IO wants to see original passport when condo owner files a TM30

Moved into a new condo last week. The Thai owner tried to register to file a TM30 online but got an "address already registered" error. So this morning they went to the IO and were sent away. Told to return with the foreigner's original passport and signed copies of the relevant pages & attachments. Is this normal or someone fishing for tea money?

• Haha 1

Why becoming so paranoia if officials asking for a I.D. ?

Get used to it as even sending a registered letter at post office passport is asked in Jomtien post office soi 5

Most any id as DL.is accepted other places , but anything to do at police station or Immigration or bank ...Passport gentlemen !????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

Get used to it as even sending a registered letter at post office passport is asked in Jomtien post office soi 5

And you also need to produce the original ID of the person you're sending the letter to? That would be the equivalent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Promula said:

It's not paranoia. The TM30 is an owner requirement, hence if any original ID is required it should be theirs. When registering online all that's needed is the foreigner's passport number and TM6 number. When done in person by the owner this increases to copies of the passport and relevant stamps/attachment. But why the original passport when it's the owner doing the filing under their legal responsibility? If the online system crashes, every hotel in the land has to take every guest passport to immigration to register the TM30?

That shall be thr difference with the online system i guess ...when goiing to officials i always carry passport ..., and also carry someone other his/her passport may look strange ..suspicious ..maybe ?

Unless for the agents with stapples of passports walking in I.O. office...????

19 minutes ago, Promula said:

And you also need to produce the original ID of the person you're sending the letter to? That would be the equivalent. 

That one normaly need to produce by receiving the letter ..

You never got a registered letter receiving ?

Edited by david555

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

...when goiing to officials i always carry passport ..., and also carry someone other his/her passport may look strange ..suspicious ..maybe ?

You're not really following this, are you. TM30 is an owner responsibility, and the owner went to the IO with their ID and copies of their tenant's passport, visa and TM6 info. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Promula said:

You're not really following this, are you. TM30 is an owner responsibility, and the owner went to the IO with their ID and copies of their tenant's passport, visa and TM6 info. 

Yes ,

and you are not aware any I.O. has that "Harry potter magic stick rule " he/she can ask adittional doc. ...?

I understand your point ...but ..hey ...This is Thailand where Thais make the drill

9 minutes ago, Promula said:

Yes, and when I apply for my visa extension / 90 day report I need to show the TM30 receipt. Same Same. 

90 day rapport in person ...need produce ..passport  too , never i bin asked for Tm30 by 90 day rapport nor by new application ret.ext. at Jomtien ...

34 minutes ago, Promula said:

I took the original passport of my houseguest when I did a TM30 for him. I was given a receipt to  put into it,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I took the original passport of my houseguest when I did a TM30 for him. I was given a receipt to  put into it,

TIT....different io. Different day different desk or office ????

My landlord had to make two trips to Jomtien to file a TM 30: once with a copy of my passport, and another when the IO demanded to see the original. At a time of heightened security it is understandable that Immigration would insist on seeing original documents. However, no one should be surprised if this procedure is not consistently applied - even within an individual office. TiT!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Promula said:

Moved into a new condo last week. The Thai owner tried to register to file a TM30 online but got an "address already registered" error.

The owner only has to register the premises ONCE.  If the address is already registered, he just needs to log-in with the username:password he got when registering.  And after being logged-in he can then file the TM-30 notification of the foreigner (you) having arrived and staying at his premises.

Since 30 June this TM-30 filing only has to be done ONCE.  So no need for the owner to file a new TM-30 when you return from a domestic or even from an international trip, as long as you are still on the same original Visa on which you entered Thailand (irrespective of extensions).

Most probably IO did not understand (or was not explained) that the owner just had a problem with logging-in to the IO TM-30 site (possible owner forgot username:password), and came to have that issue fixed.

IO probably thought the owner just came to file your TM-30 in person.  And it is indeed strange that when filing it on-line you just need passport ID-number and TM-6 card-number, while doing it in person at the IO the original passport is required (and not a copy).  But TiT....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The owner only has to register the premises ONCE.  If the address is already registered, he just needs to log-in with the username:password he got when registering. 

I could be that a previous tenant had registered to do the report. Chances are that he was not be aware of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I could be that a previous tenant had registered to do the report. Chances are that he was not be aware of that.

Yes, that's well possible.  A tenant can register the premises where he is staying as 'tenant' which only requires the rental contract and tenant passport.  And if that tenant did not tell the owner he did this, the premises would indeed be already registered, and without username:password the owner would be unable to file a new TM-30 of the new tenant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

And if that tenant did not tell the owner he did this, the premises would indeed be already registered, and without username:password the owner would be unable to file a new TM-30 of the new tenant.

I assume that if the owner was to contact immigration he could have that registration canceled or changed to the owner.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, Max69xl said:

Stop whining and show immigration the passport. What's the problem? 

The problem is inconsistency from different immigration offices around the country. on my landlord try to register online after 30 days he never received his login credentials. So he went in person to file the TM30 report. He wasn't asked to provide my original passport and was simply given the stamped receipt without any problem.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 12:00 PM, david555 said:

Why becoming so paranoia if officials asking for a I.D. ?

Most any id as DL.is accepted other places , but anything to do at police station or Immigration or bank ...Passport gentlemen !????

I haven't sent a letter since COVID-19, but for a couple years before that I had to show my passport whenever I sent a letter, and all the Thais in line with me had to show their ID cards. I don't know the reason for it (my guess is it's some anti-terrorism measure, i.e. makework for some bureaucrat), and it's mildly inconvenient as the postal clerk each time had never done it before. Still, the postal clerks are pretty and usually some of the people sending stuff are pretty women, so I don't mind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Acharn said:

I haven't sent a letter since COVID-19, but for a couple years before that I had to show my passport whenever I sent a letter, and all the Thais in line with me had to show their ID cards. I don't know the reason for it (my guess is it's some anti-terrorism measure, i.e. makework for some bureaucrat), and it's mildly inconvenient as the postal clerk each time had never done it before. Still, the postal clerks are pretty and usually some of the people sending stuff are pretty women, so I don't mind.

A Thai D/L usually works. I recently had to pick up a parcel from the post office customs division. Used a copy of my D/L no issue. In other words, some sort of ID is requested, it doesn't expressly have to be a passport. 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:03 AM, Promula said:

...The TM30 is an owner requirement...

On 9/28/2020 at 7:13 AM, Promula said:

...TM30 is an owner responsibility...

For the record, according to section 38 of the Immigration Act the notification of the arrival of a foreigner at a private residence with the form TM.30 is the responsibility of

• either the householder. aka the house-master, which according to section 4 of the Immigration Act means the chief possessor of the residence in his capacity as the tenant;
  • or the owner;
  • or the possessor, ie the householder.

From the Immigration Act:

Section 4.  In this Act,

...“Householder” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house,
whether in the capacity of owner, tenant, or in any other capacity whatsoever in accordance
with the law on civil registration.

Section 38.  The householder, the owner or the possessor of a dwelling
place or a hotel manager, who takes in, as a resident, an alien with permission to
temporarily stay in the Kingdom, shall notify the competent official at the immigration office
located in the locality in which the house, dwelling place, or hotel is located within twenty
four hours from the time the alien has taken residence. If there is no immigration office
located in that locality, the police officer at a police station of that locality jurisdiction shall
be notified.

Personally, in my situation as the owner of a condominium unit in Bangkok, I find it convenient for the tenant to make this notification and I made it a condition of the lease agreement.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

Personally, in my situation as the owner of a condominium unit in Bangkok, I find it convenient for the tenant to make this notification and I made it a condition of the lease agreement.

But that means that if the previous tenant registered the condo of which you are the owner in order to file his TM-30, the next tenant won't be able to do that as the condo where he is staying is 'already registered' (and that is what this thread is all about).  So that new tenant would have to go to the local IO to have that previous registration cancelled in order to be able to register again and do his own notification.

> It might be easier that you register as owner of all the condos, and notify IO with an on-line TM-30 when a new tenant moves in.  Since 30 June 2020 this only has to be done ONCE as long as the tenant stays on the same Visa on which he entered Thailand (irrespective of extensions, or domestic/international travel). 

• either the householder. aka the house-master, which according to section 4 of the Immigration Act means the chief possessor of the residence in his capacity as the tenant;
  • or the owner;
  • or the possessor, ie the householder.

This means the owner or the tenant of the property where the foreigner is staying, not the foreigner as the tenant themself. 

Edited by Promula