More foreigners to be allowed entry into Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, mogandave said:
23 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

So basically if your Rich you can come in. 

So having $16,000 in the bank makes you rich? 

The opposite of that!

Looks like you are not very good in mathematical logic ????

You are rich => You can keep 500'000B in your account  (you can come in)

So this is équivalent to :

You can't keep 500'000B in your account => You are not rich

The opposite of what you wrote ????

Hi...am new to arranging my own travel arrangements so not understanding all this O visa thing.  I am planning on visiting and staying with a friend in Pattaya.  Husband used to do all paperwork but has now passed.   So.... I had booked to travel with a friend, two pensioners together.... I now have to change to a later date due to the current rise and lockdown here in UK.   We are planning on staying for 30 days, popping over to Cambodia for 3 nights, then back to my friend.   Whats the situation on this kind of tourist please.  I know I don't have to apply for a visa as one month is automatically granted. Thinking possibly July now.  Thanks. J    

37 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

The way that I hear it, 500000 baht would be enough to live like a king in Thailand for a decade.

No, if you don't have additional personal income. Because they'll check your financial situation every time you apply for an extension of stay based on your initial visa. 

In quarantine, your 500kb might be gone pretty soon. 

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Speak for yourself, some of us retirees in-country want/need to travel & need them to open up the border so we can get back in... 

Some might say we're selfish for wanting to travel, in my case I haven't seen my family for 1 year from mid-October, in the case of a friend of mine, his mum died a couple of weeks back & he couldn't go back for the funeral. 

If they're really not allowing retirees to re-enter because of a perceived risk of having a worse case of CV19 due to their age, then make it about age ... It's ridiculous to allow a 55 year old "Business Person" with 500K to enter the country but not let a 54 yr old "Retiree" with 10x that back in.

Visa rules, by necessity, are made with broad groups of people in mind, not for individual cases. It is up to travelers and expats to fit themselves into one of the visa categories that are presently available or wait for things to open up further. 

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Probably just Covid insurance which is readily available up to age 99 and easy to buy online.

https://covid19.tgia.org/

Thank you Sheryl.  Good information.  On the other hand what happened to the health insurance requirement for Non-Imm O-A based extension people?  The pesky 40k outpatient and 400k for inpatient cover to be extended, I suspect, to Non-Imm O based people like myself.  Is that all history?

"It looks like they will be allowed under the newest ruling if they meet financial requirement, but details need to be worked out and announced."

I'm afraid that's not what it says at all. 

It says that if you own a business here but don't have a work permit, you can come back. There is nothing about the retired people who have 800,000 baht in the bank here on retirement visas. We are still sidelined and without any foreseeable remedy. 

Unless of course you have information I am not aware of. 

Edited by Trujillo
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Visa rules, by necessity, are made with broad groups of people in mind, not for individual cases. It is up to travelers and expats to fit themselves into one of the visa categories that are presently available or wait for things to open up further. 

You're preaching to the choir there... 

Personally I decided not to get a re-entry permit when I extended my permission to stay last month (now valid until 26th Sept 2021) as if I do go to the UK & the only way back is one of the new tourist visas or a Thai Elite Visa then I want to be prepared for it. 

At the moment the only way back is to marry the GF, that's a bit too "Expensive" for me ???? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hum... I think that even many "rich people" don't keep such an amount on their Saving Account. Many people keep biggest part of their available money on another type on account, usually one that give interest, but they are not accepted by some Thai Embassies. ;(

Does it have to be in a Thai Bank ?

I keep less than 500000 baht or equivalent in a Bank Account my funds are invested long term in a stocks etc and due to the current performance of them I would be very reluctant to sell just to return and spend £4000 with all the hoop jumping required.

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

You're preaching to the choir there... 

Personally I decided not to get a re-entry permit when I extended my permission to stay last month (now valid until 26th Sept 2021) as if I do go to the UK & the only way back is one of the new tourist visas or a Thai Elite Visa then I want to be prepared for it. 

At the moment the only way back is to marry the GF, that's a bit too "Expensive" for me ???? 

Yep same here...when I re-up'ed for another year in July, I didn't get my usual multiple re-entry permit at the same time. I figured I probably wasn't going to be traveling internationally for awhile. I'll just catch-up on my Thailand travels.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, webfact said:

Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation cardholders in low virus risk areas, such as New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, Japan, China, and Hong Kong, are now allowed entry.

Thailand, if everyone else has cases, why are you opening the door?  These countries still have cases.  Every country is claiming their cases are import from outside their country. 

Here the big picture, if your own citizen are returning from these other countries with the virus, who are you going to blame once it start again here?

So these countries are allowed to come now and no quarantine? Are all the other travel requirements still in affect? 

*** Get ready everyone......this road is going to be rough.....????????????????

Here what I google just to see if these countries still had cases: 

As of 28 September 2020, 12pm, the Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed 15 new cases of COVID-19infection in Singapore. Amongst the 6 imported cases, 1 is a Singapore Permanent Resident who returned to Singapore from India on 16 September.

September 29 – China reported 12 newly confirmed cases, all of which were imported cases (5 cases in Shanghai, 3 cases in Sichuan, 3 cases in Shaanxi, and 1 case in Fujian); no new deaths; 1 new suspected case, imported from abroad (in Shanghai). 26 new asymptomatic infections (all imported) were reported; 376 cases of asymptomatic infection are still under medical observation (374 imported from abroad).

As of 27 September 2020, Hong Kong had 5,066 confirmed cases (including probable cases), with 4,786 recoveries and 105 deaths as well as 11 critical cases.

As at 9.00 am, 29 September 2020

Total

Change in last 24 hours

Number of confirmed cases in New Zealand

Number of probable cases

Number of confirmed and probable cases

Number of recovered cases

Number of deaths

Number of active cases

Number of cases currently in hospital

MELBOURNE

Health authorities in Australia and New Zealand confirmed additional infections and fatalities from the coronavirus Sunday.

Cases in Australia rose to 25,570 with 112 infections reported in the past 24 hours, according to health officials.

At least 11 patients lost their lives, bringing deaths to 611, while recoveries increased to 20,851.

New Zealand reported two more cases in the past 24 hours, raising its count to 1,729, including 22 deaths and 1,570 recoveries.

• Confused 2

On 9/28/2020 at 4:47 AM, SEtonal said:

Retirees will be allowed back into Thailand when mass international tourism to Thailand resumes.  A Non-O or Non-OA holder is nothing more than a long-stay tourist age 50 and older.  It makes no sense for Thailand to welcome retirees earlier since their demographic is very susceptible to Covid-19.

Oh really? Most of the younger over weight drunk  farangs i see in bars are more susceptible to death by stupidity than assuming 50-60 years cant be fit.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane Llewellyn said:

Hi...am new to arranging my own travel arrangements so not understanding all this O visa thing.  I am planning on visiting and staying with a friend in Pattaya.  Husband used to do all paperwork but has now passed.   So.... I had booked to travel with a friend, two pensioners together.... I now have to change to a later date due to the current rise and lockdown here in UK.   We are planning on staying for 30 days, popping over to Cambodia for 3 nights, then back to my friend.   Whats the situation on this kind of tourist please.  I know I don't have to apply for a visa as one month is automatically granted. Thinking possibly July now.  Thanks. J    

At present:

You won't get a Tourist Visa - they're suspended.

By "one month is automatically granted" I presume you mean the 30 day exemption. They are not presently available either. (Check the UK Thai Embassy site)

Even if you could get in that way, each time you entered Thailand you'd need to quarantine for 14 days at your own expense at a location of the Thai Government's choosing.

As one who usually spends his winters in Thailand, my present advice is - don't bother! I'm "looking forward" to my first UK winter for 15 years - Yuk! ????

Watch this forum for changes - the problem being that they come so fast it makes your head spin! 

Of course, by July it will have changed again, probably many many times! Review your plans from time to time - that's what I'm doing for now.

Good Luck ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, losername said:

Thank you Sheryl.  Good information.  On the other hand what happened to the health insurance requirement for Non-Imm O-A based extension people?  The pesky 40k outpatient and 400k for inpatient cover to be extended, I suspect, to Non-Imm O based people like myself.  Is that all history?

No, still required for O-A visa. Entirely different from the COVID insurance requirement which applies to all bit is likely temporary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

At present:

You won't get a Tourist Visa - they're suspended.

By "one month is automatically granted" I presume you mean the 30 day exemption. They are not presently available either. (Check the UK Thai Embassy site)

Even if you could get in that way, each time you entered Thailand you'd need to quarantine for 14 days at your own expense at a location of the Thai Government's choosing.

As one who usually spends his winters in Thailand, my present advice is - don't bother! I'm "looking forward" to my first UK winter for 15 years - Yuk! ????

Watch this forum for changes - the problem being that they come so fast it makes your head spin! 

Of course, by July it will have changed again, probably many many times! Review your plans from time to time - that's what I'm doing for now.

Good Luck ????

I would add to the above that Cambodis is not issuing tourist visas or visa on arrival and also requires quarantine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2020 at 2:39 AM, DaLa said:

And no quarantine?

If you click on the link you will see the quarantine and all the other impractical requirements of this entrance to Thailand. The only people willing to do this will be those that need to see their families in Thailand or have some business here. The entry requirements are excessive at best. If Thailand wants to be Covid free then it will be and also be bankrupt. No one with real options and real money are going to jump through hoops for the pleasure of entering Thailand. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Probably just Covid insurance which is readily available up to age 99 and easy to buy online.

https://covid19.tgia.org/

If you have OA visa you need health insurance policy too. Covid insurance for 6 months is 23,040b for me ( using above link) and a throwaway LMG health insurance policy is 11,000 b a year at my age. 

On 9/28/2020 at 3:37 PM, Kwasaki said:

Whoever comes in should get at least a 10 day quarantine and medical checks before they begin whatever including businessmen. 

Absolutely correct ..

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 10:47 AM, SEtonal said:

Retirees will be allowed back into Thailand when mass international tourism to Thailand resumes.  A Non-O or Non-OA holder is nothing more than a long-stay tourist age 50 and older.  It makes no sense for Thailand to welcome retirees earlier since their demographic is very susceptible to Covid-19.

i'm non-O married in Thailand, i'm 44 years old, not fragile... so what you said is wrong.

"...'if' a vaccine comes to fruition..."

I urge everyone to read the article below from which this comes: 

"No vaccine “wipes” out a virus. Vaccines are not cures. Vaccines are not preventatives. Vaccines do not seek out and destroy. As an example, we have had vaccines for influenza for decades (since the 1940s) and each year influenza exacts a toll on humans, including sometimes those who have been vaccinated. Influenza is not even close to being “wiped out.” We manage it at best."

a-primer-for-the-media-on-viruses-vaccines-and-covid-19

13 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"...'if' a vaccine comes to fruition..."

I urge everyone to read the article below from which this comes: 

"No vaccine “wipes” out a virus. Vaccines are not cures. Vaccines are not preventatives. Vaccines do not seek out and destroy. As an example, we have had vaccines for influenza for decades (since the 1940s) and each year influenza exacts a toll on humans, including sometimes those who have been vaccinated. Influenza is not even close to being “wiped out.” We manage it at best."

a-primer-for-the-media-on-viruses-vaccines-and-covid-19

I have been saying this all along a vaccine doesn’t prevent you getting a disease, it lessens the effects so even if there is a vaccine developed it won’t stop it spreading.

I had my Flu jab today, there are 2 different vaccines in the U.K. one for 65 years and under and one for 65 years and over so one vaccine isn’t suitable for everyone.

There has never been an effective vaccine against any type of corona virus before, which does not bode well for that avenue of attack.

I expect that when the clinical trials are completed, there will be something called a vaccine marketed. I suspect those raising doubts as whether it actually works or not, will find themselves shouted down.

Too many governments have backed themselves into an economic corner over Covid. I expect that any vaccine will be hailed as a game changer - even if it's totally useless..

• Like 1