Another question re the cheap angle grinder.

The el cheapo (250 Baht) angle driver arrived, needless to say the directions are pretty basic. Two questions, is the Lock Pin button (at the front) so you can screw the retaining washer tight?, and what is in the little plastic bag, looks like spare brushes, but how much use would the grinder need before the brushes need replacing?

P1050907.JPG

P1050908.JPG

P1050909.JPG

P1050910.JPG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many years back, while grinding without glasses,  I got a metal splinter in the eye.  At the hospital they deaden the eye with drops, clamp open your eyelids and dig the splinter out with a hypodermic

I don't use the tool tighten, just my hand.

Do Not Forget to wear those safety Glasses. Buy the best you can afford, as any impact from a fractured Grinding Disc Wheel will be severe Be advised by a life long Toolmaker and Machinist

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Yes and yes.

There should be a pin spanner to tighten the retaining nut.

I still have the spare brushes for all my tools :whistling:

Yes, have the spanner. Everything put together and it fires up ok. Bought some safety goggles and leather gloves as well.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Do Not Forget to wear those safety Glasses.

Buy the best you can afford, as any impact from a fractured Grinding Disc Wheel will be severe

Be advised by a life long Toolmaker and Machinist

I worked with a guy that had a piece of grinding wheel embedded into his brain because he used a grinding wheel with a low speed rating on a grinder with higher RPM's. It shattered and a large piece flew off into his forehead, left a horrendous scar and he was lucky not to sustain brain damage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The el cheapo (250 Baht) angle driver arrived, needless to say the directions are pretty basic.

Be careful with this one

i have had the same few years ago

after few hours of use, and at the first change of disc the safety lock of the disk was

out of order and i have seen the disc flight in the room at high speed

could be very risky, never again a cheap tool on something as dangerous as this one

• Like 1
1 hour ago, giddyup said:

is the Lock Pin button (at the front) so you can screw the retaining washer tight?

NO. It is not really. It is so you can lock the spindle to loosen the lock ring as to tightens in use. 

You certainly can use it to stop the spindle rotation when doing up the lock washer, however you need to use a mechanic’s feel for tightening not a gorilla.

If you over tighten you will cause stress in the disk leading soon to very exciting times and quite possibly an involuntary tour of local medical facilities.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Absolutely, for most disks.

There are a very few where the tool is needed, but none of them are the normal cutting, sanding or grinding disks.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Many years back, while grinding without glasses,  I got a metal splinter in the eye.  At the hospital they deaden the eye with drops, clamp open your eyelids and dig the splinter out with a hypodermic needle. 

It's an unforgettable experience, you certainly can't look away.  Do buy some good safety goggles.

Done that a few times but there was no eye drops and the doc used a scalpel.

fun times !!

19 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I always just tighten the disc in place by hand.

The actual rotation of the machine in use should self tighten the disc wheel to keep it secure in use.

Dont forget to eye the disc when you first mount it for wobble and run out. 

I will tell you all a story of a young man I worked with many years ago in the Toolroom.

He used one of these things to cut off some seized pins in a Mould Tool, and the disc shattered when he was using it.

He spent 4 weeks in a Hospital with his head bolted into the bed so he could not move, after the Surgeons had removed a piece of this Disc from INSIDE his Eye.

Apparently he was lucky by just 1 mm that he was not Blinded in that Eye.

After release from Hospital and while recovering, he got an infection in the Eye, and had to go back in for another operation to remove a minute piece of this Disc that somehow was missed on the initial operation.

Another 4 weeks bolted on the bed

BE WARNED ! 

• Sad 1
Just now, Cake Monster said:

He used one of these things to cut off some seized pins in a Mould Tool, and the disc shattered when he was using it.

He spent 4 weeks in a Hospital with his head bolted into the bed so he could not move, after the Surgeons had removed a piece of this Disc from INSIDE his Eye.

Sounds unlikely.

The disks don't shatter, they just go all floppy.

And if you're using an angle grinder without eye protection, you deserve what you get, red hot iron filings fly off all the time.

• Sad 1