Anyone else considering Georgia (Eastern Europe)?

On 9/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, Kerryd said:

Big difference between "going for a holiday while things are nice" and "moving there semi-permanently while tensions in the region are rising".

That is a mistake a lot of people make when they move somewhere, even to Thailand. People go on a holiday, stay in nice hotels/resorts, eat in nice restaurants, visit nice places and somehow come to the conclusion that if they move to that place, life will be just like that all the time.

Then they move there and suddenly find that they have to start dealing with locals in a different way. Renting a place to stay because they aren't allowed to buy. Arranging for electricity, water, garbage. Having to shop for food because gee, apparently it's really expensive to eat at restaurants everyday. Then they realize that going to the bars/clubs every night is expensive and not as much fun as it used to be. Then you have to deal with Immigration. With local merchants and repairmen. Dealing with "less than quality" healthcare. Having to deal with transportation (buying a vehicle, insurance, licensing, local driving conditions). Visiting "picturesque places" only to find they are nowhere near as nice as you hoped. Finding out that getting internet is difficult, expensive and maybe even restricted (or monitored). Finding out that the electricity can go out sporadically for extended periods.

You know, all the things that you normally don't have to deal with when you are on your 10-12 day all inclusive holiday.

People always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, until they get there and find out the grass has been painted or is missing altogether.

I tell people that if they are considering moving to a place, they need to go there and try living there like a local first for a couple of months. Rent an apartment. Set up your utilities (TV, internet, electricity, etc). Start shopping for food and essentials, doing laundry, getting a haircut. Try getting around to different places on your own (either driving or taking local transport). 
Try dealing with Immigration (i.e. extending a tourist visa). What are the local police like (helpful or hinderance).
After 2-3 months, you should have a basic idea of what lays ahead. After 4-5 months you should know if that's really where you want to be or if you should maybe consider a different destination.

Because you are never going to know what it's really like to live in a place, until you've actually lived in it.
It's usually all sunshine and good times when you are there for a holiday. It's often rain and sleet and misery when you try living there full time.

Anyone moving to a different country on a semi-permanent (or permanent) basis should be aware of more than just the "fluff" or they are setting themselves up for big problems and big disappointments once they get there and see that things are not as "green" as they'd hoped.

Excellent advice.

While not essential doing some activity be it work , sport, volunteering, envirnmental or trade will help you understand and meet the locals. I was invited to Thailand to train locals, in the end they taught me a lesson and as most married men know you may chase the ladies until one "cathches you".

I'd love to have a vacation in Geougia but to cold for living. 

Depending on budget I think good alternatives to here would be Laos Vietnam Portugal Uruguay or Gabon. If cash climate not a bar Vancouver Island is also very nice

Just read this.  Something to keep your eyes on.

Assessing wider ramifications, David Ignatius warns in The Washington Post that Turkey could be drawn into war to support Azerbaijan. At The Conversation, Kevork Oskanian writes that an attack on Armenia could “trigger Russia’s defence commitments under the Collective Security Treaty Organization”—possibly involving two larger powers on opposite sides of the conflict, “with potentially very serious repercussions beyond the region itself.”

• 5 months later...

Seriously considering spending part of the year there once the pandemic is over.

A big plus for me is that my Thai girlfriend can come with me and stay for up to a year without requiring a Visa.

Cost of living seems to be on a par with Thailand, and the food is said to be delicious and cheap.

I hadn't heard anything about bad smoke pollution in Tblisi before, that would be a serious consideration that I'd need to research further, as that's one of the main reasons why I'd want to leave Thailand.

39 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

Seriously considering spending part of the year there once the pandemic is over.

A big plus for me is that my Thai girlfriend can come with me and stay for up to a year without requiring a Visa.

Cost of living seems to be on a par with Thailand, and the food is said to be delicious and cheap.

I hadn't heard anything about bad smoke pollution in Tblisi before, that would be a serious consideration that I'd need to research further, as that's one of the main reasons why I'd want to leave Thailand.

My wife has been to almost 90 countries. Georgia is in her top 5. I love it there also. Enjoy!

On 9/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, pubba said:

Georgia has been on my radar for a while and I was hoping to visit this year for a few months. I've been in Thailand for a few years and was in China for 6 years before that, so I thought Georgia would be a nice change of scenery.

I have a few friends there and after some research have found the following positives:

• Low crime rate
  • Easy visa process (before covid - more info below)
  • Low cost of living (the average salary in the capital city Tbilisi is $200 USD)
  • Fantastic cheese, wine and bread
  • Friendly locals

Negatives:

• Not many people speak English
  • Conservative culture/dating scene
  • Difficult to get there (even more so during the pandemic)

Anyhow.. With all the confusion over visa amnesty and he says/she says going on.. I've been looking at alternative places to sit and wait out the covid pandemic to dry up or get cured or whatever they have in store for us.

I found that Georgia has a new 'Working remotely from Georgia' program that's open to entrepreneurs, freelancers, digital nomads etc.

The requirements are:

• Proof of income for the last few months
  • Minimum 6 month health insurance
  • 2 week quarantine at approved hotel (ranging from $30-100 per night)

I've applied through the link shared in the blog post here https://www.traveloffpath.com/georgia-launches-digital-nomad-visa-for-remote-workers/ and should get a reply in the next 10 days.

Now the problem is getting there... I had a quick look and it seems to be possible after an epic 40+ hour trip with 3 or 4 stops.

Anyone been to Tbilisis in Georgia or considering the move?

Architecture Delights in Tbilisi Georgia [in pictures] – Radisson Blu Blog

Tbilisi, Georgia: What to see and do in the city

What to do in Tbilisi Georgia - Crazy sexy fun traveler - travel blog about  adventure and spa

I found a major throw back with the idea, it's too close to Vlad  555

Sounds great - cheese, wine, great architecture, and cheap, oh my, everything I'm missing here in Thailand. Yeah, I know, you can get the cheese and wine here but you pay through the nose for it. If my scene here falls apart will certainly give it serious consideration; I'm guessing the girlie scene ain't so hot but at 60ish+ that's no longer a priority for me - been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Mostly it's a sense of duty that keeps me here, like people, dogs, cats, dependent on my miniscule retirement income. Oh, I'm such a selfless guy, not really, just laziness, life is comfortable, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Archived