a phone by downloading a WiFi Analyzer to see where the WiFi signal is strong vs weak.

You can opt to install a "WiFi Extender/Repeater" to extend a stronger signal into a room, or work the oposite side and plug in a USB WiFi Adapter to your PC (preferably one with an external high Db Gain antenna). 

13 hours ago, RichCor said:

Daffy has a good idea to test the signal strength (signal propagation inside your apartment) with a phone by downloading a WiFi Analyzer to see where the WiFi signal is strong vs weak.

You can opt to install a "WiFi Extender/Repeater" to extend a stronger signal into a room, or work the oposite side and plug in a USB WiFi Adapter to your PC (preferably one with an external high Db Gain antenna). 

Thanks for the feedback RC (and Daffy) however I'm afraid my old Nokia flip phone just won't do the job, and I don't intend changing it for anything anytime soon.

However I do have a TP Link 300 Mbps high-power USB adapter which is supposed to boost my Wi-Fi signal, but the problem being is that it has to be installed using a small installation disc, and my new PC doesn't have an option to be able to run this, so I'm stumped!

I also bought a TP Link 300 Mbps Wi-Fi 4G LTE router, which is to be used with a Sim card as I thought this might be the answer to my limited hard wired Internet connection (3 BB), and I tried both AIS and DTAC Sim cards in it, however I must be right on the edge of their signal coverage as the signal was one bar (at best) and intermittent and when I approached both the companies about the signal strength, I basically got a shrug of the shoulders.

So I am getting by with the old telephone line 3BB supply albeit on speeds which vary enormously.

I just thought Daffy's answer might suit my needs.

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

However I do have a TP Link 300 Mbps high-power USB adapter which is supposed to boost my Wi-Fi signal, but the problem being is that it has to be installed using a small installation disc, and my new PC doesn't have an option to be able to run this, so I'm stumped!

Hmmm!   As "shady86" motioned just pug it in the computer it might have inbuilt drivers already.

Or......

Google for "TP Link 300 Mbps high-power USB adapter" installation disk to download.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You always can download the latest drivers and help files at the producer web page. Even if you could use the disk the driver on it might be an old version already. Avoid other sources for downloading. Stick to TP Link in your case. So you avoid viruses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for the feedback RC (and Daffy) however I'm afraid my old Nokia flip phone just won't do the job, and I don't intend changing it for anything anytime soon.

I also bought a TP Link 300 Mbps Wi-Fi 4G LTE router, which is to be used with a Sim card as I thought this might be the answer to my limited hard wired Internet connection (3 BB), and I tried both AIS and DTAC Sim cards in it, however I must be right on the edge of their signal coverage as the signal was one bar (at best) and intermittent and when I approached both the companies about the signal strength, I basically got a shrug of the shoulders.

So I am getting by with the old telephone line 3BB supply albeit on speeds which vary enormously.

I just thought Daffy's answer might suit my needs.

This one? https://www.tp-link.com/th/home-networking/adapter/tl-wn8200nd/

If so, Driver is here(if necessary): 

For hardware version 1: https://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/TL-WN8200ND_V1_Driver.zip

For hardware version 2: https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201903/20190308/TL-WN8200ND(UN)_V2_190301_Win.zip

I would guess you have hardware version 2, though to check, look here: https://www.tp-link.com/th/support/faq/46/

If you aren't using the 4G router, I'll have it off you. My MiFi battery has swollen to relatively gargantuan proportions and I'm waiting for a replacement.

Edited by Eindhoven

On 9/29/2020 at 10:47 AM, Eindhoven said:

This one? https://www.tp-link.com/th/home-networking/adapter/tl-wn8200nd/

If so, Driver is here(if necessary): 

For hardware version 1: https://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/TL-WN8200ND_V1_Driver.zip

For hardware version 2: https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201903/20190308/TL-WN8200ND(UN)_V2_190301_Win.zip

I would guess you have hardware version 2, though to check, look here: https://www.tp-link.com/th/support/faq/46/

If you aren't using the 4G router, I'll have it off you. My MiFi battery has swollen to relatively gargantuan proportions and I'm waiting for a replacement.

Thanks for the information Eindhoven, and I have the version V1, but when I looked on the link you gave me for the possible hardware download, it wasn't there/I couldn't find it, so I will keep hunting as I think I can find it on another website.

The TP link 300 Mbps Wi-Fi 4G LTE router has a code number of TL – MR6400, just to make sure it would be of any use to you, and it is brand-new and unused and still in the box, so send me a PM if you are interested in it, and it would be great if you lived in Phuket, otherwise I can post it to you – – anyway let's touch base by private message.

I will keep looking for the driver download for the other TP Link 300 Mbps high-power USB adapter and see if I can get it working.

Thanks again to you and Daffy for all of your help.

Xylo

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Works for me: https://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/TL-WN8200ND_V1_Driver.zip

Try again: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wn8200nd/v1/#Driver

Thanks yet again, but the package cannot be installed on my operating system (W10) according to the download I have tried.......obviously the shop sold me an old one when I bought it about a year ago. 

Will work on W7 according to the blurb!

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks yet again, but the package cannot be installed on my operating system (W10) according to the download I have tried.......obviously the shop sold me an old one when I bought it about a year ago. 

Will work on W7 according to the blurb!

I beg to differ, as I can see a Driver for Windows 8 within the package. 

When you plug it in, if Windows 10 doesn't automagically find a Driver, then download the package and unzip it. Within you will see a lot of folders.

Then go to Device Manager and look for the modem. When you find it, click on the entry and choose 'Update Driver'. Then choose Browse My Computer and navigate to where the Driver for Windows 8 64 bit sits. 

BUT before you do that, you can search for an updated Driver using the Hardware ID.

To do that, go to Device Manager, find the Modem entry, double click on it, choose Details, then the dropdown menu under Property and then Hardware ID. Copy the Hardware ID into Google and see if any Drivers for Windows 10 comes up.

Before you do any of this, once you plug it in, check if the Drivers have been installed anyway. You again can look in the Device Manager and double click on the entry. If working, there will be a note confirming such.

Here is a very long winded video(In Spanish so turn the sound off) explaining how to do what I described. 

In short, if you have Windows 10 32 bit, use the Drivers for Windows 8 32 bit, if you have Windows 10 64 bit, use the Drivers for Windows 8 64 bit. Let me know how it goes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I beg to differ, as I can see a Driver for Windows 8 within the package. 

When you plug it in, if Windows 10 doesn't automagically find a Driver, then download the package and unzip it. Within you will see a lot of folders.

Then go to Device Manager and look for the modem. When you find it, click on the entry and choose 'Update Driver'. Then choose Browse My Computer and navigate to where the Driver for Windows 8 64 bit sits. 

BUT before you do that, you can search for an updated Driver using the Hardware ID.

To do that, go to Device Manager, find the Modem entry, double click on it, choose Details, then the dropdown menu under Property and then Hardware ID. Copy the Hardware ID into Google and see if any Drivers for Windows 10 comes up.

Before you do any of this, once you plug it in, check if the Drivers have been installed anyway. You again can look in the Device Manager and double click on the entry. If working, there will be a note confirming such.

Thanks again and did get it working but it made no difference to my signal reception, so gave it up in the end.

Have got the router ready to go and will be going to the post office this afternoon, so if you would kindly email me your address I can send it this pm. Thanks.

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

did get it working but it made no difference to my signal reception, so gave it up in the end.

This "made no difference" doesn't sound right. Perhaps "made little difference"?

TP Link having the higher-gain antennas should have provided you with a higher WiFi signal level over your previous WiFi adapter ...or at least a different signal level reading of the WiFi Access Points around you.

You may need to turn-off/disable your original WiFi adapter to make sure the OS is completely switching over to the second external adapter before conclusively saying it made no difference.

I pack several type of WiFi adapters for when I travel, and I have to say that indeed sometimes it "makes no difference" what device I try because the WiFi service being provided is so poorly implemented to make no difference in what I try.  I prefer using a WiFi subscription while travelling because I don't like dealing with data caps like you typically do with a phone service Internet subscriptions.