In-country extension requirements

I have a non-immigrant OA over 55 visa granted in the UK. Sticker date is January 27th 2020, stamp date 18th March 2020. I have been living in Chiang Mai since arrival. I want to stay in Thailand for a while and was intending to get a 12 month extension by leaving the kingdom and returning before January, but this now seems unfeasible. I understand I'm too late at this point to establish monthly income, so my only option to extend is to apply in-country and to bring in 800,000THB. My questions are: 

1) when does the money have to be in my account - before the sticker date or before the stamp date? 

2) for how long in advance of my application does it have to be in the account? 

3) how long (typically) does the application take to process? 

4) once the application is approved and the visa extension issued, for how long does the money have to remain untouched? 

Thanks in advance for advice. 

• Like 1

1. The expiration date of your visa means nothing after your are in the country.

What is important is the day your permit to stay date you got when you entered the country. I assume March 18th is the day you entered the country which means that March 17th of 2021 is the day you must either leave the country or apply for a one year extension.

2. The 800k baht has to be in a Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. 

3. The extension is issued on the day you apply for it.

4. You have to keep the 800k baht in bank for 3 month after the day you apply and then 400k baht until you top up your account for the next extension.

You will also need to prove you have the required  insurance when you apply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rosyrose said:

so my only option to extend is to apply in-country and to bring in 800,000THB.

Looks like you might be able to get 60 day back to back extensions for 1,900bht each from the new announcement.

I'd wait until tomorrow evening to see the details of the new deal.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Looks like you might be able to get 60 day back to back extensions for 1,900bht each from the new announcement.

I'd wait until tomorrow evening to see the details of the new deal.

I think you posted in the wrong topic. The OP already has a OA visa and can stay until February or March without extending. The 60 day extension will be for those that cannot leave the country and etc.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I think you posted in the wrong topic. The OP already has a OA visa and can stay until February or March without extending. The 60 day extension will be for those that cannot leave the country and etc.

You're right ...... wonder why the OP is asking for advice on something a lifetime away (4 months), when the current fluid situation leads to most of us having no idea what will be happening with extensions and borders next week.

OP isn't really clear how long extra he wants to stay either.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're right ...... wonder why the OP is asking for advice on something a lifetime away (4 months), when the current fluid situation leads to most of us having no idea what will be happening with extensions and borders next week.

OP isn't really clear how long extra he wants to stay either.

OP asked about the extension done in Thailand instead of doing it the normal way, which is leaving the country and re-enter to get a second year for free. If the borders are still closed when his 1 year permission to stay expires and a 14 days quarantine is still needed if they open the borders, it might be better to do the 1 year extension in country. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...