Overstay fines to start Tuesday, says Phuket Immigration

webfact

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It's like being at the train station wondering which one will come in first? Will it be the Amnesty train or will it be the overstay train? Maybe you should leave before one gets there?

As long it is not the train to the east....it will be okay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  Some have personal relationships in Thailand, including marriage and children but unable to legalize stay with closed borders.

2.  Some have homes here and normally live here most of year.

3.  Some have drained available funds and can not afford the costs involved for transportation that may be totally lost without any travel.

4.  Some are very concerned about moving from a low COVID location to extreme pandemic areas.

5.  Some have normal employment here but unable legalize due border crossing issues.

6.  Some just like Thailand.

7.  Some are probably eating the wrong berries.

8.  Some live only for today.

Very well said!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dialemco said:

All these stories make me so sad does it really matter in these difficult time whether or not a few remaining foreigners stay or leave Thailand. What about the forgotten poor Thais reliant upon tourism now without any means to support them selves or their Children. 

Hey now...hasn't there been enough confusion? Don't confuse IOs with the facts and common sense issues. Their head might blow up.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

However, any foreigners who arrive at the office tomorrow (Sept 29) or later to file their applications will be fined B500 a day for overstay, Lt Col Worapol Panpetch, Inspector at Phuket Immigration, told The Phuket News this morning.

And by immigration's estimates approximately 150,000 still remain within the borders?
They are going to start generating a whole lot of badwill internationally.  Better start building bigger immigration detention centers.  This is gonna get ugly methinks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  Some have personal relationships in Thailand, including marriage and children but unable to legalize stay with closed borders.

3.  Some have drained available funds and can not afford the costs involved for transportation that may be totally lost without any travel.

4.  Some are very concerned about moving from a low COVID location to extreme pandemic areas.

5.  Some have normal employment here but unable legalize due border crossing issues.

So they are not tourists and have not bothered to attempt to legitimize their near permanent residence in Thailand,

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, connda said:

And by immigration's estimates approximately 150,000 still remain within the borders?

What date is that figure based on and how many of them are not on legitimate/amnesty extensions now?

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Exactly, given that the Amnesty finished on the 26th, why would they suddenly extend it after the expiry date. 
People blame the Thai government for not being clear, but without mentioning any names, there are certain news reporters here publishing articles before they are even officially announced by the government which gives false hope to people and creates even more confusion. 

You just can’t trust any Thai media reports to be true or correct , many cases are guess work

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chilli42 said:

What am I missing?  Why not just take a flight back to the home country and come back when this mess is over and done.  Why such a priority to stay in Thailand when it’s such a hassle?

I was unaware there were any scheduled flights since March except the repatriation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dialemco said:

All these stories make me so sad does it really matter in these difficult time whether or not a few remaining foreigners stay or leave Thailand. What about the forgotten poor Thais reliant upon tourism now without any means to support them selves or their Children. 

That's the last thing on the soldiers list.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Some need to travel within the region but currently aren't allowed to due to travel and visa restrictions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, connda said:

Good guys turn into bad guys Tuesday for those caught between Covid and an inflexible xenophobic nation.  As the good guys are increasingly fined and criminalized and possibly jailed, any goodwill that has been generated by the amnesty will quickly evaporate.  What will be left are tourist who when they finally return home relate their tale to friends and family, who in turn will tell their friends and acquaintance. Bad treatment will beget bad press.  And all of those people will probably never get on a jetliner bound for Thailand.

C'est la vie. 

Well, it looks like Thailand has decided to avoid that Public Relations disaster until at least October 31st. 

But I still don't think these people are too smart.  Instead of trying to bring a handful of new tourist into the country by running them though a gauntlet of regulations and quarantines, why not just capitalize by catering to those who are already here?  At this point, a tourist is a tourist.  Try maximizing the head count instead to spending so much energy in attempting to expel those who are already here, Covid-free, and posing no risk to the health of the country.  Not a lot of economists in whatever ministries are attempting to get rid of the tourist who are already here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hoppyone said:

Exactly, given that the Amnesty finished on the 26th, why would they suddenly extend it after the expiry date. 

Culturally, Thais suck at planning.  This isn't the first time we have seen immigration orders passed after the fact.  Probably won't be the last.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, essox essox said:

if extention of stay is NOW 31 October.....then how and why are people in phuket subject to being fined ????!!!

Is Phuket NOT part of Thailand????

They are low hanging cash cows and immigration can just reach up and squeeze a teat and start milking.  We all know there is no consistency between regions or offices or even IOs for that matter.  They operate like individual fiefdoms. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, essox essox said:

if extention of stay is NOW 31 October.....then how and why are people in phuket subject to being fined ????!!!

Is Phuket NOT part of Thailand????

The extension is not official/legal/binding until it is published in the Royal Gazette on Friday, therefore if somebody goes into their immigration office this week then (technically) the IO is breaking the rules by not charging the 500 THB pd overstay & putting the red stamp in your passport. 

Once the official announcement is made in the Royal Gazette then yes, IOs should not be charging any overstays.

On 9/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, pubba said:

Well.. They got my 1900 baht last week and I'm 'safe' for another month.

If only they'd allow processing of short term to long stay visa within Thailand.. I'd just apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage and relax a little.

You can with the 60 day marriage extension plus 400k in a Thai bank. Presumably you're on the VOA 30 day + 30 day extension, so you should still have the 60 day 'family visit' one left.

I asked at Phuket about the 'income method' and that only applies for subsequent visas, i.e. first year 400k seasoned for the requisite period and following years 40k/month minimum income from overseas.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, pubba said:

Well.. They got my 1900 baht last week and I'm 'safe' for another month.

If only they'd allow processing of short term to long stay visa within Thailand.. I'd just apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage and relax a little.

We spied for a "non O visa" and permission to stay at Samut Prakan IO on Aug 31. Had to jump through a few hoops, but followed the instructions and got local approval of what we did.

Bottle neck re: final approval at Chang Wattena, according to immigration officer. Absent the promised call my wife said we will go to the office tomorrow (fifth time) to see if we can get any news.