Another question re the cheap angle grinder.

giddyup

The el cheapo (250 Baht) angle driver arrived, needless to say the directions are pretty basic. Two questions, is the Lock Pin button (at the front) so you can screw the retaining washer tight?, and what is in the little plastic bag, looks like spare brushes, but how much use would the grinder need before the brushes need replacing?

P1050907.JPG

P1050908.JPG

P1050909.JPG

P1050910.JPG

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Yes and yes.

There should be a pin spanner to tighten the retaining nut.

I still have the spare brushes for all my tools :whistling:

Yes, have the spanner. Everything put together and it fires up ok. Bought some safety goggles and leather gloves as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Do Not Forget to wear those safety Glasses.

Buy the best you can afford, as any impact from a fractured Grinding Disc Wheel will be severe

Be advised by a life long Toolmaker and Machinist

I worked with a guy that had a piece of grinding wheel embedded into his brain because he used a grinding wheel with a low speed rating on a grinder with higher RPM's. It shattered and a large piece flew off into his forehead, left a horrendous scar and he was lucky not to sustain brain damage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The el cheapo (250 Baht) angle driver arrived, needless to say the directions are pretty basic.

Be careful with this one

i have had the same few years ago

after few hours of use, and at the first change of disc the safety lock of the disk was

out of order and i have seen the disc flight in the room at high speed

could be very risky, never again a cheap tool on something as dangerous as this one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

is the Lock Pin button (at the front) so you can screw the retaining washer tight?

NO. It is not really. It is so you can lock the spindle to loosen the lock ring as to tightens in use. 

You certainly can use it to stop the spindle rotation when doing up the lock washer, however you need to use a mechanic’s feel for tightening not a gorilla.

If you over tighten you will cause stress in the disk leading soon to very exciting times and quite possibly an involuntary tour of local medical facilities.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Many years back, while grinding without glasses,  I got a metal splinter in the eye.  At the hospital they deaden the eye with drops, clamp open your eyelids and dig the splinter out with a hypodermic needle. 

It's an unforgettable experience, you certainly can't look away.  Do buy some good safety goggles.

Done that a few times but there was no eye drops and the doc used a scalpel.

fun times !!

19 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I don't use the tool tighten, just my hand.

I always just tighten the disc in place by hand.

The actual rotation of the machine in use should self tighten the disc wheel to keep it secure in use.

Dont forget to eye the disc when you first mount it for wobble and run out. 

I will tell you all a story of a young man I worked with many years ago in the Toolroom.

He used one of these things to cut off some seized pins in a Mould Tool, and the disc shattered when he was using it.

He spent 4 weeks in a Hospital with his head bolted into the bed so he could not move, after the Surgeons had removed a piece of this Disc from INSIDE his Eye.

Apparently he was lucky by just 1 mm that he was not Blinded in that Eye.

After release from Hospital and while recovering, he got an infection in the Eye, and had to go back in for another operation to remove a minute piece of this Disc that somehow was missed on the initial operation.

Another 4 weeks bolted on the bed

BE WARNED ! 

• Sad 1

Just now, Cake Monster said:

He used one of these things to cut off some seized pins in a Mould Tool, and the disc shattered when he was using it.

He spent 4 weeks in a Hospital with his head bolted into the bed so he could not move, after the Surgeons had removed a piece of this Disc from INSIDE his Eye.

Sounds unlikely.

The disks don't shatter, they just go all floppy.

And if you're using an angle grinder without eye protection, you deserve what you get, red hot iron filings fly off all the time.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds unlikely.

And if you're using an angle grinder without eye protection, you deserve what you get, red hot iron filings fly off all the time.

Ive had them explode like a grenade on many occasions, mostly 1mm disc though but have had a few 3mm one go as well.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds unlikely.

Unlikely maybe

But very real and true.

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yes and yes.

There should be a pin spanner to tighten the retaining nut.

I still have the spare brushes for all my tools :whistling:

That didn't survive, right? Yes, the knob is to stop it, but a key to hold the part where the disc is attached should be in the packet.

I don't think that the new brushes are needed. They might be worth more than the grinder.

If you want ,my old one with the very fishy bearing, please page me, it

s free. 

Edited by teacherclaire

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds unlikely.

Your right about the protection but the material has an influence. When cutting steel I usually have goggles and a face shield, as you say that steel is red hot and burns. With concrete it would be goggles and a face mask and with wood just the goggles.

You get disks for all sorts these days and all sorts of quality, had several steel cutting discs break up on me. They are very thin and with the slightest side pressure it's a goner.

I also have a chain saw but leave that permanently mounted, bit of a hassle to take off and on.

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds unlikely.

That just shows your lack of knowledge. Some disks may go floppy. Others do shatter or split or crack.

At about 9 mins

Over speed shatter and magic smoke escape 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I also have a chain saw but leave that permanently mounted, bit of a hassle to take off and on.

If that is the chainsaw disk it makes a potentially dangerous tool into a potentially deadly tool.

the incident is at about 7:48 the damage to the user was partly limited by the protection he was wearing but is still bad and probably some it lifelong

42 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That just shows your lack of knowledge. Some disks may go floppy. Others do shatter or split or crack.

At about 9 mins

Over speed shatter and magic smoke escape 

I'd almost lost my eyes when such un unbreakable disk shattered and I could feel the wind the parts made around my face.

No mask, no glasses, no nothing.

From that time on, I deeply respect such machines.

• Like 2

I have two rather crazy brothers-in-law who have repurposed angle grinders.  A chainsaw and a lawn mower.  Note the safety sandals.

image.png.73a156a0a47158d79b1859a573ceb0f4.png   image.jpeg.3bd709de213400552f39ac9af7c3ac76.jpeg

I only use quality, name brand grinding and cutoff discs.  I won't buy the cheap bargain store type. 

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I only use quality, name brand grinding and cutoff discs.  I won't buy the cheap bargain store type

While I also do the the same, what is the point of your statement?

If you think that the risk of failure or catastrophic disk shrapnel if one breaks up is gone you are mistaken. 

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I only use quality, name brand grinding and cutoff discs.  I won't buy the cheap bargain store type. 

I use cheap Chinese disks, 120bht for a 25 pack.

They go floppy when I break them, no chunks flying off.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mailtank-4-12-mm-25-i219056598-s332928234.html

Edited by BritManToo

46 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Which quality, brand name do you buy ?

I have some Sait and probably a couple original DeWalts. But Norton, 3M, Makita and Pferd come to mind.  Just don't cheap out, it's not worth it. I love "abrasive machining" but it scares me a bit. I have respect.  Do not push the limits.

Edited by Damrongsak

2 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I have some Sait and probably a couple original DeWalts. But Norton, 3M, Makita and Pferd come to mind.

Yeah I only use Pferd, great now that Hardware house stck them as they were expensive for me to personally import them.

• Like 1