More foreigners to be allowed entry into Thailand

webfact

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Both O and OA are under non-immigrant visa holder.

Yes, this include retirees and business owners who have at least 500k in their bank account.

Tough luck for retirees who use the monthly transfer option with bank balance below that amount.

The reports I've read (from that other Bangkok paper) say Non-Imm O visa holders who have businesses but no work permits will be allowed to return. There was no mention of people with these visas for retirement being allowed to return. Maybe they can return under the "tourists" who plan to stay at least 60 days and have 500k in the bank (Thai or foreign not specified).

At this time because its a pandemic and with people losing jobs you probably shouldn't be going to a foreign country for vacation if you don't have atleast 7-10k saved up. What if a outbreak happens and they ban exiting the country.

Imagine those people with stuck in April. They budgeted for a couple of weeks and ended up spending months. They are trying to avoid broke people getting stranded.

Edited by Shey420

16 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hum... I think that even many "rich people" don't keep such an amount on their Saving Account. Many people keep biggest part of their available money on another type on account, usually one that give interest, but they are not accepted by some Thai Embassies. ;(

Pretty sure most "rich" people, who are planning an extended holiday or move to a foreign country, could easily transfer US$ 15k into a low/no interest bank account to facilitate their stay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Retirees are generally older and thus higher risk and may require medical care. 

No surprise that they may still not yet be included. 

Still, a reminder that proper due diligence must be done thoroughly before choosing to retire somewhere and not based on availability of bars and short times.

Yes, and I'm glad I chose Thailand...one of the lowest Covid cases/deaths in the world and everything pretty much back to normal (if you are living here), while other countries are going back into lockdowns or never came out of them. Many major cities around the world still don't have indoor dining, which we've had for months. The issue you refer to only affects the relatively small number of Thai retirees who were outside the country when the borders closed...just bad luck for them. For us inside, however, its been fine.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Pretty sure most "rich" people, who are planning an extended holiday or move to a foreign country, could easily transfer US$ 15k into a low/no interest bank account to facilitate their stay.

The money, 500k has to be in your bank account back home for the last 6 months. You can't just borrow money to make it look like you have 500k. 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

The money, 500k has to be in your bank account back home for the last 6 months. You can't just borrow money to make it look like you have 500k. 

I don't think they'd have to borrow money either...that's how the non-rich facilitate their stays.

17 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Retirees are generally older and thus higher risk and may require medical care. 

No surprise that they may still not yet be included. 

Still, a reminder that proper due diligence must be done thoroughly before choosing to retire somewhere and not based on availability of bars and short times.

due diligence was done over many years in the bars of pattaya,you can only go with what you got at the time.

17 minutes ago, Shey420 said:

At this time because its a pandemic and with people losing jobs you probably shouldn't be going to a foreign country for vacation if you don't have atleast 7-10k saved up. What if a outbreak happens and they ban exiting the country.

Imagine those people with stuck in April. They budgeted for a couple of weeks and ended up spending months. They are trying to avoid broke people getting stranded.

You still need a negative Covid-19 test 72 hours prior to the departure. You must also quarantine for 14 nights on arrival and have a $100,000 insurance with 100% covid-19 coverage. The risk of spreading the virus is pretty low. When your vacation after 15 days actually starts, you have already spent maybe ฿100,000. 

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I don't think they'd have to borrow money either...that's how the non-rich facilitate their stays.

What I'm saying is that it isn't about having 500k in your account when you apply for the CoE, the money must have been there for the last 6 months. That means the cheap charlies are out of the picture. Don't forget the very expensive airline ticket, Covid 19 tests prior to departure + 14 nights quarantine. That might cost about another 100k. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alyx said:

500,000 Baht in one's account would not "make" its holder rich.

Also some people, who have a negative balance although earning quite a lot, are considered as rich.

That being said, no amount in the bank should be required. As long as there is an insurance and a return ticket.

Who earns “quite a lot” and has a negative balance??

Also, 6 months in a Thai bank account or foreign?

10 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Who earns “quite a lot” and has a negative balance??

Also, 6 months in a Thai bank account or foreign?

A part of the non O / O-A ext. Retirees have already the 800 K money on Th. Bank  rule to be followed (and most keep it there full time ), so they could / would be in order for allowed in , if they still be considered as non O or O-A ....but they are become EXT. Holders ...so..??

Edited by david555

Which "experts" exactly told Prayut that it's the perfect time to start reopening the borders just as the virus is getting completely out of control again in Europe and the Americas and the winter flu season is about to kick off? Does he have a hotline to Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance, lol?

I would presume that the 500,000 baht requirement would have to be in a Thai bank account and not an overseas account if that’s the case I cannot see it being that successful especially as you have to have the funds in the account six months prior to application it seems to me that it’s all about money .

A move in the right direction let's wait for full details and for third quarter economic accounts to show full extent of down turn economy causing sudden change in policy. Hope there will not be undue rise in reported Covid cases and there will be more easing of entry restrictions before the year end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean60 said:

Tourism industry which stands for 11.5 OF GDP (According to officials) is total closed.

Now this government implementing programs for 1500 people per month for fixing the problem?

Please wake up. Samui, Phuket, Pattaya and etc are in very bad shape.

cyclist or horse back riders are not the solution.

we need programs which will bring in 18000000 people in the country or you need to make relief packages. this is crazy.

Six months of lockdown and no help from the government.

Yes...bring in millions of tourists and go back into lockdowns like the UK. France, and Spain. That will do wonders for the economy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

What I'm saying is that it isn't about having 500k in your account when you apply for the CoE, the money must have been there for the last 6 months. That means the cheap charlies are out of the picture. Don't forget the very expensive airline ticket, Covid 19 tests prior to departure + 14 nights quarantine. That might cost about another 100k. 

I agree...now is not the time anybody should be taking vacations...and if you do, there's a lot of hassle and extra expense.

• Sad 1

Blah , blah, blah , Absurd proposals replaced with ridiculous demands , Looking forward to some adults getting in the room . Be nice when reality sinks in and the policy makers realize that Thailand needs to be welcoming to foreigners rather than pretending to be the hooker with

the golden pussy .  

I look forward to the day when I feel like the policy makers don't wake up each day thinking how can we <deleted> the falang today .